Sweet Valley High #143: Party Weekend

SVH143Read part one of this miniseries here. Read part two here.

The Moral of the Story: Screw finding a moral, I barely even know what this one is supposed to be about. This is even worse than the damned werewolf books.

The Big Deal: Brunch party at Lila’s, inter-school fair, dance and talent show

The morning after the prom, Jessica drags Liz over to Lila’s brunch party so they can confront her about teaming up with Courtney and trying to steal Devon. The three of them start arguing on Lila’s front lawn about who should really get Devon, but then the man himself shows up and tells them all to fuck off. Then Olivia gets there and says she has some important news.

Apparently, it’s a tradition in Sweet Valley to have an inter-school fair the day after prom. It’s a big deal. There’s some kind of contest to get the juniors excited about their senior year, but the details are kept secret until the last minute. Olivia is SVH’s leader, and she tells everyone she just heard that the contest is going to be a talent show. They have two days to put together an awesome act.

Everyone heads on over to Palisades High for the fair. Except they don’t even do any fair-type stuff because they have to work on their talent show act. As soon as they get there, Jessica and Olivia have a run-in with Erica Dixon, the El Carro team’s captain. She’s a total bitch and steals SVH’s practice space for some reason. Jessica is pissed that Olivia is content to just let Erica push her around, so she vows to get even. Then she walks outside and sees Christian Gorman leaning against a tree. And he disappears. Great, just what this series needs: ghosts.

The number SVH puts together for the show is a dance routine to the song Opposites Attract, and it will feature a “good twin, evil twin” theme. Naturally. Olivia has Liz and Devon go to the Wakefields’ house to get stuff from the twins’ rooms that they can use as set dressing to show a contrast between the twins. Things are really awkward between Liz and Devon. Meanwhile, Olivia has the worst self-esteem in the world, and she gets all bent out of shape when Ken hears about the problem with Erica and says he thinks Erica is nice. Everyone eats lunch together and Jessica spills some grape juice on Erica’s shirt. Erica freaks out and threatens to kill everyone. Later, Ken tells Olivia she should apologize to her.

This plot is a freaking mess.

There’s a big dance that night for all the schools. Olivia won’t go because she’s so afraid of seeing Erica. She and Ken have a fight about it and she tells him to go without her and then gets depressed when he actually does it. Jessica has managed to get a date with a Palisades guy named Josh Brighton, and he shows up at the Wakefields’ house with Christian’s ghost, who actually turns out to be Christian’s brother, Jason. After Jessica faints and wakes up, she gets Liz to join them and go to the dance. When they get there, the only nice girl from El Carro’s team, Tia, tells them they’d better go check out their practice area. It’s been totally trashed. Everything has been spray painted with El Carro’s colors. Jessica gets Lila and Maria to agree to sneaking back late that night and trashing El Carro’s stuff. She’s waiting for them to come pick her up, and then suddenly Christian is sitting on her bed. He’s come to remind her that it was a school war just like this one that caused his death. When Lila and Maria show up, Jessica tells them the plan is off.

Deep breaths. Go to a zen place. It’s the only way we’re getting through this. Don’t worry, it’s almost over.

The next day, everyone trudges back to Palisades High to practice some more and to clean up the mess El Carro made. And suddenly, Jessica gets it into her head that she should use the auditorium’s rigging from their last production of Peter Pan to fly down onto the stage as a grand finale. Ken overhears some El Carro kids talking about cutting the ropes, and he finally gets that Erica is a bitch and Olivia was right all along.

That night, Sweet Valley is just about to go on when Jessica starts throwing up. I guess she’s sick and there’s no way she can go on. Everyone is about to call it quits and go home, but Jessica tells Olivia to take her place. Suddenly, Olivia knows how to dance. Erica doesn’t cut the ropes, but she does turn off the lights just as Olivia is climbing the scaffolding to get to the ropes. She falls and ends up hanging from the rafters, and Ken gets to rush in and be all heroic and save her.

A big fight breaks out on stage between El Carro and Sweet Valley. Palisades takes Sweet Valley’s side because I guess they’re allies now. Jessica is back in the projection room with Josh, and she’s sure someone is going to get hurt or killed. A well timed projection of a picture of Christian quiets everyone down. And they all lived happily ever after, except for Todd, who sees everyone hanging out at the Dairi Burger later and gives them all a “hurt look.”

Worst. Book. Ever.

I am not going to let Jessica Wakefield or anyone else destroy my self-confidence! [Olivia] vowed.

Not that they’d have far to go if you did.

He’s really nice – and hot! she thought. I’ll bet Josh could help keep my mind off Christian.

Right. When I start seeing my ex’s ghost, a new boyfriend is just the thing to help me get over it.

Elizabeth listened for her cue, then shimmied toward the center as her twin did the same from the other side. She and Jessica joined hands, then jumped apart, then faced forward and pumped their elbows back. Jessica executed a handspring, and Lila followed. Then Elizabeth and Maria performed perfect leaps.

This dance routine sucks ass.

The Cover: What the hell are you guys wearing?

Tags: , , ,

Comments
  • Merrie December 30, 2009 at 1:45 pm

This is so bad. It is beyond awful. Now I want Olivia to die in the earthquake.

I know. I think this must be the worst book of the series. And oh man, is that saying a lot.

• Jenna December 30, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Thank you thank you thank you for the dance description. Oh my god. . . Sweet Valley ‘nobodies’ must hate the Wakefields with a passion. I know I do!

I thought you’d like that! I totally hate them, too.

• megan s. December 30, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I’m confused….what was this book about??

And is that the same Tia from Senior Year?

I have no idea what this book is about, lol.

And yes, it’s that Tia.

• Lorelai December 30, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I seriously loved this book when I was younger; must’ve been all the callbacks to the High School War books.

That must have been it because I can’t think of any other reason for someone to like this book. 😉

• Fear Street December 30, 2009 at 7:58 pm

OUCH.

Exactly.

• Lori December 30, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Why do they keep pumping their arms in the dance? Are they chickens?

Jessica sees dead Christian after the prom and not Sam? That seems wrong. Forget another school war why not a book with Jessica being haunted and terrorized by all the dead boyfriends?

I would absolutely love a book all about Jessica being haunted by dead boyfriends. It would probably be the best book of the series.

Christine Reply:

Fanfic! Fanfic! Someone write this as a fanfic! Please? (I guess I’m always asking people to entertain me with fanfic I’m too lazy – and untalented! – to write myself ;))

• Lauri December 30, 2009 at 11:56 pm

I know I must have issues, but is this the same Erica that Will cheated on Melissa with during Senior Year?
    I did read somewhere that Tia was the only “new” sr.yr. character to appear in the orginal series.

megan s. Reply:

when did will cheat with an Erica?

I’ve only read the first Senior Year book, so someone else is going to have to field this one.

• Darren January 2, 2010 at 2:08 am

Man, seems like they’re sabotouging their own book series. I think it should’ve ended after Margo croaked in 100.

As for the Senior series…is the characters the same, or are they different? As in are we going to see the familiar Sweet Valley Crowd, or are they going to be separated IE The cheerleaders, Enid, and others? WHat will happen with Pi Beta Alpha?

I think it should have ended long before Margo ever showed up.

I’ve only read the first Senior Year book, but it starts after the earthquake. The Wakefields are living with the Fowlers, so Lila is around. Enid seems to fade into the background pretty quickly and black Maria is Liz’s new best friend. It’s been a while since I read it, but I don’t remember any mention of Winston or white Maria, but Ken and Todd are there. So, yeah, a lot of our familiar folks are around.

• purplepoint January 19, 2010 at 7:49 am

Shannon, I love your blog!

Anyway, I share your hate over the freakin’ werewolf books!

Thank you! Those books are the worst. Except for this one.

• Sandy January 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm

WORST COVER EVER!!!
    I hated it the moment I clicked on the story. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

The dance routine sounds craptacular! I may do this the next time I’m at the grocery store and an 80’s song comes on the speakers.

• Nikki July 6, 2014 at 7:52 am

“Ken hears about the problem with Erica and says he thinks Erica is nice. Everyone eats lunch together and Jessica spills some grape juice on Erica’s shirt. Erica freaks out and threatens to kill everyone. Later, Ken tells Olivia she should apologize to her.”

Three things here:
    1) Clearly Ken likes Erica and just wants to get some.
    2) Why should Olivia apologize to Erica when Jessica spilled the juice on her?
    3) Why is Jessica never held accountable?

• ladytuku October 31, 2014 at 12:19 am

why can`t jeremy aames from the senior year series have met jessica at this event? than they could have been together at the beginning of the svsy series and will would have been stuck with evil melissa heh