Sweet Valley High #138: What Jessica Wants…

SVH138The Moral of the Story: Sometimes being the hot twin just isn’t enough.

The Big Deal: Party at Bruce’s house

Devon has registered for classes and is starting school at Sweet Valley High. His first class is chemistry, and he’s excited that Liz will be his lab partner. He hasn’t been able to stop thinking about her since he saw her at the football game last week. Even the school blowing up after the game didn’t make him forget about her. Liz doesn’t know that Devon has tested at genius level in chemistry, so she’s surprised and delighted when he starts mixing solutions that match the color of her eyes. Liz thinks he’s so cute and smart and dreamy, she has to keep reminding herself that she already has a super hunky boyfriend.

capture_25112009_222906

For the next few books, the part of Elizabeth Wakefield will be played by Rory Gilmore. Dean Forrester will play Todd.

Jessica has also noticed Devon and has decided he should be her boyfriend. She prances up to him at lunchtime and declares herself his tour guide, but Devon is staring past her at Liz and doesn’t pay much attention. Jessica figures that just means she’ll have to try harder. The next day in chemistry class, Devon writes Liz a message in invisible ink and challenges her to figure out how to reveal it. To nobody’s surprise except Liz’s, the message is a request for a date. Liz actually does the right thing and tells Devon she has a boyfriend. Devon’s not ready to give up, so the next day, he gives Liz a bunch of paper flowers. Liz is flattered and really wishes she could be with Devon, but she’s promised Jessica she would put in a good word for her. However, it’s clear Devon has no interest in Jessica and she’s starting to get pissed.

If you’re wondering where Todd is while all this is going on, he’s preparing a super awesome surprise for Liz to celebrate the one year anniversary of the first time she had an article printed in the Oracle. This surprise involves wacky antics as Todd attempts to make a raspberry truffle cake and gets cake batter all over the kitchen. He has to call Enid for help. He decides he’d better stay home on Friday night to prepare for the big day, so when Liz calls and asks him to hang out, he has to turn her down. Then Devon calls Liz on the other line and asks her if she’ll study with him. Liz accepts. As a friend, of course.

Jessica invites Devon to a party at Bruce’s house Friday night, saying all the best people will be there, strictly A-list. Devon doesn’t care, and instead of going to the party he puts on a fireworks show for Liz at the softball field. Then he tells her she doesn’t belong with Todd anymore, she belongs with him. He tells her he’ll be at the Box Tree Café the next night at eight and he hopes she’ll meet him there.

Jessica comes home from Bruce’s party totally pissed off that Devon never showed and all her friends made fun of her for getting stood up. She asks Liz if she ever got a chance to talk to Devon about her, and for some reason Liz tells Jessica that Devon will be waiting for her the next night at the Box Tree Café. Then she gets all emo about giving up her chance to be with Devon. I totally don’t get what she’s thinking. Jessica is confused when Devon calls her Elizabeth, but she doesn’t want to show it. She starts kissing him and he somehow realizes he has the wrong twin and tells her he’s not interested. Jessica is pissed. She can’t believe Devon would turn her down and she can’t believe Liz would set her up this way. When she gets home, she rubs the date in Liz’s face, telling her it was fabulous.

Jessica is supposed to get Liz to the beach on Monday after school so Todd can surprise her with his ridiculous Oracle anniversary celebration. He’s got food and music and sparkling cider and presents. I think he’s lost his mind, for real. Liz never shows up at Jessica’s locker because she’s so depressed about Devon and doesn’t want to hear Jessica talk about him anymore. She wanders out to the softball field. Devon finds her, and after she apologizes for Saturday night, they start making out. Jessica finds them and is furious. She goes to the beach and tells Todd that Liz is cheating on him with Devon.

gilmore_rory_jess

Jess Mariano will play Devon.

“Next Monday will be the one-year anniversary of the day that Liz had her first article published in the Oracle. I can’t believe she hasn’t said anything to you about it.”

Yeah, Todd. I can’t believe it either…Weirdo.

UGH, Liz, you are not married. You are sixteen. You always have a choice!

What are you even talking about? I really didn’t mind Devon until this little nugget of smug.

The Cover: I hate these photo covers! This scene never happens in the book. What is this?

Tags: , ,

Comments
  • Maggi December 21, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Oh bro-ther. Seriously, just break up already! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

lol

Yep, that’s pretty much how I feel about it.

• Lori December 21, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Breaking up is still an option Liz I know its not as fun as cheating but after a million times of cheating is it even fun anymore?

I love any book where Jessica keeps getting rejected.

Oh, me too! You know, I think throughout the series, it’s possible she gets rejected more times than not. but that’s only because she never gives up and the same guy ends up rejecting her over and over again.

Christine Reply:

I like it when Jessica doesn’t get what (or who) she wants but…

*Why* is Devon so uninterested in her, and so set on Liz? He hasn’t had time to get to know their personalities yet, and fell “in love” with Liz at first sight, right? He doesn’t really *know* her. Well… if it’s all about her looks, and she rejects him, why *not* go after her IDENTICAL TWIN sister? Seems logical to me!

Oh, but he can just tell that Liz is smart and innocent and ambitious and that Jessica only likes him ’cause he’s hot. He’s got a healthy sense of modesty, this guy.

• Sadako December 21, 2009 at 3:30 pm

How has this kid not been bitch slapped by raging apes?

Ha! I would love to see that.

• megan s. December 21, 2009 at 3:36 pm

awww poor Dean being Todd. haha.

Jess as Devon is awesome tho lol

I just finished re reading these 🙂

Ha ha, I know Dean is way cooler than Todd, but he sort of fits with his clean cut style.

Christine Reply:

I caught a few episodes with Jess…I wanted Rory to dump Dean for him. 🙂 (This might be because I was greatly offended by Dean’s boredom at/urging Rory to leave a booksale that one time. Unforgivable! Also because Dean was dull and Rory/Jess had more chemistry.)

Jess was cooler than Devon though…he wouldn’t make with the dorky romantic gestures like….paper flowers. Now I’m picturing Devon giving Liz paper flowers and cooing, “Paper, so they won’t die. Just like my love for you, babe.” 😉

I also liked Jess a lot. Until they actually started going out, ha.

I think that is totally something Devon would say. Gross.

• HelenB December 21, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Dean seems kind of awful, actually. There’s nothing romantic about going after a girl who’s in a relationship! But ugh, the twins are fighting over a guy, again, how boring.

You mean Devon? Yeah, he seemed okay at first, but he’s really just kind of a douche.

HelenB Reply:

Yeah, Devon. Oops!

Darren Reply:

Wait until the Earthquake chapter, then you’ll see that Devon is such a douche, you’d almost want John Pfeiffer to raise from the dead.

• Darren December 22, 2009 at 1:29 am

Devon likes Liz, Jessica likes Devon, uh oh, it’s WAR OF THE ROSES, Sweet Valley style! It’s just like when Nicholas Morrow liked Elizabeth in book 14 and Jessica liked Nicholas! Wait until the Earthquake strikes and Devon stars in his own role as ‘ANTI HERO’.

• Lorelai December 22, 2009 at 8:24 am

Devon gives up going to awesome Bruce’s party so he can put on a fireworks show for Elizabeth? Seriously, Devon, it’s Bruce Patman. You can woo Elizabeth away from Todd any day.

And as a Jess Mariano fan, I resent him being compared to Devon. Devon is a little bitch.

Ha ha, sorry. It’s more a jab at Rory than at Jess. Even though I love her, she does act an awful lot like an Elizabeth Wakefield for a minute there.

• Erin December 22, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Doesn’t it seem like Todd remembers way too many anniversaries? In one of Elizabeth’s secret diaries, he gives her a necklace to celebrate the anniversary of the first time Elizabeth told him she loved him. I wonder if he remembers the anniversary of the first time Saint Liz ever cheated on him. Those are the ones I’d be reminding her of.

I wonder that, too. I also wonder if he remembers the anniversary of the first time he fooled around with his saintly girlfriend’s identical twin.

• Erin December 23, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Seriously!

• purplepoint February 18, 2010 at 12:19 am

great idea for rory and dean to play liz and todd! i love dean and rory! i hate jess!

Ha, thanks. I’m Team Logan, myself.

• Dane Youssef January 21, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Ah, sigh… Such soap-opera drama…

They keep cheating on one another for the sake of drama… If they were faithful to one another, there wouldn’t be as much spice to this thing, would there?

But hey, as long as there’s interest… As long as they all still put on a good show. Remember, there’s a reason for all this–they’re not REALLY people. They’re puppets, characters putting on theatre. Like professional wrestling.

And as long as Todd keeps cheating back–and so does Jessica, the “evil” twin.

–Gratitude For Shannon For Putting All This Up, Dane Youssef

• Nikki January 30, 2013 at 10:13 am

• Dane Youssef December 4, 2014 at 7:28 pm

“I could easily use you, Jessica, and then throw you away,” [Devon] said bitterly. He gave his words a moment to sink in. “But that’s not the way I work.” –Devon to Jessica

“Why the hell is Jessica chasing a man who would talk to her or treat her that way? The females in these books have serious self esteem issues.” –Nikki

…Mmmm… sounds to me perfectly like Jessica’s type… sadly.

–Sincere As Always, Dane Youssef

• Alex Kennedy July 10, 2016 at 6:01 am

Devon was making a solution to match Liz’s eyes. Really???

• Alex Kennedy February 5, 2017 at 9:30 am

Jessica is so jealous and evil that it is unbelievable.

• Dane Youssef May 7, 2017 at 8:14 pm

“Liz doesn’t know that Devon has tested at genius level in chemistry, so she’s surprised and delighted when he starts mixing solutions that match the color of her eyes.” Shannon Plot Recap

Wow… I just… I don’t have any… words for this. Hmmm… I’m actually speechless.. Huh. Wow, that’s a neat trick in and of itself…

What. A. Dork.

I’m not sure who deserves Devon more–Liz or Jess…

“She had given up her chance to be with Devon, the most exciting and wonderful guy she had ever met. But she had no other choice, did she?”

Oh come on, she’s obviously just going to cheat again. Let’s actually count down the seconds until…

–All My Love, DANE R. YOUSSEF