Sweet Valley High Senior Year #43: It Takes Two

The Moral of the Story: Making a dinner reservation is hard work.

College Woes: Melissa and Will get acceptance letters from east coast colleges and they each think it’s great that they’ll be getting away from the other. Evan gets a letter from Berkeley that says he’s on the waiting list, so he cries to Jade that he wasn’t accepted. She tries to teach him the difference between being rejected and being wait-listed, but Evan just wants to feel sorry for himself. Tia’s gotten acceptance letters from just about everywhere, including Berkeley, and Evan freaks on her when she says she’s not sure whether she wants to go to Berkeley or one of the other schools she applied to.

Evan sucks: Evan talks to his guidance counselor and finds out that Berkeley usually only accepts three students from Sweet Valley High, and that if one of them decides not to go, Evan will be moved up the waiting list. Jade convinces him that Tia would be a huge jerk if she didn’t hand over her spot to him. Tia flips out and tells Evan it’s completely out of line for him to ask her to give up her spot just for him. Evan calls Liz and tells her everything that’s been going on, and Liz tells Tia it’s not fair of her to not give her spot to Evan. Ah, there’s the meddlesome bitch we’ve been missing. Welcome back, Liz.

Tia goes to a Berkeley symposium and discovers it’s really not the place for her because the academics are too rigorous and somebody gives her a mean look when she asks about cheerleading. On her way out, she runs into Evan, who came to check things out. Tia tells him she’s not going to Berkeley and she hopes he gets in.

Melissa and Will are codependent: After being caught trying to get with Aaron, Melissa tries to call all her friends to tell them to ignore Cherie. Sadly for her, Cherie has gotten to them first and now everyone is mad at Melissa. Melissa decides she’s above all that now because she’s going to the east coast for college so none of this high school crap matters anymore. She loudly announces at cheerleading practice that she’s going to Smith. At First and Ten later, Cherie and the gang start gossiping and Will finds out about Smith. He’s hurt that Melissa would apply to an east coast school when they had planned to stay in California. Um, Will. You broke up. Who cares where she’s going to school?

While getting dressed for cheerleading practice one day, Cherie starts yapping about Will getting accepted to NYU. So now Melissa is hurt about all the same stupid crap Will was hurt about. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO? Melissa stops what she’s doing and puts her regular clothes back on. She tells everyone she’s quitting the squad because she’s going to be too busy getting ready for college. When Will finds out, he gets worried about all the changes Melissa is making in her life and he calls her to make sure she’s not going to try to kill herself again. Melissa hangs up on him.

Melissa goes to a seminar about Smith, but doesn’t feel like she fits in with the other girls. She kind of loses it when she says her personal heroine is some lip gloss creator and everyone looks at her like she’s crazy. She decides Smith isn’t the right place for her after all. So she goes home and now she’s sure she and Will belong together. Hate you, hate you, hate you.

Melissa goes to Will’s with the intention of getting back together. She apologizes for hanging up on him the night before, but gets pissed when Will asks if she’s going to apologize for trying to hook up with Aaron. Melissa says she was just trying to get back at him for kissing Erika, but Will insists it’s not the same thing. They argue for a bit, and then Will tells Melissa to go away and never come back. But then the next day, Will starts walking down the street to mail his acceptance letter to NYU and ends up going to Melissa’s instead. Because he “needs” her. They get back together for about the hundredth time.

Wakefield antics: Jessica suddenly remembers that her parents’ twenty-fifth anniversary is coming up. She and Liz and Steven were supposed to plan something, but now Liz is all wrapped up in Jeffrey and Steven is too busy being a cool college guy and nobody has anything planned. Steve returns Jessica’s call and ends up talking to Liz. They talk about booking a sushi place called Saki, but Steven says they should check it out first. Liz says she can’t but that Jessica is off the next night. Steve tells Liz to tell Jessica to be there at six o’clock. Of course Liz forgets and Steve gets pissed at Jessica for being a ditz.

Jessica yells at Liz, and then they decide to meet at their parents’ favorite restaurant, Le Chateau, to make a reservation. Why can’t they just call to make the reservation? Liz ends up having to go to Scope to work on something important, and Jessica waits around for her outside the restaurant for about twenty minutes before she gets pissed and goes inside to do it herself. Meanwhile, Liz keeps calling the restaurant in the hopes of talking to Jessica, but since Jessica’s outside, the guy answering the phone doesn’t know she’s there. God, this is so damned stupid. Why does it take two of you to make a reservation anyway? At home that night, Jessica asks Liz where she was and gets pissed when Liz says she figured Jessica just forgot.

The party ends up being wonderful, but nobody thanks Jessica. Everyone assumes Liz and Steve planned the whole thing. After Mrs. Wakefield makes a speech about how many to-do lists Elizabeth must have gone through, Jessica gets up and runs off to the bathroom to cry. Liz follows her and tries to calm her down, but then the hostess comes in and says Liz has a phone call from Jeff. Liz immediately gets up to go talk to him, and Jessica tells her that this is her real problem. Liz cares about everyone but her and everyone thinks she’s so great and that Jessica is so irresponsible. Oh man, I hope Jessica doesn’t try to run away again or join a cult.

The Cover: I think this is supposed to be Will and Melissa, but until I actually read the book I thought that chick was Tia. Stupid new cover models. And wow, that guy is ugly.

Tags: ,

Comments
  • Fran May 24, 2010 at 12:28 pm

What exactly are these book about? Ugh, only 5 more!!

I’ve been wondering that myself. They’re SO BAD.

• Anonymous May 24, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Have you finished the entire series yet? If not, you should have that date marked on the calendar with stars and exclamation points.

The Evan situation was just awful. Nobody sided with Tia on that one? I personally think Evan was way out of line.

I was going to comment on all the other storylines, but I have nothing good to say about any of them, so I’ll just stay quiet 🙂

I’m almost finished, and believe me, I can’t wait to be done! The last recap of this series should be up next Friday, June 4.

• Sandy May 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I want to throw up.

• The One With... May 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Evan seems totally whiney in this one. And what’s with Elizabeth saying Tia shouldn’t go to Berkeley so Evan has a chance? WTF??? That’s ridiculously unfair. Getting wait listed sucks, but sheesh. Chill.

Lauri Reply:

I will say I went to high school with a girl who got upset that 2 others from our class applied to Duke, which blocked her from being accepted. I was pretty good friends with her Mom, so I knew she had a snowball’s chance of actually attending.
    I think I might want to start a list of the number of times Liz screws up and acts self-righteous, while Jessica actually acts like a normal 17 year old.

I agree. Why would anyone think that was okay?

• Claire May 24, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I’m sure my hair is thinning each time I read a recap haha. TEAM TIA. If some whingy boy bitch had a go at me and told me to give him my uni spot I’d punch him in the face and just go in spite of him.

NYU would be 1000000x better than dating Melissa. Wills an idiot.

LOL @ “Ah, there’s the meddlesome bitch we’ve been missing. Welcome back, Liz”

About time Steven is acting like a cool college kid, rather than a creepy college kid in need of hanging out with high school kids.

So true about Steven. He’s so much less creepy in this series.

• Ellie May 24, 2010 at 11:50 pm

What was the purpose of changing cover models this late in the game? Baffling. And horrible choices. This Melissa does not look like the ice princess we know and love.

Yeah, I don’t get it. They were bad enough to begin with, but now they’re even worse.

• Merrie May 25, 2010 at 2:03 pm

You are so brave to read Senior Year. Way to take one for the team!

Thanks, Merrie. It’s almost over!

• Sandy2 May 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Evan acted like such an entitled snot. I can’t believe he had the nerve to think that Tia was “handed the spot to Berkeley” and acted all surprised when other accepted students studied all night.

Oh, yeah! “I didn’t know I needed good grades to get into Berkeley. Shouldn’t my activist work be enough?”

• rachierach May 27, 2010 at 10:36 am

Shannon, I don’t know you personally, I don’t post as often as other readers, and you already know I’m a BIG fan of your blog…but I must confess I had to temporarily stop reading because these books are SOOOOOO AWFUL. I honestly didn’t think the ‘plots’ could get any worse than SVH…

I am SO buying you a celebratory cocktail (or beer) of your choice as a congratulations for getting through this series!!! You absolutely deserve it. Cheers!

Ooh, strawberry daiquiri, please!

Haha, I SO don’t blame you for taking a break. I’ve been dragging my feet so much to get through this damn series. At one point, I was at least ten books ahead of the posting schedule, but not anymore. I just now finished the post for tomorrow. Only three more to read!

• rachierach May 27, 2010 at 5:31 pm

You have the patience of a saint! we’ll ALL get you a daiquiri…or 5! Or 137! 🙂 (Get it?!)

Aw, you guys are all so awesome!

• Jenna June 2, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I agree with the posters above Shannon! If it wasn’t the anticipation for your snark, I would have quit reading anything related to this series. As bad as SVH was, at least it was entertaining! Reading these is like listening to 15 year old girls gossip, lol. I salute you!!

• j June 6, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I go to Berkeley and I don’t think this book portrays it very accurately.
    I don’t think there are quotas from high schools…which I also found annoying in the Gossip Girl episodes about the same thing.
    There totally are cheerleaders, and a certain contingent of students are totally “rah rah school spirit” especially if they can get smashed while being so.
    Academics…I don’t think the classes are significantly harder than AP’s, but unless you have a direction like grad school you don’t care as much and you procrastinate/are lazy.
    Most people here aren’t activists at all, and a lot of the ones who like to call themselves such have useless causes and seem like they just feel like they’re fighting the man despite being upper-middle-class privileged white people whose parents’ endeavors into Evil Capitalism allows said kids to keep their lifestyles. Anyway.

• Darren June 28, 2010 at 4:28 am

So in book 20 of Sweet Valley High…The Wakefield anniversary…wasn’t it like 20 years I believe it was? How come a year later it’s the 25th?

• margie April 20, 2011 at 12:54 am

Holy hell. I know I am reading this series way behind everyone else who has been reading this blog for ages, and I don’t mean to get all ‘Jezebel,’ but can I get all ‘Jezebel’ for a second and say this series is AWFUL. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL!

Okay, I just had to get that off my chest.

I’ve been re-reading these for the last few weeks and I just had to crack because this is the most ridiculous message to be sending to young adults ever. I can’t believe I read this crap!

That being said, I am off to read the next one. ARGH!

• Darren May 30, 2012 at 1:58 am

Hey Shannon, just read this chapter and it’s the 25th anniversary? That’s an error for in SVH #20, the Wakefield anniversary was the ’20th anniversary’ if the twins were 16 years old. IF this series says ’25th’, the twins would have to be in college! The ghost writer flubbed as the anniversary is the 22nd anniversary if the twins are nearly 18! I guess BIllie went to some one year abroad school if she and Steven were not together!

• Ladytuku December 14, 2013 at 10:07 am

i hate the character of Elisabeth she is a self-righteous bitch