Sweet Valley High Senior Year #5: If You Only Knew

The Big Deal: Big Mesa party

To sum up the last book: Melissa is furious because she assumes Tia and Jessica tattled on her to Coach Laufeld and that’s why Tia was named captain. Jessica is heartbroken because she assumes the other cheerleaders told Jeremy about her reputation and now he’ll never want to talk to her again.

Tia and the gang go to a movie on Saturday night and Maria invites herself along in the hopes that Conner will join them. Sadly for her, Conner decides to stay home and have pizza and play Monopoly with Liz and Megan. Maria talks about Conner all night and Tia and Andy finally tell her they know she’s not over him and the chances of her getting him back are slim. Meanwhile, Liz and Conner almost share a moment, but Liz gets nervous and makes things awkward.

Jeremy gets home Saturday night and finds a For Sale sign in front of the house. He’s pissed at his father for failing to get a job and at his mother for putting the house up for sale. Everything sucks until he goes to work the next morning and finds Jessica there. Liz felt bad about getting her fired from Healthy, so she talked to the manager of House of Java and got them to let Jessica work there in her place from now on. Jeremy and Jessica flirt for a while and she realizes the other cheerleaders must not have said anything to him. Jeremy asks Jessica to go to a party with him on Friday, but Jessica gets shy and says she can’t.

Maria is paired up with Ken Matthews on a history project, which kind of sucks for her because Ken has been a zombie since Olivia died. He’s quit the football team and stopped hanging out with people. He doesn’t show up for their study date in the library on Monday afternoon, and Maria finally decides to bail and head over to Andy’s house. He’s having people over and Maria wants to see Conner. When she gets to the school parking lot, she finds one of her tires flat. Conner comes out of nowhere and gives her a ride to Andy’s, but then he just drops her off and goes home. The next morning, Ken tells her to do whatever she wants on the project, but he won’t be helping.

Jeremy asks Jessica again if she wants to go to the party with him, and she says she can’t because she has to finish a project for her drama class. She’s supposed to cut out pictures from magazines and make a collage that shows who she really is. She tells Jeremy she’s having a lot of trouble with it. Later that night, Jeremy sees a bunch of his mom’s magazines and gets inspired. He makes a collage for Jessica and when he gives it to her, she starts crying and asks if he really sees her as beautiful, delicate, perfect and whatever else the collage says. He says he does and she says she’ll go to the party with him.

Jessica goes to the Sandborns’ house Thursday morning and has breakfast with Liz. They get to talking about Conner and Jessica realizes Liz likes him. That day at lunch, Maria opens Liz’s notebook to find that day’s English assignment. She sees Conner’s name written all over the place, right alongside some horrible love poetry. She doesn’t say anything, but seethes about it all afternoon. By the time she gets to the library to meet Ken, she’s livid. Ken asks her what her problem is, and she goes off on him, screeching about Elizabeth and what a bad friend she is. Ken, grateful that someone else is having a problem and not trying to get him to snap out of his misery, takes an interest and tells Maria to just talk to Liz.

Liz has to read her crappy love poem out loud in creative writing class. It’s obviously about Conner, and he stops her after class so they can talk about it. They end up kissing. Maria has chosen this moment to confront Liz. She and Ken come upon them right after the kiss, while they’re standing really close together. Maria can tell there’s something going on between them, but Ken says he doesn’t see anything.

Jessica is having a great time at the party Friday night, but then, of course, Will and Melissa show up with Melissa’s bitchy friends. Cherie calls Jessica a slut and starts to make a scene. Will tells Melissa to make them stop or he’s leaving. Melissa doesn’t do anything, so Will takes off. Jessica has been a big hit all night with the Big Mesa kids, and they surround Melissa, Cherie and Gina and tell them to get lost. When Jeremy turns around, Jessica is gone. He searches the whole house but can’t find her. He goes outside and thinks he sees her, but just then his mother comes driving up. She says Jeremy’s father has had a heart attack.

The Cover: So this is Jeremy. He’s much cuter than either Conner or Will.

Tags: , ,

Comments
  • Sandy February 24, 2010 at 1:37 pm

About the cover, yes cute, but I see signs of a future receding hairline. Let’s hope he has an awesome personality or he won’t get far modeling.

Maria sucks. Ken blows. And yet I keep finding myself reading every recap like a cocaine addiction.

It’s like an episode of American Idol; you know it’s going to suck and piss you off but you just can’t look away.

• Janelle February 24, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I like that the title of this one actually makes sense- with Jessica and Jeremey both keeping secrets from each other and all that.

I agree. Most of these titles make absolutely no sense, they’re just a bunch of “edgy” sounding phrases.

• Dee February 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm

The cover model for Jeremy is cute, and more on the lines of how I pictured his character too. I also really liked him and Jessica as a couple.

This is the book where I started feeling sorry for Jessica. I mean I did before a little, but I just thought the scene at the party was just so unecessary. But Will leaving Melissa there? Hee!

And as sweet as the collage was that Jeremy made, I still found it annoying. I’m sorry, but everyone falling in love and doing these overly romantic things for the Wakefield twins just gets so old after awhile!! But then, it wouldn’t be the world of Sweet Valley would it?

It absolutely would not be Sweet Valley if boys weren’t doing cheesy romantic things for the Wakefields.

I really like Jeremy and Jessica together, too. And Will leaving Melissa at the party was awesome. I still hate him though.

• HelenB February 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Jeremy is really sweet. How long until he dies?

…isn’t that the sort of ‘homework’ that ten-year-olds do?

Lindsay Reply:

…isn’t that the sort of ‘homework’ that ten-year-olds do?

Thank you!

Christine Reply:

Hehe…Jessica always seems to get little-kid assignments … Remember that high school science fair volcano? 🙂 She found the magazine collage…difficult. Okay. I know we’re supposed to believe she’s really low-self-esteem-y right now, but I just can’t picture Jessica having trouble choosing mag photos that represent her… except maybe thinking that none of the models are beautiful enough to capture her perfect purple essence.

Clearly I’m gonna have to come to terms with all these sudden changes in the characters. I can’t keep expressing shock over things like… one of Elizabeth’s friends ACTUALLY CALLED HER ON BEING A BAD FRIEND?! Well, not to her face (yet?), but still. I’m amazed that anyone Liz has condescended to shoulder-pat, is allowed to criticize her at all. Too bad it’s over a stupid boy who’s not worth fighting over.

I’m actually impressed with the ghostwriters (!) for not putting Jessica and Will together. And creating a more likeable love interest for Jess. If Jeremy *doesn’t* die on her like the others, that’s a Senior Year change I can get behind! Woo!

Btw, nice that Liz and Jess finally had a scene together and got caught up on eachother’s lives/love interests (same thing, I know). More important to split them up and make them interact with the new characters, I guess. But the sisterly bond! It survived drink-spiking-car-crash-murder-trials, and Jessica borrowing Elizabeth’s clothes without asking, and everything! Seems strange that they’re so distant now…for no real reason.

Lindsay Reply:

Ha, I forgot all about that volcano!

And everything you’ve said is spot on.

I’m really kind of bothered by how little time the twins spend together. I mean, it seems like the whole point of the original series was that they were twins and best friends and blah blah blah. And here they barely have any scenes together. It’s weird.

Ha ha, if Jessica really loves him, I’m guessing he’ll die by the end of the series. And yeah, I actually did do a collage like that in second grade I believe.

• Lorelai February 24, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Dude on the cover looks like he would’ve been a great Jeremy, twenty years ago, when he could still pass for a high-school student. Oh, and is he wearing black eyeliner? Because that’s very Dana Larson of him.

Ha ha, aw, I think he’s cute!

• Jane February 24, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I hate Maria.

ME TOO!

• Lindsay February 24, 2010 at 11:57 pm

These kids are lame.

Is it wrong I giggle a little every time someone calls Jessica a slut?

Absolutely not. She totally is.

• Lady Fabulous February 25, 2010 at 2:31 am

I just spent the last few days ignoring life and reading your blog from the beginning.
    I feel like I’ve gone through an emotional spin cycle. I had no idea I could hate Elizabeth so much. Although the Todd hate came as no surprise. I always figured Todd resembled Ken (as in and Barbie) in more ways than one *cough* no balls *cough*
    The SY covers are horrible. Late 90’s horrible. And that’s saying something, considering the SVH covers.

I know! When I first started this project I didn’t know how horrible Liz was either.

Todd really is just a basketball playing Ken doll.

• megan s. February 25, 2010 at 5:42 am

wait…why are will and melissa at a big mesa party? isn’t that violating like, a rule somewhere??

• svugirl February 26, 2010 at 2:33 am

That really confused me too. It’s like an unspoken rule of teenage-dom.

Don’t forget, half the El Carro kids had to switch to Sweet Valley, but the other half went to Big Mesa. I think one of their old El Carro friends who now goes to Big Mesa invited them to the party.

• lisa February 26, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I thought it was sweet how Jeremy did all he could to be with Jessica for one night. I might be the only one but since I’ve read all the books in the Senior Year series I hope they end up together later on if the other series get made.

• Svugirl February 26, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Oh yeah:) ok never mind, it makes since now.

• thea March 19, 2010 at 9:40 pm

no way. conner is hotter. lol.