And that’s all I have to say about that.

That’s it, the end of the series! I can’t believe I made it. It was a long road, but I think I’m a stronger person for my struggles. Quite possibly a dumber person, but definitely stronger.

This will not be the end of Shannon’s Sweet Valley High Blog, I promise, so please don’t unsubscribe or take me off your bookmarks just yet. Unless, you know, you’re sick of me. Right now, however, I am taking a much deserved break. I will be back with recaps of SVH Senior Year at some point. If you’d like to email me (the address is over there in the sidebar) I will gladly send you a message when I’m ready to start posting again. Just put “SVH Blog” in the subject line.

Thank you all so much for reading and sticking it out with me until the end. I’ve had so much fun writing this blog, and reading everyone’s comments always makes my day.

I’ll be back! Meanwhile, feel free to start from the beginning.

Comments
  • rachierach January 6, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Thanks! You deserve a freakin’ medal for making it through all those blogs. It was fun to read them at work, even though I didn’t comment as much as some other loyal readers. And thank you for being so frequent with your updates–It’s annoying when you start reading a blog, following it, getting ‘into’ it–than the blogger just vanishes and leaves you hanging!

Although I love your humor, I’m not gonna check out your Gilmore Girls blog–I loathed that show more than ‘Full House.’ I’ll just wait for you to start the SVH Senior Year blogs.

Thanks again!!! πŸ™‚

Ha, no worries. Gilmore Girls isn’t for everyone!

There were a couple times I had to leave you guys hanging because I was waiting for a book to come in the mail, and I just hate doing that. With Senior Year, I plan to not start posting until I actually have all the books and have quite a few of them recapped and ready to go.

• Merrie January 6, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Can your break be like a SVH summer vacation — one book and it is over? πŸ™‚

Oh, no. I think I’m going to need much longer than that to recover!

• HelenB January 6, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Really looking forward to Senior Year, since I never new they existed until recently! Have a lovely, twin-free break, though πŸ˜€

I didn’t know they existed either until I started this blog! It should be fun to see what happens.

• Jenna January 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I guess I’m going to have to start over at book one. *sigh* Well, at least I won’t have to read about werewolves for awhile.

In all seriousness, Shannon, it has been such a pleasure and such a high point of my day to enter the ridiculous world of Sweet Valley. You are a gifted blogger, and I am bummed it’s over. Can’t wait for Senior Year!

Thanks, Jenna. You’ve been here since the beginning and I love you for sticking around. And thank you for linking to me on Facebook so many times and telling your friends about the blog. You brought me a lot of traffic!

• pibetaalpha January 6, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for the recaps!

You’re very welcome!

• megan s. January 6, 2010 at 8:09 pm

oh noooooooo! lol

• Fear Street January 6, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I give you props for finishing. Whenever I feel like killing myself over painfully stupid Fear Street books, I’ll think of you and hopefully that will help me go on…and on…and on.

Anyway, I hope you come back soon!

Thanks! How many Fear Street books are there? I mean, there’s got to be an end in sight, right?

• Lindsay January 6, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Enjoy your break, you certainly do deserve it. I wouldn’t have busted my head into a brick wall loooong ago.

Lindsay Reply:

And by wouldn’t have, I obviously meant would have.

Thanks, Lindsay!

• Lorelai January 7, 2010 at 12:41 am

How am I going to survive? Enjoy your break, though. Thank you so much for this blog!

Thank you so much for reading! I’ll try not to take too long to come back.

• Kerry Lynn January 7, 2010 at 5:26 am

I found this blog 3 days ago and have read it from book one to the end in that time…my eyes hurt! Wow….I cant wait for senior year and then please please Sweet Valley University!!

Wow, that’s a lot of reading! Thank you! Sorry you found it just as I was finishing up, but I promise I won’t be gone long!

• Beth January 7, 2010 at 11:38 am

I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. You should consider doing Sweet Valley Twins sometime..although I know you must be experiencing too much SV burnout to even consider tackling a new series with 100+ books!

I’m slowly gathering books from other series. My awesome cousin just sent me a box full of Sweet Valley Twins books and my mom gave me a bunch of Sweet Valley Junior High for Christmas. I plan to do all of them at some point, with the possible exception of Sweet Valley Kids because I think that shit would be boring.

Anonymous Reply:

Doing Sweet Valley Twins would be like recapping BSC Little Sister.

“Ding Sweet Valley Twins” — hee, hee.

Dirty!

You mean Sweet Valley Kids? I also think it would be like recapping Little Sister, and I hated those books. At least in SVK, the kids know how to use contractions. At least I think so.

• Children of the 90s January 7, 2010 at 11:56 am

I agree that you deserve a medal–I’m beyond impressed at your perseverance! You have no idea how many workdays your blog has gotten me through πŸ™‚

Thank you! I must say, though, that your blog helps me get through the day just as often!

• Erin January 7, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I’m so sad that it’s over! As Jenna said, it’s been the highlight of my day. I usually sit down with my coffee and read the latest recap. I’m going to miss it! You’re the best, Shannon!
    Also, as Kerry Lynn mentioned, I would love to see some SVU recaps. Those books were always a guilty pleasure for me. Enjoy your break!

I promise I’ll get to them eventually, but I’m not really itching to do them since I never actually read SVU. I think I read one where someone was stealing someone else’s identity, but that’s it. But from what I hear, it should be pretty interesting.
    Thank you for reading!

• Sadako January 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Congrats, Shannon!

Thank you, thank you! I feel like two size-six weights have been lifted off my shoulders.

• Cordee January 8, 2010 at 1:31 am

Yay! Thank you for sticking it out – your recaps are awesome and have provided me with many, many, many hours of entertainment. Take a nice, well-deserved break from SVH. You’ve earned it! I look forward to catching up wih you at Luke’s Diner.

Cheers and congrats!

Thanks, Cordee! I’ll see you at Luke’s!

• Darren January 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Uh, where did you put Aftershock at? Thanks for doing the entire series for us fans. If you do SVU, note in 20 that Olivia resurrected from the dead for no reason.

I put it right after Earthquake: http://shannonsweetvalley.com/2010/01/06/sweet-valley-high-super-edition-12-aftershock/

I’ve heard about Olivia and am looking forward to that book!

• Ugh! January 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I really enjoyed your recaps and used them for Twitter fodder. I’m one of the SV characters on Twitter but I’m not admitting which one. πŸ™‚

I am also one of the characters, but I’m also not admitting which one!

• Darren January 10, 2010 at 1:42 am

Shannon, relax, I’d never take you off my bookmark. You’re a living doll to write a great review of Sweet Valley. Sometimes though as the better half, I may disagree with the viewpoint, but I still think you write a good review.

Thanks, Darren! I know you think I’m a little harsh in my reviews, but I’m glad you’ve stuck with me. I hope you’ll come back for Senior Year!

• Iwantyoursass January 12, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Wow congrats on finishing! I’ve been reading your blog for a while and look forward to more sweet valley snark and your GG blog!

• Karla January 13, 2010 at 1:43 am

I feel like a tool for commenting so damn much these past 24 hours, but your blog is fucking awesome. Can’t wait for Senior Year! (That sounds as lame as I meant it to)

I’m also one of the SVH characters on Twitter but I prefer to remain anonymous πŸ˜‰

Don’t! I love when people leave comments. The more the better!

Karla Reply:

Awesome! There will definitely be more…this is such an awesome way of putting of writing Teh Great American Novel.

You’re telling me. I spent almost a year reading Sweet Valley books and putting off writing my own Great American Novel.

Karla Reply:

Which you can totally still do, and in the meantime you’ve done a great service to humanity.

• April January 13, 2010 at 3:28 am

hi shannon! congrats for recapping the SVH Books! I really loved your blog! I hope you’ll gonna recap SVHSY or SVT next.

Thanks, April! I’ll be back fairly soon with Senior Year!

• Karla January 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Shannon, do you (or anyone) happen to know if there are any SVH crossover fanfic sites out there? I’d love to do SVH meets The Endless…

• Tara January 13, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Congratulations, Shannon! Well done on making it through all those books – that’s a huge accomplishment! I’ve read at least a few books of every SV series and I agree that it’s not worth it to do Sweet Valley Kids.

I think the other series are Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley Twins and Friends, Sweet Valley Junior High, Sweet Valley University, Sweet Valley Senior Year and of course, Elizabeth (only read the first book, but it was completely crappy). Considering its protagonist, it’s not hard to imagine why!

In answer to Karla’s question above, you can find a SVH fanfic site at http://www.fanfiction.net and they even have a few SVH crossovers, although I haven’t read them. One is with the Baby-sitters Club and two are with Twilight (shudders!)

Karla Reply:

Thanks, Tara! The SVH/BSC crossover sounds all kinds of fun. The Twilight ones…? Unngggghhhh.

• Tara January 13, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Oh, and of course there’s the Unicorn series too. Wow, they really milked the Sweet Valley universe, didn’t they?

Karla Reply:

They didn’t do Sweet Valley Toddlers! πŸ™‚

Tara Reply:

Hehe…they would’ve if they thought of it. But then maybe even Francine draws the line at toddlers dating and cheating on each other. =) I’m expecting a “SVH Graduates” series to make an appearance one day, though.

Karla Reply:

Ha! Yeah, I have to draw the line there myself. Yheesh! =)

Francine was making noise at one time about Sweet Valley Heights, which sounds like Sweet Valley Graduates. What’s up with that?

I could see Jessica and Bruce in law school. I’m sure the GWs would not be above a grade Z ripoff of Legally Blonde.

Darren Reply:

Actually, I heard rumors the Archie series is doing a version of the Archies gang as Toddlers sometime in 2010. That should be interesting in the comics.

Karla Reply:

Oh, all kinds of ouch! Heh.

Karla Reply:

Oh, and that comment I posted about Bruce’s douchiness making him hotter? First of all, my apologies, because that is one hell of a crappy message to send. But I kind of have a problem with falling for hot asswipes, so it was also a dig at myself. I guess I should have put a winky emoticon or something. Like this πŸ˜‰

Don’t worry, you’re not the only Bruce fan around here!

Karla Reply:

Hee hee – yeah, I noticed that. Just felt I should qualify in case there are Young, Impressionable Minds reading…

• Lindsay January 14, 2010 at 9:02 am

Dahlink, you have been nominated…again

Lindsay Reply:

Derrr, I’m dumb. Forgot the link

• Anners January 15, 2010 at 12:34 am

… and that is what is called dedication. Congrats! Have a happy and well-deserved break! Your recaps have spared me from rereading these literary mostrosities.

Thank you very much!

• Anners January 15, 2010 at 12:34 am

… it’d be cool if I knew how to spell… “monstrosities” aha.

• Lindsay January 17, 2010 at 3:43 am

I sent you an email about the great American roadtrip!

I’m really glad you posted this. Your email went to spam for some reason!

Lindsay Reply:

Ooo, probably because I sent it from my phone. And I just sort of sent it by text, as opposed to regular email.

• purplepoint January 21, 2010 at 8:45 pm

great job, shannon! haha, i laughed about what you said about being possibly dumber after re-reading the books! gosh, i agree! i still collect ’em but when i read them, man, i just go, what was i thinking then???

kudos! <3

• Sandy January 26, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Definitely email me!!! πŸ˜€

You are definitely on the list!

• JJ January 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Hi, my name is JJ and I’m an editorial assistant at St. Martin’s Press. As it so happens, I work for the man responsible for coming up with the idea of Sweet Valley High. I also know Francine Pascal. We are publishing a new (yes new!) Sweet Valley book in 2011–it’s called SWEET VALLEY CONFIDENTIAL and it’s an adult novel about when the twins are 28 years old.

We are interested in promoting the book online and I’m particularly fond of your blog. I was wondering if you were interested in reviewing the novel as it gets closer to publication? Please let me know. I can be contacted at sarah.jaejones@stmartins.com.

Thanks so much!
    JJ

Hi, JJ. Thanks for stopping by! I sent you an email. Let me know if you haven’t received it.

• Anners February 24, 2010 at 8:59 pm

^ πŸ™‚

• Dane Youssef November 11, 2012 at 3:51 am

Oh, Shannon… Lovely one. Town crier and newshound of “Sweet Valley”…

Thanks for all this. You read every last one of these and were gracious enough to give us blistering I wrote several reviews, editorials and capsule comments on your page. Sadly, I got no responses.

I bought “Confidential” one of the “Jessica Diaries.” Somehow, the most interesting in the entire series. Well-written and worthwhile.

Still, there are some things I just have to know–how many exact times did Jess and Todd fool around? And how many times did Todd cheat on Liz?

I really want to know…

And what was the affair between Enid and Todd in college like? Which book was that? I know Todd was with Jess in college, too. But… when?

–A Respecting Fan, Dane Youssef

• Dane Youssef February 8, 2013 at 6:47 am

Hey, another thing here, folks–

I couldn’t help but notice that the people on this
    site–ever since “Confidential” have been furious beyond words with Todd and been wanting him dead ever since the affair he had with Jessica. I mean, I know he’d been fooling around with her since “The Morning After.”

But he’d always return to Liz. No matter how much fucking around the two of them have had. But this time, it looks like they’re done for good.

Virtually every girl who ever picked up a copy of “SV” empathizes with Elizabeth–even Francine Pascal noted the girls that wrote to her WERE “Elizabeths.” They felt as betrayed as Elizabeth Wakefield herself did when she found out about the affair. They’ve been wanting to re-write “Confidential” with Winston finally becoming the star he deserved to be and Todd being the one who falls to his death. They took this thing personally. Seriously.

ALL FEMALE FANS: “This is not what we grew up wanting! We’ve invested our whole lives in this series! It’s all we have! You can’t do this to us! Todd must die–and FRANCINE WITH HER!”

See, this is the problem with treating a serial like it’s your life. Putting too much emotional investment in it.

Try to keep in mind these people don’t really exist and this is all just a run of books.

I know some may think, “Yeah, no duh…” But seriously, read these angry posts… the readers genuinely need to be told this.

–Best Wishes, Dane Youssef