Sweet Valley High Senior Year #20: Nothing is Forever

The Moral of the Story: If you want to be the starring quarterback, just make a wish that the current quarterback gets hurt. Sweet Valley is magic like that.

The Big Deal: Football game

Evan calls Liz and tells her about Conner falling and then passing out the night before. He’s okay. Evan thinks he just passed out from being drunk and he wants Liz to talk to Conner about his problem. He tells her now isn’t the best time because Conner probably has a massive hangover, but Liz goes to his house anyway. When she gets there, Conner just yells at her and tells her to leave. She does, and then Andy comes over. He has no idea what’s going on, and he’s really hurt when he tells Conner he’s gay and Conner just laughs and kind of says, “Of course you are.” Poor Andy, he just wants someone to talk to. Once Andy is gone, Conner digs out his Jack Daniels bottle from under the bed and starts drinking again. You know, just to calm his nerves.

Will and his family are having brunch with the Michigan scout to seal the deal, and Ken sees them go into the restaurant. He’s really bummed because his father is being a jackass, and during an argument he basically told Ken he’s ashamed of him for not being a star football player anymore. Ken starts to feel like he really misses being a starting quarterback and he wishes he was more than just a benchwarmer. There really isn’t anything more to Ken than football, is there?

Jeremy goes to House of Java and apologizes to Jessica for yelling at her the night before. Jessica is relieved, but then Jeremy says he’s going to look for another job. She tries to talk him out of it, but he thinks it’s the best thing to do because he can’t work with Jade anymore. Jessica goes to her boss and tells her about the night Jade called in sick and then showed up with her date. The boss says Jessica has to fire her.

Liz leaves a message for Conner asking him to come to the big football game and talk to her there. Jessica calls Jeremy and asks him to meet her at the game, too. I don’t know why she couldn’t just tell him about firing Jade over the phone, but whatever. Conner shows up drunk. Evan sees him in the parking lot and tries to talk to him, but of course Conner just wants to act like a douchebag. After a cop comes up and says hello to them, Conner realizes he doesn’t want to talk to Liz or anyone else, so he goes home.

Will gets tackled during the game and breaks his leg. He gets rushed to the hospital, and the coach puts Ken in. He throws the ball in a super awesome way or something (I have never even watched a football game, so forgive my lack of knowledge), and the crowd goes wild. Sweet Valley wins, and Ken’s dad – there to cover the game for the paper – comes up to Ken with a big smile on his face. Ken is pissed because he feels like he shouldn’t have to play football for his dad to like him, and he turns his back on him. Maria says something to Mr. Matthews about the fact that he gave up on Ken, and he snaps at her, implying that she won’t like Ken anymore now that he’s going to be playing regularly. That’s a sharp blow, because Maria was just worrying about that herself.

Liz is upset that Conner never showed at the game and Jessica is upset that Jeremy didn’t show, either. Will wakes up in the hospital the next morning and Melissa tells him the doctor doesn’t think he’ll ever play football again.

The Cover: I thought for sure this book was going to be about Melissa and Will breaking up, but I guess it’s really about football. Whatever.

Tags: , , ,

Comments
  • Sandy March 31, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I kind of interested in what’s going to happen between Maria and Ken. I’m really hoping for a normal relationship from them. I know it’s stupid, but let me dream.

Oh, Sandy, you know better than that!

• Jane March 31, 2010 at 1:25 pm

So outside of the twins, the only people from the original series we have left are Ken and Maria, and the occasional Lila? I never thought I would miss Bruce so much.

Yeah, pretty much. And Jade, I guess, but she doesn’t count since she was hardly even in the original series. I miss Bruce and his shenanigans too. This shit is boring.

Jane Reply:

For real. These people are so boring I can’t keep them straight. I keep confusing Connor with Will and Andy with Angel. And I think there is a Jeremy and a Josh, maybe? Tia or Maria? I don’t know.

• The One With... March 31, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Surprisingly, I feel pretty bad for Will. That’s a tough break (I couldn’t help myself). I guess I’m taking Will’s injury a little too seriously, though. In a few books from now it’ll probably be like it never happened.

Ha! Tough break. *snicker*

• Dee March 31, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I hate the Connor drinking storyline. I feel like he became an alcoholic in an hour and it just read as completely unrealistic.

Ken and Maria bore me, even though I think Ken is a pretty decent character with his family problems.

I’m so over Will and Melissa. Break up! There are days I’m convinced Will is the idiotic way he is because Melissa is just an evil leech.

re: Conner and his drinking – Seriously! One day he’s fine and the next day he’s a womanizing alcoholic. I’m not buying it.

Ken and Maria are totally boring. I find them both boring on their own, so when they get together it’s just a big ol’ snooze fest.

Will and Melissa need to just go away.

• Jessica Squits the Quad March 31, 2010 at 7:49 pm

“Liz leaves a message for Conner asking him to come to the big football game and talk to her there. ” –Right, because high school football games are really the place for talking things through with your alcoholic boyfriend.

And seriously – they bring back JADE WU of all people (did the SVHSY writers only read like the two SVH books she was in or something?) and get rid of white Maria, Winston, Bruce (ok, I know he graduated but still), Lila (pretty much), all the good ones… I want to meet whoever was in charge of picking which characters stayed and punch them for choosing black Maria and *shudder* Elizabeth. And what happened to you Ken? You used to be cool.

I agree with everything you just said. This series is so crappy.

Darren Reply:

That’s why the entire Senior series looks very confusing and complexed that you have the kids from the ‘El Charo’ region intereacting with Sweet Valley due to some Los Angeles Earthquake. I don’t understand that they bring back Maria the black girl, not that it’s a bad thing, but what about Mandy Miller, Melissa McCormick, Kimberly Haver, Mary Wallace, Sophia Rizzo, and Sarah Thomas? Come on, they should’ve had other girls in the story! It’s hard to believe Ken acted like a jerk, but I think it started when Jessica was fooling around with that Palisades guy, Chris I believe it is? I’d just blame Jessica for Ken’s change in attitude.

Was Steven ever mentioned or came to visit? Was Mr. and Mrs. Wakefield mentioned? Was their house ever rebuilt (which I assume it was for SVU had the twins/STeven home for Christmas.)

I also miss Caroline Pearce. I swear, you look at her, she’s a version of Cassandra Peterson, the Elvira character.

• megan s. April 1, 2010 at 1:29 am

Are you going to do SVU after SY?

I need some Bruce and Lila!

I’m going to let you guys decide. I just added a poll to the sidebar.

Elizabeth Reply:

YES YES YES!! Please do it!!!

I’ll leave the poll up at least until Senior Year is over, but I’m thinking SVU is going to win, ha.

• Sandy April 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Awww, Elizabeths series has zero votes.
    LOL.
    We wouldn’t do that to you Shannon!

Ha! You’re good people.

• Jessica Squits the Quad April 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Please, please, please do SVU!! I can’t wait for Elizabeth to get fat and dumped by Todd, Jess AND Enid! And then nearly murdered by Celine and her crazy friend William White.

I voted for it.

Well, judging by the poll, it looks like you’ll get your wish! I’m kind of surprised so many people voted for University. I was thinking SVT would win.

It should be exciting. I’ve only ever read one SVU book, so it’s all going to be new to me. Liz gets fat? Can’t wait!

Jessica Squits the Quad Reply:

Liz gets totally fat. She puts on the Freshman five hundred (and thirty seven)!! She goes to a costume party and the only thing that will fit her is a bed sheet as a toga. It’s the best!

• j April 7, 2010 at 12:22 am

Well SVT is almost completely done by 1bruce1, while SVU has a bunch of holes, and given that the series is comprised primarily of trilogies, I only read the recaps for it whenever a full trilogy is finished. That’s why I’d like SVU at least.

• Darren April 24, 2010 at 4:21 am

Wait a minute…I thought Claire Middleton was the QB, and then there was Scot Trost…what’s this Will person starting and Ken backing up? I thought by SV 114, Ken was the QB again. These ghost writers forget their own characters!

You should do SV Twins, that was a great series My favorite is when they get 3 way calling (Wakefields, then Mandy I believe, Lila, Ellen, and Olivia Davidson), it turns into something from Green Acres when Mandy didn’t like Mr. Riteman’s overcooked hot dog, Lila thought Mr. RIteman poisoned Mandy, then Mr. Riteman was some kind of teacher serial killer, and poor Mandy got the blame for the misunderstanding! That was such a good laugh.

• Darren April 24, 2010 at 4:27 am

I thought University was not written that well. My version had all the characters moving to Japan and interacting with the superheroes. I mean with Calif’s economy in the tank, why not move?

My peeves: Jessica and Mike McAllery (if that’s right) should’ve got back together. Ned Wakefield reacted like a typical Archie Bunker when he found out all the chaos his girls went through and Alice Wakefield was an overemotional blubbering mother! There wasn’t enough about Steven, and they still could’ve had Cara Walker apply as the roommate, duh! I wasn’t too fond of Billie Wrinkler, but Tara Belle of Beverly Hills Teens would’ve been a better person! I never liked Elizabeth going from Todd to Tom. Then Todd was a huge jerk that got into fights! Enid changed her name and had a fling with Todd. Then for some odd bizarre reason, Olivia Davidson was alive, like somebody did Dallas’ Pam seeing Bobby in the shower! Then if you were only in college for a year, how can you have a high school reunion get together? I wasn’t fond of either William or Celine, boring dull characters. But I did however find Lila/Bruce interesting and unique. I married them in my version and have a little girl in Ellie Fowler.

I can’t believe somebody would write Elizabeth and have her in London. That just never seemed right. Sisters are together forever.

• Afrancis July 19, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Why are there 12 year old kids on this cover?!