More Sweet Valley Confidential news

I just received an official press release from St. Martin’s Press, and they have confirmed what I heard from JJ. Sweet Valley Confidential is still a go! We still have a tentative publication date of February 2011, and Francine Pascal assures us we will be “shocked” at the way our friends have turned out.

According to the release, “the new book takes place twelve years after the high school series and follows the sisters into adulthood where the real world intrudes after a perfect childhood.”

This should be interesting!

What do you guys think she means by the real world intruding? I think it means Jessica gets a pimple and Liz gets rejected when she tries to get a job at the Sweet Valley News.

Tags:

Comments
  • Svugirl90 February 11, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Squee! Jessica gets dumped and Elizabeth has a child out of wedlock maybe?

Maybe she’ll have twins!

• Jane February 11, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I wonder who will be gay? You know someone has to be!

Besides Tom? Purely based on the events of “V” for Victory, I’m guessing Ken and/or Todd has to be gay. I know Winston was there, too, but I’m thinking it would be hilarious if Winston grew up to be totally hunky with a hot wife, which would have Jessica seething with anger.

Oh, and Enid. Obviously.

Jane Reply:

Todd for sure! But a part of me hopes it will be Bruce.

Oh, I can definitely see that.

• HelenB February 11, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Here’s hoping Jessica comes out, and Elizabeth is a homemaker who sacrificed her big dreams of journalism for a husband and 2.5 kids. Eventually, her restricted lifestyle starts to drive her crazy, and her and Jessica go on a cross-country crime spree during which they reconnect with their childhood friends. Jessica hooks up with Lila but eventually leaves her for Enid, and Todd and Jeff (one a policeman, one and FBI agent) have to team up to bring the two sisters down.

OK, that scenario’s a little unlikely. Excited for the book, though!

HelenB Reply:

Oh man, I forgot Bruce. Clearly he would be the one to seduce Liz away from her inhibited housewife ways.

I think you need to call Francine right now and pitch your ideas to her.

HelenB Reply:

I hope she likes the “Tricia Martin never actually died, she faked it to get rid of Steven then ran off to join the circus” storyline.

A bestseller in the making!

• Jenna February 11, 2010 at 5:30 pm

A perfect childhood? They’ve survived multiple deaths, kidnappings, earthquakes, fires, betrayals, parents that only kinda care what they are doing, etc etc. . . how is that perfect??

But they never had to do any school work and got to have a dance every weekend. So what if all Jessica’s boyfriends die and Liz can’t stop cheating on Todd? There’s always a party at Lila’s to cheer them up!

Christine Reply:

I can’t get past the “perfect childhood” part of the press release either. (Good thing it’s the *end* of the press release, so I don’t have to get past it. ;))

I can’t wait to be shocked. Normally I’d be dreading a sequel to something from my childhood, especially one that’s going for cheap shock value over logical storytelling. But…it’s Sweet Valley! So I’m used to it. Bring it on!

I can’t wait, either! The way I see it, it could be cheesy and over the top, in which case it would be just like the rest of the books, or it could actually be decent, in which case I would be pleasantly surprised. Either way we can’t lose!

Risa Reply:

I hope at least one of them ends up with cystic acne. Maybe Ned has a secret family. Or maybe Ned isn’t their real father!

• Fear Street February 11, 2010 at 11:34 pm

A PERFECT childhood?!

Christine Reply:

I know! Maybe compared to those poor kids who lived (and died) on Fear Street. 😉

Ha. At least the Fear Street kids always had a pizza parlor to hang out in.

• perfectsize12 February 12, 2010 at 12:11 am

I seriously can’t wait. I want evil doppelgangers, twin switches, and werewolves!!!

Oh, there had better be a twin switch!

• Amanda February 12, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I wonder if Francine will introduce any new characters or if she’ll just keep inbreeding the kids of Sweet Valley with each other. Also, it would be nice to see one of them branch out, and maybe move to like , GASP, Palisades…but since Sweet Valley is the “perfect” place to live, I don’t see that happening. 🙂 And I bet Todd and Elizabeth get married, and then divorced, and then married, and then divorced…or they have an “open” marriage…either way I can’t wait to read this book!

• FINALLY! « The Feminist Texican [Reads] February 13, 2010 at 6:41 pm

[…] have been swirling for a while, and now it looks like I only have to wait one more year for Sweet Valley Confidential.  The book will feature the Sweet Valley crowd in their […]

• Darren March 21, 2010 at 4:22 am

This is an interesting book. I got my own version worked out:

The characters relocate to Japan
    The characters have houses built in an open area in one of the hills and keep it gated, treating it as like a tourist attraction.
    Elizabeth is back with Todd
    Jessica dates Nick Fox and is a Japanese police officer
    LIla and Bruce married, have a girl named Eillie
    Steven married Tara Bell (she was a Beverly Hills Teen character, southern girl with red curled hair, like Tricia)
    Sandra would marry Manuel
    Jean would marry Scot Trost

Ken would marry Lita, who is Sailor Jupiter, and help her run their own restaurant
    Caroline lost her sister/mother to the Earthquake. Married to Jerry, will have baby girl Anita.

Lila/Bruce both work together for computer/construction
    Elizabeth runs interior designer
    Jessica is a police officer
    Mandy Miller designs clothes

Just my version of what Sweet Valley would be like after the earthquake, then devastating fires.