Sweet Valley Twins #28: April Fool!

The Moral of the Story: April Fool’s Day is the worst.

The Big Deal: April Fool’s Day

Well, it’s April Fool’s Day and the twins are all excited about their traditional April Fool twin switch. But they’ve decided to do it differently this year. Instead of pretending to be each other, they’re going to pretend to pretend to be each other. So they’re going to dress as themselves but even more themselves, if you know what I mean. Jessica’s going to wear more makeup than usual and Liz is going to look nerdier than usual. There’s a big April Fool party in the gym that night and that’s where they’ll let everyone in on the joke. It’s going to be awesome.

The day doesn’t start off very awesome for Liz. She wins an essay contest, but Mr. Davis makes Jessica accept the award, a year’s subscription to the magazine of her choice. Now, Liz has thought long and hard about her choices and she finally decided on a mystery magazine, so she is devastated when Jessica goes ahead and asks for Teen Rock. Then, after class, he gives Liz-as-Jess a detention for a note Jessica passed one day. Liz runs to her next class and gets another detention from Mr. Clark for running in the halls. In cooking class, Liz makes the best soufflé ever, but Jessica gets the A while Liz gets Jessica’s C.

More confusion all day long. The entire school is all about April Fool’s Day and the jokes never seem to stop. Even Mr. Clark makes a fake announcement about the buses being canceled so everyone has to walk home (Lois Waller gets upset because, you know, she’s fat). After school, Liz is relieved to find that both her detentions have been postponed, but the Unicorns come along to ruin her day some more. They tell Liz-as-Jess that they’re doing a car wash and since she’s late, she’s the only one left who hasn’t washed a car. After she washes this Mercedes at the service station, the Unicorns yell, “April Fool!” at her. When Liz gets home, she gets in trouble because Jessica was supposed to mail some important plans for Mrs. Wakefield and she apparently forgot. Liz’s punishment is that she has to come to a Town Council meeting with her parents instead of going to the party. Meanwhile, Jessica-as-Liz gets to go to Amy’s to swim before the party.

The Council meeting is being held in the school library. When they get to the school, Mrs. Wakefield says “Liz” called earlier because she spilled something on her shirt and needs another one. She hands Liz a bag and tells her to go to the gym and give it to Jessica. Everyone in the gym looks at her and whispers and giggles. Then Mr. Wakefield calls her Elizabeth and says this is her party. The misunderstandings all day have been part of a big April Fool joke on Liz, cooked up by Jessica, of course. Liz thinks about being mad, but, you know, there’s a cake and everything so she just enjoys her party.

Lois Waller heaved an enormous sigh of relief and pushed her chair back from the table. “Thank heavens,” she said. “I won’t have to walk home after all!” She got up and went to the end of the lunch line for a second helping.

Because she’s fat. Don’t forget, Lois Waller is fat.

Jessica nodded happily. “Do you remember when we were scheming yesterday…and I suddenly remembered I had to tell Mom something?”

“What she had to tell me,” Mrs. Wakefield said, “was that you’d agreed to her April Fools’ idea – which was really a joke on you!”

I think Alice is taking a little too much joy in this. Liz had a miserable day.

The Cover: I LOVED Jessica on this cover. I tried to emulate that look as much as possible. Liz looks stupid and I don’t even want to look at her.

Tags: , ,

Comments
  • Amanda June 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Jessica’s such a tard. I was so mad at her when I finished this book the first time. I also was slightly annoyed and slightly happy with Liz. Annoyed that she had no spine, but pleased at what a good sport and good person she was. A little TOO good, if you ask me….

• Amiee June 13, 2012 at 2:41 am

Ditto on the last point Shannon and when I enlarged it I noticed the little horse brooch Liz is wearing.

• Kim June 14, 2012 at 12:31 am

The Lois Waller fat shenanigans really give me the giggles. Didn’t she celebrate some fabulous event one time by chugging down an entire cheesecake? I’m amazed they never had her sitting down a chair only to have it splinter. I always picture her as the mother from “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?” or the weird vampire blob from “Blade.”

Yes, the cheesecake! I can’t remember if that was Lois or Robin, but it definitely happened.

Kim Reply:

Oh yeah, hahahaha! It was Robin that slogged down the cheesecake because she got to rush PBA.

• Whallie June 15, 2012 at 8:37 am

So then, all of the teachers were on on the prank too? And the school has an April Fools dance! No wonder why these kids grew up as bullies and rapists. I’m slightly confused, but this school sounds like a bunch of a-holes are running it, and of course they need to listen to a 12-year-old Wakefield otherwise their lives are just empty and pathetic. Last I checked, teachers don’t tell you you have detention days later after you did something wrong. That’s harassment and something Mr. Wakefield should look into as a lawsuit. Why am I so upset about this? LOL

Haha, I get upset about Sweet Valley things, too. It’s really sad.

• Kathryn June 17, 2012 at 6:30 am

Is Lois Waller fat? I didn’t quite get that … XD

• Michelle June 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

No wonder I grew up so confused in life. These books left me permanently scarred. 🙂

Seriously I hate Jessica more than ever now. April Fool or not that was amean trick for Jess to play on her sister, and Liz was a stupid as ever being a total doormat letting her sister walk all over her. Boy, I wonder how I could have ever loved these books. I think I love your reviews WAY more.

Michelle Reply:

And why the heck does Liz look like she is ready for a hoedown?

• Jacci August 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I’ve been waiting for you to review this book because it drove me CRAZY as a kid.
    Jess and Liz only started dressing differently at the beginning on sixth grade. This is their first April Fool’s dressing differently. So how did they ALWAYS dress as each other?
    Seriously, I must have read this book about 20 years ago and I’ve been angry about it since then.

• Kate March 22, 2013 at 6:57 am

Liz looks fat on this cover. Maybe she should walk home from school.

• kylie April 4, 2013 at 12:28 am

Hahaha, this was actually pretty funny, pile on Liz!

• Krista December 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm

“Because she’s fat. Don’t forget, Lois Waller is fat.”

Lest we forget, the authors will make sure that Lois conforms to every fat stereotype there is.

• Anonymous April 3, 2014 at 1:29 am

LOIS. WALLER. IS. FAT.

• Steff September 18, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I agree on the cover … Jess looks amazing and Elizabeth looks soooo dumb. I liked the prank! the only thing that amazed me back then, was that Elizabeth could cook so perfectly… but again as you said, they did all the cooking in the house right??

Plus it was the first time in my life I heard about April Fool, not even my english teacher could explain me… Had to figure it out by myself… Im not from USA 🙂

• Alex Kennedy July 17, 2016 at 9:30 am

At the beginning of the book, Mrs W appears to have changed her hairstyle (I guess she no longer can be mistaken for the twins’ older sister). The twins pretend to like it, but then it transpires that she was wearing a wig. This happens first thing in the morning and presumably Mrs W was blonde when she went to bed the previous night. Did she think that her family would believe that she attended some late night or early morning hairdresser? “And I am wearing a wig.” Ha ha!!! Alice, you joker…

• Alex Kennedy March 12, 2017 at 5:47 am

^^^Jacci makes an excellent point.

• Ghostwriter March 13, 2017 at 8:42 am

1. I thought Jessica was not allowed to wear make-up.
    2. The trick is that the twins will dress “more like themselves” and emphasise their differences. The “joke” is that they will not switch places. The twins only commenced dressing differently a few months ago. Shame shame shame… The wool shall not be pulled over our eyes!!! 🙂

• Alex Kennedy March 13, 2017 at 8:57 am

I know this is sad, but please forgive me for my rant and this website provides an excellent forum at which to vent my absolute rage. Jacci (whose comment is above) is absolutely right. Why did I not pick up on this? It is like a huge erupting pimple on one’s face. How could I not have picked up on it. Presumably for the past few years, Elizabeth has laid out their respective outfits and that leads me to believe that the twins should possess identical wardrobes. How is it then – once Jessica decided to deviate from this – that Jessica suddenly accumulates this Jessica-like wardrobe? It just does not make sense! Surely when Negligent Ned and Absent Alice purchased the clothing, the items they bought would have been identical. How is it then that Jessica suddenly has short skirts and flashy clothing? Severe continuity alert!!!

• Can't their family tell the twins apart? March 21, 2017 at 4:48 am

This book is really dumb. Can’t their own family tell them apart? That is really sad.

• Can't their family tell the twins apart? March 21, 2017 at 8:31 am

^^^ I must say – I agree with Jacci 100%. It was such a silly tick to play on somebody.

• Jessica is Evil March 23, 2017 at 10:07 am

This book made me so angry!!! I read it years and years and years ago and it still bothers me to this day. Liz might have been emotionally scarred by all of this. What a stupid joke to play in her. Jessica is so mean – but I guess this was the beginning of Jessica becoming unbalanced. SPOLIER ALERT – Now I can almost see the path upon which Jessica embarked when she spiked her sister’s drink and almost ruined her sister’s life.

• Alex Kennedy April 28, 2017 at 9:04 am

This is one of the few books in SVT and SVH where the twins do not look as if they are going to kill one another.