Sweet Valley High Senior Year #39: Best of Enemies

The Moral of the Story: Any excuse for a dance, right?

The Big Deal: President’s Day dance

Melissa is a manipulative bitch: Melissa is totally pissed that Will kissed another girl, but she figures he can make it up to her and then things will be back to normal. So she goes to school all ready to listen to his groveling, and she’s thoroughly confused when Will never shows up at her locker. She finally sees him near the end of the day and he tells her he thinks they should break up. The cheerleaders have to organize a President’s Day dance (don’t ask), and Melissa is determined that she and Will are back together before the dance can happen, and that way she won’t have to go dateless and nobody will ever know about the breakup.

Melissa and Jessica are both assigned to work on music for the dance, and neither one of them is happy about it. Melissa is so depressed about Will that she just tells Jessica to do all the work herself. Jessica makes some crappy flyers to let everyone know she’s looking for a band (aw, I guess the Droids broke up or are no longer the go-to band for dances), and then gets pissed when Melissa says she sent a mass email to the students telling them when their bands could audition. Jessica thinks the best way to get back at Melissa (for what, actually helping?) is to overwhelm her with work. So she gets Jeremy to put up flyers at Big Mesa and Steven to put up flyers at the university.

Audition time rolls around and Jessica the genius has a headache from listening to so many terrible bands. She really didn’t think this one through. A couple of girls are gossiping outside the auditorium, and Jessica hears them say Will dumped Melissa after he made out with Erika Brooks. Melissa freaks out and leaves, and Jessica actually feels bad for her. Why? Some guy named Ronald comes up to Jessica and gives her a CD. Ronald and Jessica apparently shared a locker back in eighth grade and now he’s a DJ. He offers to work at the dance for a sweetly discounted price. Jessica hires him.

After a weird pep talk from her mother (“remind Will of what he’s missing”), Melissa decides to go snag a college boy toy. She puts on a black leather miniskirt, heads out to the SVU campus and crashes the first party she can find. She starts flirting with a good looking guy, but backs off when he introduces himself as Steve Wakefield. She finds what seems to be the most lecherous guy in the room, Kel, and makes vaguely sexy promises to show him a good time if he’ll go with her to the SVH dance. Kel, apparently willing to go to considerable lengths for jailbait, agrees.

Andy and Dave are gay: Dave’s father has been avoiding him since Dave announced he’s gay, but his mom is really cool. Dave tells her about Andy, and Ms. Niles insists on taking the two of them to dinner so she can meet him. Andy sweeps her off her feet and the three of them have a lovely time together, so Andy thinks everything is awesome now. He can’t believe it when Dave doesn’t want to go to the dance with him.

At the dance: Andy is overjoyed when Dave shows up after all. Alanna kind of freaks out a little when she realizes someone has spiked the punch, but she manages not to drink any. Melissa, on the other hand, gets totally sloshed and Will is sickened because she’s letting Kel put his hands all over her. Will is having a bad time anyway because Erika is pretty much ignoring him, and the night just gets worse when he and Melissa are voted as President and First Lady (because it’s a President’s Day dance, of course). Melissa gets angry about this for some reason and makes a huge scene. She tells Will that she and Kel are leaving to have some “real fun.”

After they leave, Ronald the DJ tells Jessica that Kel is a total perv whose dad has a lot of money so “charges against him tend to get dropped.” Kel apparently did something to one of Ronald’s friends, and he’s worried something bad is going to happen to Melissa. Jessica finds them in the parking lot. She can tell Melissa doesn’t really want to be anywhere near Kel, so she makes something up about Melissa needing to come back inside. Kel starts to get fresh, but Jeremy and Trent come out as backup. Kel leaves and Jeremy and Jessica take Melissa home. Jessica thinks Melissa is asleep in the backseat and she tells Jeremy she was really looking forward to the dance because it would have been their first dance together. Melissa hears this and leaves a CD in the car for Jessica and Jeremy to listen to. They pop it in and dance around in Melissa’s driveway. I think. I kind of stopped paying attention toward the end there.

Mrs. Fox: It’s very simple, Melissa. All you have to do is remind Will of what he’s missing.

Melissa: You think I should just prance around in some hot outfit and flirt with other guys until Will starts paying attention again?

Mrs. Fox: That is precisely what I think.

Well, at least we know Melissa comes by her crazy honestly. It clearly runs in the family.

The Cover: I think I’d look pretty bitchy too if I had a Wakefield giving me pitying looks all the time.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Sandy May 14, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Yes, Mrs. Fox, tell your daughter to be a hoe. Ugh.

But I did like the mini drama that went on at the end. Kel obviously gets charges dropped because he’s never gone against Mr. Wakefield.

And I miss Steve Wakefield for some reason. Glad he made a cameo.

Olivia Reply:

I know! I missed him too! SV isn’t the same without all the poorly disguised perverts.

• Ellie May 14, 2010 at 2:58 pm

SVU is like Narnia or the Lost island or something. One day it’s right there next to SVH in the “town of Sweet Valley.” The next it’s a 2-hour drive across “sprawling Sweet Valley County.” (I am awful for remembering an almost-direct quote from an SVU book.) Whichever is more convenient for the current plot!

• Sandy2 May 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Jessica became so likable in this series, how? lol she’s one of the best things about this crappy series 🙂

Thank you for posting! I was wondering, where did you manage to find all of these books? I can’t find them anywhere, aside from a couple old copies at my library.

I actually got most of this series from my mother-in-law. She found a whole bunch at a used bookstore and got them all for me last year, thinking they were the ones I was recapping then. I got everything else from eBay.

Sandy2 Reply:

Aw your mother-in-law is so great!

Ebay hm….are the prices really good on Ebay or do you have to buy multiple books at once?

I usually tend to buy the big lots because I really didn’t have anything to start out with. And it just depends. eBay is all just people selling their own stuff, so sometimes you get good prices and sometimes they’re ridiculous.

Darren Reply:

Check Amazon, they got a dosage of the SV series. I got mine from Amazon, but it’s only SVH and SV Twins.

• HelenB May 14, 2010 at 5:17 pm

That’s weird, I hadn’t really pictured Melissa as looking like Tricia Martin.

Darren Reply:

Melissa almost looks like the Sabrina character, Melissa Joan Hart, but minus the hair as it’s not blonde. About time somebody in the Wakefield family got a mention.

• Ash May 14, 2010 at 8:23 pm

OMG, was the punch spiked with magic vodka again?

• Lorelai May 14, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Melissa needs to eat something immediately. I feel like she’s only holding her arms out like that because she fears they’re about to snap off.

• lisa May 15, 2010 at 4:36 am

i liked this recap a bit. i wish you could have gone more with jeremy and jessica but it’s all good. it’s just me who has the jeremy and jessica bias. hahaha. if you actually read sweet valley junior high that’s where you see Ronald. it’s pretty weird how they come back for a small bit in Sweet Valley Senior Year. Ronald is a freakin geek then so it’s nice that time is good for a person. this reminds me when jessica saw her ex boyfriend, damon, in Close to you. He’s her steady boyfriend in Sweet Valley Junior High. I think the Jessica in Senior year and Junior High are more similar then the other Jessica in Sweet Valley High. anyway sorry for the long message. Glad your still recapping. Keep up the very good work!!!!

• Darren May 16, 2010 at 2:27 am

Are the Wakefields to my understanding still at the Fowler mansion while their house is being rebuilt from that Earthquake, or did they finally move back home? I don’t think Lila’s had much mention, neither has Amy, or it seems Pi Beta Alpha also broke up along with the Droids or something. It’s so weird to include you never heard of kids, put in some crazy stuff that doesn’t like the old Sweet valley, and you miss the other people like Aaron, Winston, Sandra, Jean, Tom McKay, Amy, Lila, Caroline Pearce even! I know the Earthquake changed a lot of things, but this series is like when Little House moved to Winoka when the depression hit Walnut Grove and dried up the jobs for a time and was hurting the region. Now we got kids from El Charo in the Sweet Valley area. Having Liz with this other boy, not the same without old Todd around, or Jeffrey.

Olivia Reply:

Actually in this book Liz is with Jeffery.

• megan s. May 16, 2010 at 4:02 pm

what school has a presidents day dance?

• Jessica Squits the Quad May 17, 2010 at 3:13 am

I loved this book! I liked that Melissa isn’t really as evil as she seems. And Jess is so cool. I’m surprised Steven didn’t totally go for Melissa-what I get from her description is that she looks just like Lila, and since Steven has a penchant for going out with girls who look like his old girlfriends….

• sour_hill September 23, 2011 at 1:21 am

Good gravy, it looks like Melissa is cropdusting Jess on the cover.