Sweet Valley Twins #5: Sneaking Out

The Moral of the Story: Johnny Buck does not love you.

The Big Deal: Johnny Buck concert

Super rock star Johnny Buck is coming to Sweet Valley, but Mr. and Mrs. Wakefield won’t let the twins go because they’re too young. Liz, ever the optimist, decides she’ll just have to be the best daughter ever so maybe her parents will let her go to the next concert. But Jessica wants to go to this one, dammit. She starts thinking of ways to earn the money for a ticket. She’s determined to get Johnny to sign the cap he threw to her from his hotel window when he was in town last year.

Some old woman named Mrs. Bramble needs someone to watch her dog for a few days, and Jessica thinks this is the perfect job for her even though she’s terrified of dogs. As you can expect, the second Jessica gets the dog home, she totally ignores it and lets the rest of the family take care of it. Meanwhile, she’s telling all her friends that she’s meeting Johnny Buck after the show and that he’s all excited to be an honorary Unicorn.

Jessica manages to avoid Sally the dog until Saturday morning, when nobody else is home. She walks Sally and then starts looking for something to wear to the concert that night. She settles on the brand new dress Elizabeth was going to wear to the sixth grade dance, along with the gold hoop earrings Liz bought their mother for her birthday.

Mrs. Bramble calls and says her bus has been delayed and she won’t make it back to Sweet Valley until later that night. Jessica freaks out because there’s nobody home to watch Sally. She tethers Sally to a tree in the backyard and leaves, and as soon as she’s gone, Sally darts after a stupid cat and Jessica’s knot comes undone. When Liz gets home and discovers Sally is missing, she calls Amy in a panic and they both search the neighborhood for the dog. They don’t find her, and Mrs. Wakefield is home when they get back to Liz’s house.

Because Jessica was deceitful and this is a children’s book, she has a terrible time at the concert. She leaves her seat to get closer to the stage, and loses sight of Lila in the crowd. When she gets near the front, she notices a bunch of other girls with caps exactly like the one Johnny threw to her. Believe it or not, Jessica thought Johnny had singled her out and thrown her that hat because he loved her or something, so she’s totally humiliated when she realizes he’s been handing them out all over the place. She never does get his autograph, and she mopes all the way home.

Mrs. Wakefield is furious that Jessica was so irresponsible as to leave Sally alone just so she could “go to Lila’s and hang out,” and she has to explain things to Mrs. Bramble when she shows up to get her dog. Alice wants to go to the Fowlers’ to get Jessica and make her help look for Sally, but Liz doesn’t want Jessica to get in trouble for sneaking off to the Johnny Buck concert. She suggests they go to Mrs. Bramble’s house first to see if maybe Sally made her way home.

Sally is, in fact, at Mrs. Bramble’s house. Mrs. Wakefield insists on going to get Jessica and making her apologize. Liz knocks on Lila’s door and gets pissed when she sees Jessica wearing her dress and only one of her mother’s earrings. She still doesn’t tell her mother what Jessica did, and she warns Jessica that she’s going to have to pay Mrs. Bramble her $25 back.

At Mrs. Bramble’s house, Jessica starts crying and she confesses everything to Mrs. Bramble, who takes pity on her. She tells Jessica she can tell her mother she refused to take the money, but Jessica will have to pay it back by walking Sally every day for the next month. All’s well that ends well.

Elizabeth couldn’t bear to see her twin punished, even when she deserved it!

Why not?

The Cover: I like the tagline: Will Elizabeth tell her parents if Jessica sneaks out to the rock concert? The answer is no. It’s always no.

Tags:

Comments
  • Sara March 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm

HA HA.
    So true.

• rachierach March 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Hey, Shannon, you should let readers know that Francine Pascal will be speaking at Barnes and Nobles in Manhattan (The one on the Upper East Side) on March 29th at 7pm. Unfortunately, I will be in Miami that week, but if anyone else can make it….I’m sure we’re all curious what she will say about the new book!

Thanks, I had no idea! I so wish I could go!

• MV March 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm

This was one of my favorites when I was 6 or 7, haha. Seeing this cover brings me right back to rummaging through my sister’s Sweet Valley Twins books when I was that age!

• Jessica Squits the Quad March 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm

That fug outfit she’s wearing on the cover certainly doesn’t look like Elizabeth’s brand new dress.

• Meredith March 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Who would wear a dress to a concert?

• Afrancis July 21, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Do Jessica’s jeans have a zipper at the bottom?! LOL!! I think I had a pair of those!!

• Anonymous August 5, 2011 at 7:51 am

Jessica hates dog in this book – but later loves dogs in the SVH when she get Prince ALbert

• cody yann January 23, 2012 at 2:38 am

tnx so much

• Valeria February 27, 2013 at 11:12 pm

This blog rules. I finished my 50 page book report in 10 minutes.

• 137 Times May 4, 2014 at 10:16 pm

How can Jessica wear earrings? The first time she gets them piereced is in The Twins Get Caught. Ghostwriter seems to have forgotten that.

• Lila of the Valley July 27, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I think it’s this dog that gets her liking all dogs.

• KannaChan July 28, 2015 at 10:41 pm

137 Times

That’s what I was thinking. But I think they have different ghostwriters. Some books tend to be written somewhat differently than others. But then again, maybe the earrings were clip-ons?

• Steffy September 29, 2015 at 5:47 pm

This is one of the books I´ve never read in english ( the first 6 were published in spanish in my country)
    My thoughts now:
    Sally was adorable, and Jess was mean to her 🙁
    Lila could easily buy Jess a ticket (don´t know how much $25 dls were back then) but then… no story right?
    How amazing was that dress that Jessica consider it was PERFECT for a concert (since Liz doesn´t have that much taste)

Still good

• Alex Kennedy August 17, 2016 at 5:12 am

I love Jessica’s hair on the cover.

• Natasha October 21, 2016 at 11:29 am

I’m rereading svh and up no 61. SVT no 5 was actually referenced when they got Prince Albert…can’t remember which svh book that was though. Continuity!

• Alex Kennedy February 8, 2017 at 8:29 am

If Sally actually did get lost permanently and Mrs B took her case to Judge Judy, the Judge might say: “You let a twelve year old girl take care of your dog? I would not even let her take care of a goldfish! She has the brains of an amoeba!”