Sweet Valley High #141: A Picture-Perfect Prom?

SVH141The Moral of the Story: The best way to get the girl is to date her worst enemy or play a trick on her.

The Big Deal: Nothing. Everyone’s getting ready for the big prom.

It’s time for another prom at Sweet Valley High. Because the last one turned out so well. Liz doesn’t know if she wants to go with Todd or Devon, or even if either of them wants to go with her. Devon thinks proms are stupid and he’d never go to one…unless Liz wanted him to take her. Enid is pretty sure Blubber Johnson is going to ask her and she’s not interested. Jessica and Lila don’t know who they’re going to go with, but they’re sure they can get any guys they want. They decide to rank all the guys they know and make sure the best ones ask them to be their dates.

Todd and Liz are both on the prom committee and they’re totally nervous about seeing each other at the first meeting. But then Todd suggests a 1940s theme that goes over really well with Liz. Now that the ice has been broken, they find it easier to talk to each other. The prom committee meets a few days later in the country club’s ballroom to check things out. Todd is holding a ladder steady for Liz and daydreaming about touching her ankles when Devon walks in and offers to help. Liz immediately ditches Todd and starts hanging out with Devon. Across the room, Enid needs a piece of paper and sees Jessica’s chemistry notebook, which Liz picked up as she ran out the door. Enid picks up the notebook and Winston grabs the piece of paper that falls out. The next day, he reads Jessica and Lila’s list of guys over the intercom at school and then passes out typed copies of it. Nobody will talk to Jessica or Lila, and Jessica decides the whole thing is Liz’s fault.

Devon and Todd each want nothing more than to take Liz to the prom, but neither one of them can work up the nerve to ask her. In the meantime, Liz gets more and more depressed because it’s clear to her that both of the guys she’s in love with only want to be friends with her. At one prom committee meeting, Liz cuts her hand and Devon bandages it for her. Todd is at that moment walking into the building with a bouquet of flowers. He’s all ready to ask Liz to the dance, but then he sees Devon kissing her hand. He turns around, throws the flowers away and goes home to feel sorry for himself. After whining about how unfair his life is, he decides he’ll ask somebody to the dance that will really hurt Liz. “And she’s sure to come running back to my arms.” Bastard.

Since none of the guys at Sweet Valley High will talk to them, Jessica and Lila decide to place personal ads in other schools’ newspapers. They get tons of applicants and set up appointments for them to come meet them at Fowler Crest. Of course, Jessica and Lila both fall for the same guy, Jordan, and they each ask him to the prom without the other knowing. Oddly, he says yes to both of them.

There’s yet another prom committee meeting, and Devon is determined to ask Liz to the prom. Just as he’s about to do it, Todd walks in with Courtney Kane. He looks all smug and jerky. Devon is glad Todd’s out of the picture, but then he notices Liz’s reaction. She’s choking back sobs and generally looking like her life is over.

Devon gives it a few days and then decides to give it another go. He really wants to know if he’d be Liz’s first choice, though, so he decides to be sneaky. He invites her to go to dinner one night. After she accepts, he sends her a bouquet of flowers and a note from Todd, asking her to meet him at the beach at the same time as her date with Devon. Then he waits outside her house and follows her to see where she’s going. When she goes to the beach instead of the restaurant, Devon gets pissed. He doesn’t know she just went there to return Todd’s ring to him.

By the way, Blubber Johnson finally corners Enid and asks her to the prom and she’s too spineless to say no, even though she really doesn’t want to go with him.

• “Lisette’s? Why there? That place is so early eighties.”
  • “Well,” Lila said… “[Bruce has] kissed a lot of girls since you dated him, Jess. How long ago was that? It feels like a decade ago or more.”

Ha, I think this is the ghostwriter’s subtle way of telling Francine the series has gone on for way too long.

Enid returned [Liz’s] smile. “If I dressed up in a tux, I could take you to the prom,” she offered jokingly.

No, don’t even act like you’re joking.

I hate Todd. So, so much.

The Cover: I HATE Liz’s hair. And the look on her face. And Jessica’s dress. And everything about this cover, pretty much.

Tags:

Comments
  • Sadako December 28, 2009 at 2:32 pm

BLUBBER Johnson? was someone cribbing from Judy Blume?

Must have been! Poor Blubber Johnson.

• megan s. December 28, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Why was Enid being so picky anyway? It’s not like she had a long line!

Devon shouldn’t give up so easily. Todd’s a jerk.

Seriously, who was she hoping would ask her?

Kate Reply:

I know! All the hot college guys who are all over her won’t even know it’s prom time, so she’s shit out of luck.

• Wendy December 28, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Liz, go to prom by your self. Idiot.
    Todd, Liz is on a ladder and you are checking out her Ankles???

Even if she’d been wearing a skirt, it probably wouldn’t have occurred to Todd to look at anything but her ankles. He’s so lame.

• Anonymous December 28, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Blubber? Really Blubber?

Enid just come out of the closet all ready.

I can’t beliieve their having another prom. I mean Jungle Prom went so well.

Yeah, the last thing this school needs is another prom. Nothing good ever happens at a Sweet Valley High dance.

Kate Reply:

Awe, Enid. So in love with Liz!

“If I put on a tux…” heh heh. Awkward silence.

Poor Enid!

• Lorelai December 28, 2009 at 11:09 pm

I really love that the ghostwriters are all turning on Francine with their digs at how long the series has been going on. That’s pure unadulterated awesome.

Also, Enid and Liz really should go to the prom together, because they’re both bitches with an inflated sense of self-importance. And I think Enid would really dig that.

• Darren December 31, 2009 at 6:30 pm

How in the world can you have TWO proms in one year? I’m still trying to figure out how they had 4 Christmases in Sweet Valley and like 3 Spring breaks! Somebody explain the logic to have 2 proms in one year at Sweet Valley?

And what’s with this El Carro, El Charro High School? Why couldn’t they use Carver HIgh School and have the White Shadow for an appearance? You know, that old 70s show, sheesh!

I think Elizabeth and Enid should’ve went to the prom together and declared their undying love.

BTW, did anybody bring up the fact Elizabeth killed Sam? Or is Sam a forgotten character.

• Karla January 13, 2010 at 1:25 am

Jesus Christ, Enid, it’s just prom. You don’t have to fuck him. Really, you don’t.

Sandy Reply:

I wish I could click “Like” on your comment. lol

Karla Reply:

Thanks!

• Jessica Squits the Quad July 19, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I can’t believe Enid was being so picky. She should be thankful someone – and isn’t he a footballer? – actually asked her! She’s fug, man.

squeen Reply:

I don’t know why everyone always says Enid is ugly. I always thought she was pretty on the earlier covers. I think the twins look awful on the cover of this book. Way too old to be in high school. I don’t understand why all these guys are so hot for Elizabeth. Its not like she even puts out.

• Darren July 21, 2010 at 3:36 am

How can you have 2 proms in one Junior Year along with like 2 Christmases? these writers really messed up!

• Dane Youssef February 10, 2013 at 5:38 am

“Lisette’s? Why there? That place is so early eighties.”

Well-put, Francine. It’s like the practice of euthanasia. It’s cruel for living creatures, but a series should end before when the wine reaches that peak, passes that tipping point… starts to turn to straight vinegar.

No, don’t even act like you’re joking.

She’s probably not. And damn it, that’s not a bad idea.

TODD: “Liz and I belong together – at the prom and everywhere else. We, like, represent the words boyfriend and girlfriend at this school. It’s Liz’s responsibility to go with me. It’s her duty to be head over heels in love with me!”

The heart-breaking thing… is that he’s absolutely right. This is why they lasted so long. No matter how many times they poked around and broke up, they always got back together. I think that’s why Francine finally got tired of all this (like the rest of us did) and just put Todd with Jessica. She read the last outing spotlighting the romance of Elizabeth Wakefield and Todd Wilkins, just threw up her hands and said, “Oh Christ, enough!

We agree, Mrs. Pascal. All-too much.”

–Best of The Best To All (Especially to Shannon), Dane Youssef