Sweet Valley High Senior Year #7: Boy Meets Girl

Jeremy wants to take Jessica out and do something special, but he’s too poor to do anything really awesome. He calls a friend and manages to score free tickets to see Romeo and Juliet at some theater, but Jessica’s useless mother writes down the address wrong when Jeremy calls so Jessica goes to the wrong place and can’t figure out why Jeremy isn’t showing up. They both call Alice and finally meet up at a video arcade. Jessica seems to have fun playing video games and just hanging out, but Jeremy is disappointed that his magical date didn’t turn out the way he wanted. Dude, you’re with a chick who doesn’t mind playing video games all night. Just go with it.

Conner tells Liz he thinks they should cool things off while she deals with Maria. Liz doesn’t like the idea, but is too much of a doormat to disagree with the mighty Conner and his iron will. She calls Maria and leaves a teary message about how sorry she is. Maria doesn’t pick up because she doesn’t want to talk to Liz at all. On Monday morning, Liz sees Maria in the hallway and apologizes again. Maria hardly looks at her when she says whatever, she’s over it. Liz tries to talk to her again the next day, and Maria flat out says she doesn’t want to be friends anymore. Way to go, Maria. FINALLY someone doesn’t want to be friends with Liz just because she’s Liz.

Everyone has heard about Melissa’s suicide attempt and they’re all giving Will their condolences. He’s really annoyed. He goes to the hospital to see Melissa and he gets really pissed when she refers to him as her boyfriend, as though things are just going to go back to normal now. He starts to set her straight, but then a nurse comes in and starts yapping about how having such a devoted boyfriend is really going to help Melissa get back on her feet more quickly. Meanwhile, Cherie and Gina start going off on Jessica at cheerleading practice, telling her it’s all because of her that Melissa tried to kill herself. Jessica has had enough and she totally wails on them. She says she never did anything wrong and she’s sick of their crap. She also says that if they were such great friends of Melissa’s, they would be worrying about their friend right now instead of harassing Jessica. Melissa’s minions seem suitably sheepish.

Jessica and Jeremy go out Tuesday night, but the date is another disaster. The freeway is jammed and the comedy club they try to go to is twenty-one and up, and yes, this is apparently enough to ruin a date. They go for ice cream, and Will is in line in front of them. Things are awkward and tense, and Jeremy can tell there’s something weird between Will and Jessica. Jessica calls Jeremy the next day and invites him to have dinner with her family. Jeremy gets all excited about it, but then his mother says he has to stay home and watch his sisters because she’s been called in to work. When he calls Jessica to tell her, she says maybe their relationship just isn’t meant to be since all their dates keep getting screwed up. What a quitter. Jeremy asks her to give him one more chance and let him take her out Friday night.

When Liz gets home after dinner at Fowler Crest, she runs into Conner in the hallway. He’s pretty much gone back to acting like he doesn’t like her. Liz tells him Maria is still really upset, and Conner says she just needs more time and he and Liz will pick things up again soon. In reality, he’s hoping this reprieve will last a while because, I don’t know, he’s weird about girls. He’s sure things with Liz will just get bad as soon as they start making out on a regular basis again.

Megan (in case you can’t remember because she’s hardly ever mentioned, Megan is Conner’s sister and the reason Liz lives at Conner’s house) has her first article published in the Oracle and she asks Liz to take her to the country club so she can show her mother. When they get there, it’s obvious that Mrs. Sandborn is completely trashed. On their way out the door, someone tells Megan that her mother is no longer welcome at the club, as she’s been warned about her behavior many times. Liz and Megan get her to the car and drive her home. Along the way, Liz remembers all the times Conner went to go pick up his mom in the middle of the night and the excuses he’s made for her. Instead of feeling bad about him having to deal with all that, she’s hurt that he hasn’t trusted her enough to “let her in.” Because it’s all about Liz. When they get home, Conner comes running out of the house all in a tizzy. He yells at Megan for “surprising Mom” and then at Liz for interfering. Then he carries his mother inside. Later, after holding his mom’s hair while she throws up for a while, he tells Liz he doesn’t want her to live there anymore. Liz throws some clothes in a backpack and hits the mean streets of El Carro, but she really doesn’t have anywhere to go. Luckily, Jessica is driving around the neighborhood because Megan called her. She takes Liz back to Fowler Crest.

Will goes over to Melissa’s house when she gets out of the hospital on Friday. He tells her he meant it when he said he didn’t want to be with her anymore and she’s just going to have to accept it. She goes nuts. She punches him in the face and starts throwing things at him. He manages to get out the door just as Melissa tries to break a mirror with his face. It’s not the best breakup, but Will feels pretty good now that it’s over and done with. Uh, yeah. I’d be afraid of her breaking into my house and stabbing me in my sleep.

Will decides he needs to makes things right with Jessica now. When he gets to Fowler Crest, he sees Jeremy driving off and Jessica waving goodbye to him with a dreamy expression on her face. Will is dismayed when he realizes she’s just been on a fabulous date. He runs up to her and apologizes for everything. I guess Jessica is still feeling good from her date because she accepts his apology.

Somewhere along the way, Jessica and Tia try out for a school play.

Tags:

Comments
  • Janelle March 1, 2010 at 2:05 pm

My favorite part of the scene where Jessica finally yells at Melissa’s friends is how, after she’s done, she sees Lila smile. Maybe it’s just because there’s so little Lila that any mention is exciting, but I like to think she’s proud of Jess, despite having been a total bitch to her for the past month.

And now I really want some ice cream…

I like that, too. I hate that Lila is so scarce in this series.

• Merrie March 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm

This series is so horrible. It is — dare I say — even worse than the “Elizabeth” spinoff. I can’t bring myself to care about any of these people.

I’ve not yet had the pleasure of reading the Elizabeth series. It’s got to be better than this.

I really didn’t mind this series at first, but it’s so damned repetitive! I’m about halfway through now and it’s just the same freaking love triangles over and over. Ugh.

• Svugirl March 1, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Ok question. Are these ones fun to read because of how crazy they are or just painful?

Honestly, they’re just painful. Where the original series was totally campy and insane, these books take themselves very seriously and really aren’t much fun.

• Angelica March 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I’ve only read Book One of the Elizabeth series and a few of the Senior Years, but no, trust me. Elizabeth is NOT better than Senior Year. Think of it – a whole series devoted to Elizabeth with NO other characters we know. Eugh!

Good point. Thank goodness there are only six books in that series.

• Lorelai March 1, 2010 at 9:00 pm

This was my absolute favourite book in the series. I remember going to a huge booksale with my brother, and making him rummage through piles of books in the hopes of finding it. (He did, and he also found my favourite SVU, so for that I’m always grateful.)

Aw, what a good brother!

• Fear Street March 2, 2010 at 12:39 am

Liz is vomitous (any excuse to use that word).

That is a great word! And completely appropriate to describe Liz.

• lisa March 2, 2010 at 3:01 am

I guess I’m one of the few that actually liked this series. I thought it was interesting to read. I really do like Jessica and Jeremy here. She’s better in this series in my opinion. I miss reading about them. Liz I tend to ignore this series. I do hope you continue on with the recaps of each book. Thank you!

I will definitely continue!

Here’s how I feel about this series: The characters and plots are more believable than the original series. Unfortunately, this has made them boring. It’s just book after book of so-and-so being heartbroken over so-and-so, and another so-and-so wishing some other so-and-so would love them. There are other situations thrown in there, but it all seems to be set dressing for the various teenage romances going on. Mrs. Sandborn’s alcoholism, for example. It’s a serious issue, but its main purpose in the series is to make Conner angry at Liz and progress their story arc.

I imagine I would have been into these books when I was younger, but as an adult I much prefer the original series because it’s easier to make fun of.

• Christine March 2, 2010 at 4:38 am

Yay for Jessica standing up to Melissa’s Minions (good one, Shannon :)) and for not expecting her date to take her somewhere fancy/expensive. Maybe Lila’s absence these days is actually a positive influence on Jess. Hear me out. It’s all part of Lila’s plan! She’s trying to make her best friend grow as a person… leaving her alone to toughen her up! Yeah, that’s it. And that’s why Lila smiled. 😉

Conner threw Liz out without letting her find a new place to stay first? (Or is she just dumb and didn’t think to call anyone?) ‘Cause he’s embarrassed she knows about his mom? I’m sure he could’ve found a better reason to throw her out. 😛 And what a CrybabyConner.

So…why is Will “dismayed” over Jessica’s date with Jeremy? Don’t tell me he expected her to jump at the chance to date *him* now that he’s “free” of ManipulativeMelissa. After everything she (Jess) went through ’cause of him?! And how thoughtful (if he pursues her) to make Jessica even more a target of ManiacMelissa’s wrath. I don’t want a love triangle…or quadrangle! After I praised the ghostwriters and everything, for seemingly dropping the idea of a Jess/Will pairing. I’m ashamed I gave them any credit. Ok, don’t panic…accepting his apology is a bad sign, but this is cool alternate universe Jess, just being mature and forgiving, and maybe it won’t lead to any icky romantic feelings. If he doesn’t interfere with Jessica/Jeremy, I’ll promise to start liking Will a bit, for being totally unphased by Melissa’s suicide attempt/mirror-madness.

I can get behind that Lila theory. Now that you mention it, I’m certain that’s just what she’s doing.

Conner told her to leave and she immediately left with her little backpack of clothes. I hate them both.

I do like that Will didn’t respond to the ManiacMelissaMeltdown. I still hate him though. And her.

• Lindsay March 2, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I hate Elizabeth. Why is she so dramatic? All the time with the theatrics.

Seriously. I don’t think she ever quits with the dramatics in this whole series.

• Janelle March 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Lisa, I must admit that I like this series, too. I think I’m just a Sweet Valley junkie… oh my god, I just realized that I’m just like all the pathetic people in Sweet Valley- obsessively following the lives of the Wakefield twins… oh well, I’m over it!

I agree with everyone about Jess and Jeremy being great together!

• Jessica Squits the Quad March 2, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I loved it when Jess went off at Gina and Cherie, and Lila was so cool:)

I really like the cover except for the fact that it looks like Jeremy and Jess share an eyebrow. Seriously!! Look closely!!

I was friends with a girl just like Liz. Coincidentally, her name is also Liz. She only cares about herself and every situation anyone ever finds themself in, is important only in how it has to do with her. I cannot even imagine reading an entire series just based on Elizabeth!! Even if it is only six books. (I only ever found the first of those books, for some reason.) Hopefully she’s a total deadbeat in SV Confidential. Like 5 kids out of wedlock with Kirk the jerk, thrown out on her ass, jobless, imperfect size 16, AA meetings…

Ha, they totally do look like they’re sharing an eyebrow!

I would love it if that’s how Liz turns out in Sweet Valley Confidential.

Ms. K Reply:

Ms. K Reply:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed the shared brow… How gross! I can’t ever look at this cover without seeing it… I can’t unsee it!!

How gross!

Oh, and for JessQuitsTheSquad, have you ever watched Gilmore Girls? Your comment about Liz marrying Kirk (the Jerk) made me laugh… Liz and Kirk in Stars Hollow? I’d watch that!

• Anonymous March 2, 2010 at 11:23 pm

You’re spot on with the Melissa/Will showdown. I remember thinking how overly optimistic Will was about finally being free. Dude, have you met Melissa? Go to the police station and file a restraining order asap!

And Jessica vs. GinaCherie was great. Jessica is quite likeable in this series. Sadly, it doesn’t make it as fun lol

Dee Reply:

Oops that was me above. Forgot to put my name down.

It was quite satisfying also that Maria was so angry with Liz. However, I would have liked it more if Maria was a character I actually liked. And Liz is so overdramatic…you get thrown out, call your sister! Or the other million friends that you’re supposed to have. For someone so incredibly loved and popular, she really had no one to call? Annoying. And to think I loved her when I was still a tween/teen

• Shannon March 3, 2010 at 11:06 am

I know! Melissa is a total psycho.

Oh, I’m sure Liz could have called anyone she felt like, she was just too damned depressed to think about it. I hate her.

• Elizabeth March 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm

“The Cover: I don’t feel comfortable looking at teenagers kissing at this zoom level.”

And yet, you made it your top banner. This makes it extremely awkward for me to read your blog in class with people sitting behind me. And yet, I do it anyway. Love it!

Ha, sorry about that! However bad the picture is, it still pretty much sums up this entire series; teenagers kissing seems to be pretty much what it’s all about.

• Kristine March 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm

LOL! Jeremy and Jessica really looked like they were sharing an eyebrow.

I also like Jessica in the series. And how, for a change she became the victim of the mean girls. I miss Lila’s presence in the novels. They made her look like a spineless girl who goes over the popular side just to remain popular.

I agree, Lila is a huge disappointment in this series.

• thea March 20, 2010 at 12:27 am

i loved jess in this book. and i was rooting hard for jeremy. he had it hard. u neglected to say how responsible he was. he was supporting his family on his small salary from his after school job, he played football and had morning and afternoon practice and still kept his grades up. on top of all that pressure his dead beat dad got a heart attack as a result of his laziness and jeremy blamed himself for pressuring him to try to get a job. all the kid wanted to have a carefree teen life and a pretty gf.

i hate will and even tho melissa is a bitch he did cheat on her. i wish he found her standing over his bed in the middle of the night with a knife in her hand. staring at him and crying. how is that for a crazy freak out moment?