Sweet Valley High Senior Year #2: Say it to My Face

The rumors Will and Melissa have been spreading about Jessica are getting out of hand. Half the school is laughing at her behind her back, and “Jessica is a slut” is written across blackboards throughout the school. Lila’s playing both sides. She knows the El Carro kids are going to end up being important so she wants to get on their good side to remain popular, but she does feel kind of bad about hanging out with the girl who’s making Jessica’s life miserable.

Liz and Conner still have big crushes on each other, but for some reason they both feel like they need to keep pretending they hate each other. It’s annoying. Liz starts getting cozy with Conner’s friends and she hangs out with them one night while Conner picks up his alcoholic mother from the country club where she’s making a scene.  Liz has been neglecting Maria and Enid while she hangs out with Andy, Tia and Tia’s boyfriend, Angel, and Maria is getting sick of it. Liz finally invites her to join them at Riot, some crappy club the El Carro kids go to, and Maria gets all emo when Liz doesn’t devote her undivided attention to her. Maria goes to the second floor to get something to drink, and she runs into Conner. They start talking and hit it off. When Maria meets Liz outside the club later, she’s all starry eyed over Conner. When she says she and Conner kissed, Liz feels like throwing up.

Liz tells Tia about Maria and Conner, and Tia says Conner kind of sucks at relationships. Instead of wiping her brow because she dodged a bullet or feeling bad for her friend, Liz hopes this means Conner and Maria will break up soon. The next day at school, Liz tells Maria what Tia said and tells her Conner doesn’t really care about her. Maria thinks Liz is being a bitch because she doesn’t like Conner.

Cheerleading tryouts are coming up and Melissa Fox wants to be captain of the squad. The day of the tryouts, all the hopefuls practice their moves in the courtyard at lunch. This is apparently some kind of tradition. Melissa and her friends make sure to practice near Jessica and try to intimidate her. During tryouts, Jessica does great on the cheering part, but when she starts to do the dance sequence, she finds Melissa has switched her tape with another, and she has to try to do the routine to some unfamiliar song she hasn’t practiced with. She does a horrible job, but the coach takes pity on her and lets her on the squad.

The new cheerleaders go to the Riot to celebrate. Jessica decides she should just go and apologize to Melissa, explain she didn’t know Will had a girlfriend. But when she gets there, Melissa just glares at her, and her friend, Cherie, calls Jessica a slut. Jessica says she’s leaving and asks Lila, Amy and Annie to come with her, but they just look down at the table. Jessica leaves by herself and runs into Todd in the parking lot. Happy to see a familiar face, Jessica asks Todd why everyone is being so mean to her. He asks her what she expected would happen when she slept with another girl’s boyfriend.

Liz gets home from her job at the coffeehouse one day and sees Conner and Maria making out on the couch. She calls Enid and asks if she can move in with her. Enid’s wearing camouflage shirts with peasant skirts these days and hanging out with some pale girl who carries a lunchbox, and she doesn’t sound all that jazzed about the idea of Liz staying with her. She says she’ll ask her mom, though. That night, Liz wakes up when Conner comes into her bedroom. He’s about to kiss her, but Liz realizes he’s drunk and snaps him out of it.  He goes back to his room, and the next day Liz tells Enid not to worry about it, she’ll just stay at the Sandborns’ house. Enid looks relieved.

There’s some stuff I don’t care about going on with Tia and her boyfriend, Angel. He’s leaving for Stanford in January, so Tia’s feeling sad. She decides to break up with him because she just won’t be able to handle the heartache of seeing him leave. But then she makes the cheerleading squad and Angel comes over to take her out to celebrate and Tia realizes she can’t just dump him because he’s the sweetest guy ever.

Mr. Collins is the Oracle’s adviser again. I guess he just missed the first day of school or something.

“I had the best night. Ileana and I went over to Judith’s house and had a Xena marathon. Judith has, like, every episode on tape. Then we went on-line and hung out in this chat room with these really cute guys. I mean, they sounded like really cute guys.” Enid giggled.

It seems the ghostwriters have given up and are just going to let Enid embrace her inner nerd.

The Cover: I’m guessing crooked-head-girl must be Melissa. She just looks like a bitch. And if that’s Will back there, I’m totally not getting the appeal. These covers suck.

Tags: ,

Comments
  • Jane February 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Man, I haven’t read Senior Year, but it sounds pretty lame. Which is saying a lot for this series.

• Sandy February 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Hmmmm, do you know if the other covers show both twins? Because I have a sneaky suspicion that this cover model is not a twin!!

It sounds like Enid is close to coming out of the closet. Very close.

HelenB Reply:

Haha, my first reaction to Enid watching Xena was exactly the same. “So, they’re finally admitting that she’s a lesbian?”

KateC Reply:

Me too!

• Shannon February 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Jane, it’s definitely lame.

Sandy, I think the only cover that shows both twins is the last book in the series.

Enid is so totally a lesbian. I wish they’d just straight out say so.

• HelenB February 17, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I can’t believe Senior Year is seriously making me feel sorry for Jessica Wakefield.

Glad that Liz is as annoying as ever, though.

Yeah, if there’s one thing we can count on, it’s that Liz is always hateable.

Misty Reply:

I read some of these books when they first came out. Somehow, Liz is even more annoying in this series than she was in the original one.

She really is, and for entirely different reasons. There just isn’t a ghostwriter out there capable of making her a likeable character.

thea Reply:

why is everyone hating on liz?

ok i get she lost her damn mind when she met conner. and she is being a bitch to maria. u do have a point when u said she should have realized she dodged a bullet after talking to tia, but instead she was crushing even harder on him. i guess its more angst. funny thing is i get her, and kinda hoped that she and conner would have kissed at the end (is that bad of me?). i didnt want conner with maria cuz she is boring and annoying.

the real bitches in this book are melissa and she dogs and lila. surprising tho that ppl are only now calling jess a slut, she was always the loose type.

• rachierach February 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Shannon, who is the ghostwriter for this series?

I don’t know. I just looked at the copyright page, and it just says, “Conceived by Francine Pascal.” No other author’s name mentioned.

Sandy Reply:

*snickers at “conceived”* Sorry, but yeah, birthing this was prolly a pain.

rachierach Reply:

It’s OK…I understand the ghostwriter wanted to remain totally anonymous…who would ever come forward to admit they wrote these books? Actually, I would!

• S.R. February 17, 2010 at 3:52 pm

SVH: Senior Year makes me feel sorry for Jessica too. There isn’t too much Lila in these books, especially as the series goes on, which is unfortunate.

Christine Reply:

Guess the new ghostwriter(s) wanted to bring their own new cast of characters to play with? But they bore me. I just don’t care. Tia and…Angel? (I assume Buffy/Angel was popular at this time.) Is Will supposed to be a Bruce substitute, with even less charm/more sleaze? Where’s Winston? And bring back the REAL Lila! 🙁 I still think she’s doing stuff that’s beneath her, in the name of popularity. She gets phased out of the books later? Whyyyyy?

I only feel a teensy bit sorry for Jessica…’cause I remember the previous series (SAM!!) and hold grudges like that. 😛 Interesting how Todd and everyone apparently believes these rumours, and nobody gives her the benefit of the doubt. (Does Liz even know/care what’s going on with her twin? Psychic link out of order? 😛 It’s like she swings from being a doormat for Jess to being completely self-absorbed in her own little “romantic” dramas.)

Of course I looove the double standard… the idea of Jessica being with another girl’s boyfriend = ostracize and sabotage! Will cheating on his girlfriend = no biggie. Bah. At least Sweet Valley is consistent in it’s message there. Guys are powerless to resist those conniving slutty females, eh?

They bore me, too! We NEED Winston and Lila, but they’re gone. And yeah, Liz is suddenly so worried about her own problems that she can’t really seem to bring herself to care about anyone else.

• Lindsay February 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Jessica looks like an Olsen twin on that cover.

Don’t make me feel sorry for Jessica, ghostwriter. Don’t.

• Lorelai February 17, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Will is channeling his inner Dawson Leery on the cover…not a good look. And Melissa looks like Paget Brewster. Honestly, though, I hate all of these people.

I hate them, too.

• Fear Street February 17, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I <3 pale lunchbox girl.

I’m thinking Enid and her new friend are probably more fun to hang out with than anyone else in Sweet Valley.

Sandy Reply:

Wait a minute! This was when Willow and that other Witch on Buffy were getting close. I think….

• Janelle February 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I have mixed feelings over the covers- I actually really like the design- the black sides, the different colors, and stuff… and I kinda like the “twins”. But yeah- Will Simmons is supposed to be hot. And Melissa is supposed to be pretty- petite and delicate- I think it said- those models suck!

Oh, yeah, it’s not the design that bothers me, it’s the models and the stupid poses.

• Merrie February 18, 2010 at 11:57 am

I keep thinking of Johnmny Angel. Wasn’t that the name of the Slater-wannabe with the new Saved By The Bell class?

I weep for my brain knowing these things …

I’m so happy you are back Shannon! Even SV twitter world is more fun now!

I know! I love that Will and Melissa now have Twitter accounts.

• Dee February 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I’m also really glad that you’re recapping the senior year books. It’s been years since I read them, so now I have you to look forward to remind me of what SVSY was all about 🙂 I’m trying to remember if Winston or Bruce were even mentioned at all. Or Maria Santelli. I remember Maria Slater’s constant appearance in Senior Year was really annoying to me for some reason. I didn’t mind the new El Carro characters, but I think the old SVH should have still been around.

Have you read the whole series yet?

• Svugirl February 19, 2010 at 2:38 am

Great recap as usual! The models have the creepiest neck positions! Tia looks like she’s broken her poor neck!

• chacy March 2, 2010 at 11:41 pm

this might seem like a silly question but what happened to
    the todd-elizabeth-devon triangle?
    who did liz choose in the end?

Devon left town at the end of the last series, and Liz and Todd decided to spend the summer apart and see how they feel later. In the beginning of this series, she thinks about Todd for like a second and then moves on.

Karla Reply:

HA! Which she totally should have done about a hundred books ago.

• KateC March 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Notable change:

Sex now exists in Sweet valley.

• Ms. K May 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I’m sorry, so Jess does a dance to a song she’s never practiced to? In what universe does that make sense? If I’d been her, I would’ve stopped, said, “That’s not my tape,” found the correct song and proceeded with my dance. (Yes, Melissa stole the tape, but it wouldn’t have been hard to find the song on a CD or the radio or something.) How is she supposed to be a good, strong captain if she screws up so royally?

And yes, I do believe Enid is playing for the other team. If her career choice in SVC isn’t a tongue-in-cheek jab at that, then I don’t know what is.

• bia_lee June 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm