Sweet Valley Twins #6: The New Girl

The Moral of the Story: You have to be nice to bitchy people because they might just be sad children of divorce.

The Big Deal: Birthday slumber party at Lila’s, surprise birthday party at the Wakefields’

There’s a new girl in the neighborhood. Her name is Brooke Dennis and Jessica already hates her because she was a total bitch the one time they met while Jessica was walking Mrs. Bramble’s dog. Mrs. Wakefield is doing the interior design work for Mr. Dennis’ house, and brother Steven is all excited because Mr. Dennis is a famous screenwriter. Jessica doesn’t care who he is, she still hates Brooke. I guess this is before Jessica’s obsession with becoming an actress, because you know if this was high school she’d be all over pretending to like that bitch to get in Brooke’s father’s next film.

Mrs. Wakefield invites Brooke and her father over for dinner, and Liz gets to see firsthand what a bitch Brooke is. She and Jessica are both horrified when Mrs. Wakefield volunteers the twins to walk with Brooke to school the next day. Jessica gets out of the walk by claiming she needs a ride from her dad, so Liz has to do it alone. She tries to be nice, but Brooke shuts her down. Then Brooke proceeds to make everyone at Sweet Valley Middle School hate her.

After Brooke ruins a poster Jessica made for English class, Jessica invents a Wakefield triplet named Jennifer. “Jennifer” always wears a bow in her hair and she talks in a whisper, and for some reason Brooke really likes her. She asks Jennifer to go to the basketball game that night, but Jessica can’t do it because she has to cheer. She gets Liz to pretend to be Jennifer for the evening. Brooke is actually nice to “Jennifer” during the game and Liz starts feeling bad about tricking her, but then Brooke says some really mean things about Jessica. Liz’s resolve is strengthened.

Lila has a slumber party for her birthday, and Liz is invited for some reason. During the party, she tells everyone that Brooke’s birthday is on Monday and she didn’t want Jennifer to tell anyone. Jessica decides that’s the perfect time to get even with Brooke for being such a snot. There’s a book fair assembly on Monday, and the girls get Jerry McAllister and Bruce Patman to build a collapsible chair for Brooke to sit in at the assembly.

Elizabeth, as Jennifer, has lunch with Brooke before the assembly, and Brooke cries to her about her parents’ divorce and the fact that her father was too busy that morning to wish her a happy birthday. She says Jennifer is the first friend she’s ever had, and Liz feels like crap.  She tries to get Brooke to sit in a different chair at the assembly, but Jessica makes sure Brooke sits in the rigged seat. Everyone starts laughing at her when she falls through the chair, and they laugh even harder when she tries to explain to Mr. Bowman that Jennifer made her sit there. When she realizes there is no Jennifer, she runs off. Liz follows her and tries to apologize and say she really wants to be Brooke’s friend, but Brooke says she doesn’t care and then walks away.

When the twins get home, their mother says Brooke’s dad called her and filled her in on everything the twins did. The twins feel awful, and they invite everyone over to come up with a plan to make it up to Brooke. I guess everyone feels bad all of a sudden, and they all decide to throw a big surprise birthday party for her. They bake a cake and decorate the Wakefield house, but Brooke refuses to come over because she hates the twins.

The twins go to Brooke’s house and apologize for everything, and Brooke agrees to come back to the house with them. The party is a smashing success and now Brooke has tons of friends. On top of that, a long talk with Mrs. Wakefield has shown Mr. Dennis the error of his ways, and now he plans to be around for Brooke more often. Perfect Sweet Valley ending.

“Well,” Mrs. Wakefield began, “it sounds as if Brooke’s a very confused young lady. I, for one, intend to have a long talk with that busy father of hers.”

Oh, excellent. Parenting advice from Mrs. Wakefield.

The Cover: You guys, you have no idea how much I loved Jennifer’s outfit on this cover. I wanted that oversized red cardigan so bad.

Tags:

Comments
  • Amanda March 23, 2011 at 10:02 am

Welcome Back! I didn’t realize how much I missed your funny comments. :)

Thank you! It’s good to be back.

• Sara March 23, 2011 at 10:54 am

HAHA, maybe Mrs Wakefield should worry about how she’s never really there for her own children instead of worrying about Brooke and her father.

• Meredith March 23, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I am almost scared to admit how much of this book I remember.

The twins eating everything in the house while studying math, including the donuts Mrs. W bought to impress Brooke’s dad. Luckily she had a pie on hand, too.

And when Amy called the “triplets” lookalikes so not to give it away when a teacher corners Elizabeth as Jennifer.

OK, only two thing. That’s not bad, right?

The number of things I find myself remembering about these books is just depressing sometimes.

• rachierach March 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Isn’t this the one where they have “Jennifer” dress in Steven’s clothes? OK, how sad it is that I remember that!

Yes! She looks totally cool in his oversized sweaters!

• hkudra March 27, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I am so happy you are reporting on the Twins series!

• Selenie April 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

“You guys, you have no idea how much I loved Jennifer’s outfit on this cover. I wanted that oversized red cardigan so bad.”

Me too! OMG that was the first thing I thought when I started reading this- thank you so much for putting up all these covers!

• Michelle April 23, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I too wanted that red cardigan. I used to try and copy the looks from the cover of these books. How lame was I? LOL This was actually my favorite book in the SWT series.

• Beth June 17, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Man I loved Brooke in this book she had awesome insults towards Jessica and Co.

• alicia July 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm

This was my favourite Sweet Valley Twins book! Still have it somewhere, with a slightly different cover but same illustration. Must have read it 5 times or something, just for the novelty of the twins pretending they’re triplets. I almost wished “Jennifer” was real as kid.

And the fake chair prank is so innocent in comparison to what kids do to each other these days.

• pibetaalpha September 3, 2011 at 1:30 am

I can’t believe how evil the kids were in this one! Everyone working together, “Jennifer,” smuggling that chair off and then back on campus so the boys could tamper with it…shiver.

Though I liked it when Lila teases Brooke about her clothes at the basketball game. “Oh, Brooke. No one told you that we don’t require formal dress at athletic events in Sweet Valley.” :-D

• Sidney December 2, 2014 at 7:35 pm

These book reviews are just awesome – riddled with laugh out loud jokes. What I never understood about this particular SVT book (even as a kid) is why Brooke was so hostile to everyone but automatically took a shine to “Jennifer” for no particular reason. Psychologically very suspect :)