Sweet Valley High #140: Please Forgive Me

SVH140Read part one of this miniseries here. Read part two here.

The Moral of the Story: A week of starving in the woods will help you figure your whole life out.

The Big Deal: Barbecue at Secca Lake

Liz is super pissed at Todd and Devon. She’s completely overreacting, pacing around and crying just because a couple of punches were thrown. Whatever. You cheated on one with the other and got them fighting over you and now you’re complaining? Bitch, please. Liz decides she needs to do something to prove her independence from guys. Enid tells her about some Project Adventure camping trip and Liz convinces her parents to let her take a week off of school to do it. She’ll be learning to survive in the woods on nothing but a pocket knife and her wits. Sounds awful.

Jessica can’t believe Liz actually wants to do this instead of help her plan the barbecue she’s decided to throw at Secca Lake. Liz doesn’t want to help Jessica because she’s so mad at her, but for some reason she ends up agreeing to write the text for the invitations before she leaves for her stupid camping trip. Meanwhile, both Devon and Todd are totally depressed that Liz won’t speak to them. Todd can’t stop thinking about her and Devon actually considers drowning himself in the ocean. Guys, she ain’t that hot.

Todd takes up mountain biking with that hippie Keith Wagner, and pretty soon he has all the guys doing it. They bail on their dates, lie to their girlfriends and high-five each other while they talk about what a natural high mountain biking is. I’m suddenly wondering if “mountain biking” is code for something else entirely. Todd loves “mountain biking” so much that all his anxieties about Liz start to disappear and he actually brings himself to invite Devon to join the fun. Devon’s much too cool for that and rolls his eyes as he turns Todd down. The guys are all eating at Guido’s one night after a bike trip when someone mentions Liz’s Project Adventure trip. Todd, who thought Liz was just avoiding him, can’t believe she’s out in the woods. He starts to run out the door to “rescue” her, but Aaron talks some sense into him. When Devon finds out what Liz is doing this week, it for some reason depresses him so much that he decides he should just leave town.

Jessica and the other girls are fed up with the boys ditching them every day. They follow them after school one day to the Great Mountain National Reserve and see them all get on their bicycles. By an amazing coincidence, Devon has chosen this day to leave town. He’s packed up his saddlebags and is taking one last ride through town on his motorcycle. He ends up at the Great Mountain National Reserve. Todd sees him and asks again if he wants to join the ride. Bruce has an extra bike, so Devon borrows it and off they go.

Meanwhile, Liz is in the woods on the last evening of her big nature adventure when she sees Todd and Devon fly by on bicycles. She thinks it’s a hallucination because she’s so hungry. Then Jessica, Lila, Amy and white Maria show up and start talking to her. Jessica has to pinch Liz to convince her she’s not having visions. They try to convince her to come with them to the Dairi Burger, but now that Liz has seen Devon and Todd hanging out together, she feels like she can face the night alone. Or something. She goes home the next day feeling all good about herself.

Devon and Todd have agreed they both need to stay away from Liz so she can make up her mind about them. Then both of them decide they need to see her anyway. Before the party on Saturday, Todd goes over to Liz’s and they have a nice chat and agree that no matter what happens, they’ll always be friends. Hooray for them not getting back together! Then Liz freaks out because she forgot to go pick up some deli trays for the party and the deli closes in half an hour. Todd offers to do it and Liz tells him to take the Jeep and she’ll drive his car to the party. Todd and Devon meet in the driveway and yell at each other for a few minutes. Devon starts getting all emo again as he knocks on the door. Liz lets him in, but the phone rings immediately. It’s Jessica, telling Liz the brakes are out on the Jeep and she should take Alice’s station wagon.

Liz freaks out and tells Devon that Todd is in her death trap of a car and she needs to go save him. She starts to get into the station wagon, but Devon convinces her his motorcycle will be faster. Liz agrees. I don’t get it. When you find Todd, where are you going to put him? Furthermore, weren’t you in a motorcycle crash a while back? Whatever. They catch up to Todd just in time to see him crash the Jeep through a guard rail. Now the Jeep is perched precariously on the edge of a cliff. How many times can this really happen to one person?

Devon pulls Todd out of the Jeep just before it goes over the side of the cliff. Bye-bye Jeep. Todd is unconscious, and a nice lady passing by calls an ambulance. Everyone rushes to the hospital. Jessica and her friends go back to the party as soon as they find out Todd’s going to live, but Liz and Devon stay. The nurse says Liz can go in, and she’s so happy he’s not going to die that she almost goes in there and tells him he’s the one she wants to be with. Then, thank goodness, she stops and thinks. She realizes she wants to try being single for a while.

I think Liz and Todd have really broken up this time! Hooray!

Jessica crossed her arms behind her head and sank deeper into the couch. You’re awesome, Jess, she told herself, simply amazing.

Jessica tells herself this after she comes up with the incredible idea of throwing a party. I’m not sure if that actually qualifies her as amazing.

What?” he yelled. “That’s out in the middle of nowhere! She won’t be able to handle it!” He pulled some money out of his pocket and threw it on the table.

“Where are you going?” Bruce demanded.

“To rescue Liz,” Todd shot back, starting for the door.

What a drama queen.

Once the bikes were off the cars, Todd and his group started walking them toward the mountains. Devon hesitated a moment, but he was really curious to see what they were up to.

Um, I think they’re gonna ride bikes.

The Cover: This never happens! Which guy is that supposed to be, anyway?

Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Dee December 23, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I think that may be Todd on the cover…he looks like the second actor that played him on the TV show.

I heart your recaps.

Thank you!

How long was the show on? I’ve only seen a few episodes of the first season.

Dee Reply:

Shockingly, the show lasted four seasons. Many high-quality TV shows didnt even last that long!

I watched SVH on and off if there was really nothing else on. Plus, being a fan of the books, I felt like I had to watch them out of curiousity.

Honestly, I didn’t even know there was a TV show until after I started this blog. I’m not sure how I missed it back in the day.

• Anonymous December 23, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Uh, what is Todd doing with a station wagon? I thought he had a cool car now that he’s rich?

Todd has a BMW. The twins’ mother has a station wagon because that’s what moms drive.

Darren Reply:

Alice Wakefield is so Carol Brady like, driving a station wagon, sheesh! Why not have Ned Wakefield drive Ward Clever’s car next? I liked the newer version, NEd drove an Audi, and Alice an Explorer, I think it was Explorer. They should’ve kept up the version of Sweet Valley. I’m on chapter 38 of my newer Sweet Valley, and one year has past already.

• Lori December 23, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I find it hard to believe Alice drove a station wagon. She’s a Wakefield! How can this be?

Liz and Todd break up? I’m not getting my hopes up.

• Lorelai December 23, 2009 at 8:37 pm

That’s Todd on the cover, looking like Mr. Nineties McDouche. I can’t believe Liz, though. Everything she does in life is wrong.

Also, I find it funny that during their Project Adventure thing, Bruce brought an extra bike. Of all the things he thought he might need two of, it’s a bike, really?

The funniest part to me is that Liz is on this super intense camping trip in the middle of nowhere, but the middle of nowhere is easily accessible by anyone with a bike. Or with feet, considering Jessica and the other girls walk right up to her and start chatting.

• Margo Rising December 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Re: “What? Where is that?”

It is one of the last few pages of “Double Love” — there were two character profiles, one I believe was of Bill Chase and the other was Lila. I sold all my copies but there was something about how her daddy wasn’t actual her pop!

• Darren December 27, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Wow…the first Jeep gets wrecked in the Magna after 94 with Liz/Sam, then the Jeep gets wrecked by Todd (Is that JEep #2 now?) And Finally, Jeep #2 or #3 is wrecked by the Earthquake. For not a rich family ,the Wakefields got their hands full.

megan s. Reply:

they should stop getting Jeeps!

Ha! They do seem to have awfully bad luck with them.

• Sadako December 28, 2009 at 2:09 am

Guido’s? Love the uber stereotypical Italian restaurant.

Also, Happy Holidays, Shannon.

Happy holidays!

• Darren January 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Kind of funny in the Sweet Valley Rewrite, the twins already got a new Jeep. I mean, they drive to school in a Jeep and not the Fiat. Ned drives an Audi, I kid you not. I forgot what they had Alice in. I’m betting Steven’s Volkswagon is one of those red convertibles. Too bad they stopped at book 6, but I bet they had a lot of negative feed back. Kind of sad, I thought the higher R rating setting was great.

Happy Holidays, Shannon. Thanks for a wonderful site to kick back in.
    I ordered and got my Margo series, when you have something good in life, never sell it. Try and find room for it.

Thanks, Darren! I hope you had a great holiday, too!

• Sandy January 21, 2010 at 1:05 pm

[I’m suddenly wondering if “mountain biking” is code for something else entirely. Todd loves “mountain biking” so much that all his anxieties about Liz start to disappear and he actually brings himself to invite Devon to join the fun.]

LMBO!!! Best ever!!!

I swear, I don’t know what they were really doing, but nobody has that much fun just riding bikes.

• Karla January 21, 2010 at 5:12 pm

There’s that big metal bar in the middle…

• Jessica Squits the Quad July 19, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I said it over at Margo Rising and I’ll say it again… I swear there are more car accidents in SVH than there are in Nancy Drew!!

• Sucky Stackhouse November 23, 2011 at 1:23 pm

The important quetion is – do we ever find out if they got those deli platters??!!

• Dane Youssef October 13, 2012 at 1:47 am

I have to give Shannon my total, absolute, unending, undiluted, unmolested respect for pointing out that Liz is the dirty one here. Filthy, even. But the lesson here… despite all the drama she causes (the little Jessica in angel’s clothing) , Todd still comes to her rescue… forever the gallant white-knight in shining, beaming armor.

He’s on what could very-easily be his deathbed for attempting to save his self-righteous, posturing and philandering ex-girlfriend who is a waste of her sister’s skin. She seems to be doing everything possible to usurp the title of “Evil Twin” from Jessica.

But in the end, I think the moral they’re giving is save the one you love… but don’t make the one you love the one you’re with if all they do is bring you hate and frustration. Liz should be on her own for more than a little while. And Todd should be as far away from her as possible.

And as for Devon… well, does Jessica have an evening free?

–For Jessica and Devon (Hopefully), Dane Youssef

• Dane Youssef December 24, 2015 at 6:57 pm

“I think Liz and Todd have really broken up this time! Hooray!”–SHANNON

Sorry, boss. But… no.

Heh! If only…

“This never happens! Which guy is that supposed to be on the Cover, anyway?”–SHANNON

Uh… that’s Todd. Well really, that’s Jeremy Vincent Garrett from the second-half of the run of the TV show…

–Sincerest to Shannon, Dane Youssef