Sweet Valley Twins #42: Jessica’s Secret

SVT042The Moral of the Story: Elizabeth Wakefield is more mature than you. Because she’s gotten her period.

The Big Deal: Trip to San Diego

Well, it’s finally happened. A Sweet Valley resident is having a normal bodily function. Elizabeth Wakefield has gotten her period. Blossomed into womanhood and all that. She assumes Jessica’s gotten hers, too, because they’re twins, but alas, Jessica is still just a little girl. Jess is bummed for a minute, but when Alice makes a big deal about the twins being so grown up now, she decides to make the best of things and ask if she and Liz can go to San Diego to visit their cousin Robin.

I guess the idea of being around two preteen girls on their period is rather frightening to the Wakefield parents, so they immediately agree to let the twins go to San Diego by themselves. Lila and the rest of the Unicorns are totally jealous, and they gush about it at lunch. (Gushing pun not intended, but I’m keeping it there.) Suddenly, however, the eighth-grade Unicorns start talking about PMS breakouts and junk, and Jessica gets all aggravated and resentful of people who have already gotten their periods. Jessica expresses this aggravation by making fun of Liz’s clothes.

When the twins get to San Diego, they find Robin has turned into another Jessica. She’s all into boys and makeup and she’s been invited to join a super exclusive club at school called the Jaguars. She tells the twins she has a sixteen-year-old boyfriend named Johnny who drives a red convertible, but it’s obvious to me that she’s lying. Then she starts yapping about how she sure could use a cigarette right about now. Oh, she’s just the coolest.

Robin’s parents tell her she can have a slumber party on the condition that she invite her old friend Becky. Becky was Robin’s best buddy before Robin was asked to join the Jaguars, but now Robin is much too mature for a goody-goody like her. I predict Becky and Liz will get along splendidly.

The “Jags” show up and act like snotty bitches. They haven’t brought sleeping bags or anything because slumber parties are sooooo lame, and they make fun of Becky for no reason. The only reason they bothered to show up at all is because they’ve decided tonight is the night for Robin’s initiation into the Jaguars. She has to sneak into Johnny’s house and get him to drive her to the park, where the Jags will be waiting for them. Liz thinks that doesn’t sound too difficult, considering Johnny is Robin’s boyfriend, but Robin seems awfully nervous.

Becky and Liz stay behind while Jessica and Robin leave with the rest of the bitches. Becky tells Liz a mysterious story about another Jag initiation; the girl being initiated was out of school for the next week and wouldn’t tell anyone what happened. Now Liz is afraid something will happen to Robin. Thanks, Beck. Meanwhile, Jessica and Robin walk to Johnny’s house, and Robin confesses along the way that Johnny doesn’t actually know who she is. She sneaks into his house anyway, only to discover that it is not, in fact, Johnny’s house.

Back at Robin’s, Liz is worrying herself sick. Robin’s little sister, Stacey, comes out for a glass of water, and she wakes up her parents when she discovers Robin and most of her friends missing. Robin’s parents take off to go look for them, and when they bring Robin and Jessica back to the house, Jessica is furious that Liz tattled (Liz doesn’t explain that she didn’t do the tattling). Liz and Becky sleep in the family room that night, and Liz sits outside with her while Becky waits for her dad to pick her up the next morning. This is where they would promise to find each other on Facebook, if such a thing had existed back then.

Jessica doesn’t speak to Liz until they’re about halfway home to Sweet Valley. They have to change buses, and Jessica, naturally, messes things up by wandering around the bus station while the bus pulls away. Luckily, I guess, Liz got off the bus to look for Jessica, so they’re stranded together. They make up because there’s really nothing better to do. Jessica apologizes for being so snotty. She confesses that she never got her period, and then she goes to the bathroom to discover she’s just gotten it. Hooray?

How much longer can I go on pretending? Jessica wondered. She knew that sooner or later someone was bound to figure out the awful truth.

She makes it sound like she’s murdered someone.

Robin: So, what do you think of the Jags?

Liz: Well, it’s awfully soon to judge. Besides, what I think isn’t important. It’s what you think that matters, Robin.

Oh, just say you hate them and be done with it.

The Cover: Ironically, that’s the face I make when I know my period is about to start.

Tags: ,

Comments
  • Erica Chestnut May 5, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I don’t know why but I remember really loving this book when I was a kid. Mrs. Wakefield should have been straight with her daughters before this happened about how much they would detest their periods after they had gotten them. Then, maybe it wouldn’t have seemed so great to Jessica and she could have sympathized with Liz instead of being jealous of her. Also, I think this was just another mark in the parents of the year award roster for the Wakefields. Just because one of your kids gets hers you assume the other one did, too. Really, I remember being perplexed by that, myself, as a kid. After all, my friends and I didn’t all start the same day. And, one of the main themes in these books is how the twins look alike but are sooo different yet their parents just assume their bodies operate on the exact same schedule. Great job Alice and Ned.

• Leslie May 5, 2014 at 3:23 pm

So because they’re twins their bodies work exactly the same and I’m also slightly confused by something. In a previous book Mr and Mrs Wakefield wouldn’t let them get their freaking ears pierced because they were too young. However, they felt they were mature enough to go to San Diego by themselves. I’m confused.

• Kanna-Chan May 5, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Leslie

That’s Sweet Valley logic for you.

• 137 Times May 6, 2014 at 5:23 am

Liz is really dumb to think identical twins’ bodies work the same way. I thought she was supposed to be the smart twin.

• Kanna-Chan May 6, 2014 at 7:59 am

137 Times

Well, compared to Jessica, a microwave is smarter than her. The only one dumber is Ellen.

• Whallie May 6, 2014 at 2:12 pm

HAHA! I happen to be on my period right now while reading this. It reminds me of back when my friend and I were wondering when were were going to become “women”. I remember being super excited the first time I had gotten mine. OK…. now that I’ve been getting it every month for 15 years. Good grief! Please put me out of this misery. Funny how much we don’t want it anymore.

• Leslie May 6, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Kanna Chan fair point this IS Sweet Valley

• Darren May 17, 2014 at 11:57 pm

I love that book too. It was great to read about Robin/Stacey the Wakefield cousins. I can imagine Robin looking like the eldest girl from the Nanny in ‘Maggie’ with the short hair. Stacey would look like the Sweet Valley Kids girl Jessica Farrell. I guess the girls’ ‘moment’ comes at varied ages. Of course if this was real time, the twins would be 13 years old instead of 12 in book time. One has to feel bad of Jessica’s insecurity about when her period was coming, but Jessica should’ve realized she was born 4 minutes later.

• Jessica P June 12, 2014 at 1:40 am

I just remember as a 12-year-old catching up on books I missed in the series, an I had to special request this title because Waldenbooks didn’t normally carry it, because it was sooooo….ooooo “edgy”. I am pretty sure any book dealing with the dreaded Aunt Flow was considered “edgy” back then. I wonder if these types of books are difficult for tweens to find these days.

• Julia May 29, 2015 at 6:53 pm

I just found this blog and have been reading it nonstop. It is hilarious. My daughter just started reading all of my old SVT books and she just got to this one. She’s 10 and asked me if this was too grown up for her, which made me laugh because I read this when I was 9. This book made me ask my mom about periods. My mom was much more honest than Alice and told me it sucked!

• KannaChan June 24, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Guh, Jessica was so bitchy in this book.

• Alex Kennedy July 9, 2016 at 6:48 am

Jessica certainly is a loyal sister, isn’t she? In response to all the Unicorner talk, she decides to insult Liz instead. I personally think the name “Unicorner” is the most brilliant invention in this series. I am surprised that they have not yet convinced the school to paint it purple, but I digress.

Robin seems to be an example of another girl who leaves her “best buddy” behind when Robin was asked to join the Jaguars. Good going, Robin! Becky probably had Robin’s back before Robin deserted her.

• Alex Kennedy October 19, 2016 at 11:19 am

Of course Jessica would get her period by the end of the book. Things always work out well for the Wakefields.

• Jenna October 28, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Jess looks so pretty on this cover. And I love her unicorn earrings. So precious.

• Alex Kennedy November 16, 2016 at 8:37 am

Periods are also mentioned in “Standing Out” (#25) – aren’t they???

• This series is very odd August 9, 2017 at 7:34 am

Why are some girls such b*tches? They always seem to be making fun of someone ie. too fat/ their hair is wrong/ their clothing – had Facebook beeen around at the time of this book, the Unicorns would likely have their own page and make fun ofothers on it. Mean Girls is a brilliant example of how horrible teenagers can be and it is perpetrated by social media. I feel sorry for children who are made fun of on-line. See the film “Trust” or “Cyberbully.” There is also a UK film about a girl who made fun of someone online (the girl’s name was Rachel) and someone accused her of being a troll. It starred Maisie williams and it wasa 2015 film called “Cyberully.” Had the Internet been around in SV time, it would have been horrific for people bullied by other girls. Rant over.