Sweet Valley High #136: Too Hot to Handle

SVH136Read part one of this miniseries here.

The Moral of the Story: Having bad taste in guys will get you arrested.

The Big Deal: Another big fire

Jessica is totally disgusted about Lila and Steve (who wouldn’t be?). Liz drags her upstairs before she can make a scene, so Jessica doesn’t see Lila until the next morning. She tries to convince her friend that Steve is all wrong for her because he’s a “burgers-and-baseball kind of guy.” Lila doesn’t care. Jessica tells her she’s just going to take a little break from their friendship until this whole Steve situation blows over. Damn, that’s cold.

Steve’s boss is ridiculous and won’t even consider the possibility that Lila didn’t start the fire. Steve mentions investigating former employees at Fowler Crest, but the boss won’t allow it. He says they’ve already found their arsonist. This guy is the worst D.A. ever. He’s insistent that Steve remain close to Lila. I don’t understand if he’s hoping Steve will get a confession or what. I don’t think Steve gets it either, as he spends a lot of time blinking in a confused way. Depending on the time of day and who he’s talking to, Steve is alternately sure Lila isn’t the arsonist and worried she might be. I hate Steven so much.

Steve asks Lila about any enemies she has, and she tells him about John Pfeifer. Steve decides John is the arsonist and he gets Liz to let him into the Oracle office to search John’s desk. He finds a document that looks like it went through the printer all slanted, and it looks like it came from the same printer as a mysterious web printout Steve received at work one day. The printout Steve got was a list of traits of an arsonist, most of which applied to Lila. Steve thinks he’s onto something, and just then John comes in, demanding to know why Steve and Liz are going through his shit. He and Steve exchange words, and Steve basically tells him he thinks John set the fire.

That night, Liz tells Jessica what happened, but now she’s somehow got it into her head that Lila might really be responsible for everything. She even goes so far as to wonder if Lila lied about John trying to rape her. What a bitch. Jessica says Lila can’t possibly be the one who set the fire because she loves Fowler Crest and she loves her clothes and wouldn’t want to get gasoline on them.

Steve’s boss is totally unimpressed with his theory about John Pfeifer and is still convinced Lila’s the only person in the world who could have possibly started the fire. Steve takes Lila out for dinner and has to break the news to her that she’s still the number one suspect. She doesn’t take it too well and gets kind of snippy. She gets up to use the bathroom, and while she’s gone, someone throws something through the restaurant’s window and a fire starts. Steve and Lila find each other in the ensuing chaos. When they get outside, there are some police officers hanging around Lila’s car. They place Lila under arrest because they found all the makings of a homemade bomb in the Triumph.

Devon Whitelaw has some adventures with his uncle Pete in Las Vegas, but decides to move on when he discovers Pete is a thief. I skimmed most of his story because I so don’t care, but his story accounted for most of this book. Hence the sort of short recap. Sorry about that.

“Looking up information on the computer?” [Steve] repeated, bells going off in his head. “You mean like surfing the Net?” The printout on arsonists that someone had mysteriously left on his desk had been downloaded from a Web page.

I still can’t get over early internet and computer descriptions.

“Remember back in middle school, when Lila went on a shoplifting spree to get back at her father?”

Actually, that was just “months ago.” SVT scholars, did she do this in middle school as well?

The Cover: Um, I guess that’s Devon? He’s not even in Sweet Valley yet. Is it really time for him to have his very own book cover?

Tags:

Comments
  • Lindsay December 16, 2009 at 11:10 am

She even goes so far as to wonder if Lila lied about John trying to rape her

Fuck you, Elizabeth Mildred Wakefield.

That’s my girl Lila!

And why would John be Lila’s enemy? Was he punished in any sort of way for the crime he committed? No. And to that, I also say “Fuck you, John”.

Why were the police looking at Lila’s car?! Those bastards better have had a warrant. Everyone within the criminal justice system in Sweet Valley are idiots.

And, yeah, really, what’s up with that cover?

Oh, but poor John was made an outcast by Lila’s accusations! Poor, poor John. Bastard.

Lindsay Reply:

Oh, that’s right! Pfft, what was I thinking!

I hate Francine Pascal.

• Lila Fowler December 16, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I can’t believe I wasn’t on this cover. Clearly I’m the one being described as “too hot to handle”. Pshh.

Lila, I’m offended on your behalf. Who is this Devon guy, anyway? He’s not nearly as important as you are.

Lindsay Reply:

Agreed. I don’t know why you don’t have your own series. You’re the only one we want to read about

Christine Reply:

Took the writers long enough to realize we don’t care how many psychos go after the twins. But when Lila’s in trouble… eh, they probably never realized her popularity with readers. It was just her turn on the Sweet Valley soap opera wheel.

What with the long build-up before he gets to Sweet Valley, and the early cover shot, they must’ve thought Devon would be this cool rebel break-out character. Look at him all brooding with the leather and the perfect curl in his hair. So dreamy. 😛

Lila really is the most popular character. I can tell because every time the book is about her, my blog views go through the roof.

Yeah, they really wanted us to like Devon, I think. But it’s funny because they introduced him the same way they introduced Margo. He’s a totally new character coming to Sweet Valley from the east coast and we learn all about him before he ever meets our main characters.

Karla Reply:

Lila, are you also too cold to hold? Should we call the Ghostbusters ’cause they’re in control?

Oh god, I’m Winston Forking Egbert all of a sudden.

Ha! I had that song in my head the whole time I was reading this book!

Karla Reply:

Oh, the pain! Yep, you really are a stronger person now.

Sandy Reply:

I love that song! lol

Karla Reply:

me too!

• Amanda December 16, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Devon gets a coverBEFORE he even gets to SV but Lila had to wait until I think number 19? What the hell Francine??

Christine Reply:

Yeah! It’s no wonder Devon didn’t catch on like the writers obviously expected. Nobody wants to be force-fed a favorite. You can tell when a character is a writer’s pet, and it’s really annoying.

• Lori December 16, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Maybe she made up the rape? Are you kidding me? DIE BITCH

I love Jessica’s reasons why Lila didn’t set the fire that’s exactly why she wouldn’t. I’m blocking out Lila dating Steven.

I really want to punch Liz in the face repeatedly for saying that.

• HelenB December 16, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Personally I think Lila and Steven are a good match – she has enough personality for both of them! Also, with her money it doesn’t matter that he’s going to fail out of college because he’s never actually there.

Yeah, come to think of it, Lila needs a man who just fades into the background and does whatever she wants. And you’re right, he is going to need a sugar mama.

• Nat December 16, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Don’t remember Lila actually shoplifting in her younger years, to get back at her father. She did run up massive bills on his credit cards, as revenge for him never paying attention to her, though.

• Darren December 17, 2009 at 12:53 am

There should’ve been a Ranger Walker in there beating the crap out of John.

• Lorelai December 17, 2009 at 5:11 am

Dear Devon,
    Please die. (John Pfeifer, if you’re reading this, you may also want to die. Soon. By exploding, perhaps.)
    Love, everyone.

Also, there is no SVT book (that I know of!) where Lila shoplifts. There was one where she goes on a spending spree to get back at her father, but other than that, LiFo’s mall activities are all above board until junior year.

I will totally sign that letter.

• Krista November 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm

“Steve mentions investigating former employees at Fowler Crest, but the boss won’t allow it. ”

Which would totally get the case thrown out. He really is the worst DA.

There is also a shocking lack of search warrants.