Sweet Valley High Super Edition #8: Jessica Takes Manhattan

SVHSE08 - OuterThe Moral of the Story: If you pretend to be a princess, you’ll get kidnapped for ransom money.

The Big Deal: New York City! Woohoo!

There’s been an earthquake in Sweet Valley (don’t worry, no refrigerators have fallen on anyone) and the school is going to be closed for a week while the roof is repaired. Lila will be spending the week in New York City and she’s invited Jessica to come along. Lila somehow misses the flight, so Jessica goes alone. She ends up sitting next to Ryder Mitchell, a teen rock star. During the course of the plane ride, Ryder and Jessica fall in love. Of course they do. The plane has to land in New Orleans because of some sort of mechanical difficulties, and Jessica and Ryder go out on the town. Ryder tells Jessica his manager is making him go to New York to announce his engagement to Deirdra La Monde, some other teen sensation. Ryder has only met the chick once and doesn’t even hardly like her, and now that he’s met Jessica he’s decided to call the whole thing off. When they get to New York, Ryder tells Jessica to give him a couple days to let things blow over, and he’ll meet her on Valentine’s Day at the top of the Empire State Building.

Because of Jessica’s plane troubles, Lila gets to the Plaza Hotel first. When she walks in, she’s a little surprised to have a bunch of photographers take her picture, but she really doesn’t think anything of it and chalks it up to people knowing how important she really is. Man, I love Lila, ego and all. The hotel staff keeps calling her “princess” and they give her the penthouse suite. She thinks this is all just as it should be, but she can’t figure out why the desk staff can’t get her messages right. She goes to the hotel restaurant to have dinner and is shocked to see Bo there. He flew in to New York to surprise her, but he’s upset that she blew him off that morning. Lila has no idea what he’s talking about until the next morning when she goes downstairs to the lobby and sees Bo being threatened by a bunch of bodyguards. The bodyguards are surrounding a girl who looks just like Lila. Lila looks at a newspaper and sees a picture of herself arriving at the hotel, but the article is about Princess Charlotte from some nonsense country.

When Jessica arrives, she, Lila and Bo take full advantage of the mix-up. They get excellent treatment everywhere they go. Meanwhile, the real Princess is also taking advantage of this opportunity to hang out in New York without anybody bothering her. She meets a guy named Allan and they work at a soup kitchen together. Hmm, she sounds an awful lot like Princess Eliana. All princesses really have hearts of gold and all they really want is to work in soup kitchens.

On Valentine’s Day, Jessica and Lila spend all day getting ready for their dates and then hop into a cab. The cab is unfortunately being driven by a couple of bad guys who think they’ve kidnapped Princess Charlotte. Bo knows something is wrong when Lila doesn’t show for their date, but the police just think he’s been stood up. Bo, rich as he is, decides to call a television station and buy some ad time. Ryder is in his hotel room feeling sorry for himself when he sees Jessica’s face on TV. He learns that she’s missing and calls the number on the television. Bo tells him to come on over to his hotel room.

The bad guys, Vincent and Mr. G, finally figure out they fucked up and Lila’s not really a princess. They’re all set to kill the girls when Lila tells them she’s the daughter of a wealthy man. The bad guys can’t get a hold of Mr. or Mrs. Fowler, so they think Lila’s lying. Lila tells them about Bo and says he’d pay anything to get her and Jessica back. So they call Bo’s hotel room and tell him to bring a million dollars to Yankee stadium.

Jessica and Lila manage to get themselves untied and then lock the kidnappers in the room. They escape the stadium in the bad guys’ cab, and just miss Bo and Ryder coming in. The boys find the room the kidnappers are locked in, go inside and get clubbed over the head and locked in. Ugh, this is annoying. Jessica and Lila, instead of calling the police, go back to their hotel. Bo isn’t in his room and they run around searching for him. Lila runs into Princess Charlotte. The princess, grateful to Lila for inadvertently giving her a few days of freedom, listens to the girls’ story about their kidnapping and how they now think their boyfriends are being held prisoner. Charlotte sends her very own bodyguards to the stadium and they burst into the storage room just as Vincent and Mr. G are about to kill Ryder and Bo.

A day or two later, Ryder puts on a spontaneous concert at the Empire State Building. Jessica gets to kiss him on stage. It’s all very exciting.

The moment Lila stepped onto the red carpet in front of the hotel, the cameras of dozens of paparazzi started flashing…Lila tossed back her brown hair and waved regally, gracing the photographers with a dazzling smile. This is the kind of welcome I deserve! she thought.

I absolutely love that this is Lila’s reaction to unexpected paparazzi.

The Cover: What a boring cover, especially the inside. I don’t see any reason this one had to be a stepback.

SVHSE08 - Inner

Tags: , , ,

Comments
  • DarfurHerald November 25, 2009 at 12:33 pm

This was the first SVH book I ever read. I thought the Jessica/Ryder plot was lame but I thought the whole kidnapping thing was totally thrilling and awesome *hide*

Aw, don’t hide! You’re not alone here, I promise.

• Sadako November 25, 2009 at 3:16 pm

These people encountered about 65% more royalty than I did as a kid. Just saying. 😀

Only 65%? You must have met a lot more royalty than I did, ha.
    But seriously, every time they leave Sweet Valley, they meet royalty. What’s up with that?

• Maggi November 25, 2009 at 4:42 pm

You’re right, the inside of that cover is a total waste. What’s up with all that blank sky space? lol

I know! And they’re off center and it’s just stupid.

• Lindsay November 25, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Thank you, Lila, for being you.

• Merrie November 25, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Aside from Lila, what a snooze.

Did I not run into royalty as a child because I grew up in the Midwest? The BSC had a princess, Sweet Valley has had all sorts of princes and princesses. What’s the deal?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am thankful for bloggers who update often.

I am thankful to all my readers! Happy Thanksgiving!

I grew up in the Midwest, too. That probably explains the lack of royalty in our lives.

• Lorelai November 25, 2009 at 10:54 pm

This is one of the first SVH books I ever read, too. I’ve had it for so long, I don’t even remember where I got it from. It was also one of my favourites for a long time. My love affair with Lila begain right here.

Jessica, however, needs to die five painful deaths in a row. I HATE that she just happened to sit next to a rockstar and have him fall in love with her.

For real. She doesn’t deserve to have a rock star boyfriend.

• Kristine November 26, 2009 at 2:45 am

Thanks for the recaps. I already read this one but I forgot about it already. 😛

Yeah, it’s a pretty forgettable book. 😉
    Thanks for reading!

• Lori November 26, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Ah Lila I love you your so awsome

• Katia November 26, 2009 at 5:06 pm

I live in Europe…. lots of royalty and have met none!! Is something wrong with me??

Naw, you’re just suffering from notawakefielditis. Nothing serious.

• Darren November 26, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Tell me where Suzanne Devlin is for crying out loud! I thought Suzanne was in New York how can you NOT put in a reunion with Suzanne Devlin, SHEESH! About as bad as not even remembering in London that Cara Walker lives there! The ghost writers need a better reference!

I feel terrible that you all want Jessica to die. Terrible, all of you! I had Steven down on my wish list for thinking red haired girls look like Tricia Martin! I bet he’d think Trisha stood for Tricia!

• Sandy November 30, 2009 at 10:26 am

Nice recap. Not alot to say. Typical everything. Typical bad guy names, typical romance, typical happy ending.

• Cordee December 7, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Wow. You could tell the ghostwriters were really struggling for ideas by this time. Isn’t this like the tenth rock star Jessica’s fallen in love with? And the third or fourth time someone’s been mistaken for a princess because they look exactly like the real thing? And, yes, where IS Suzanne Devlin? I agree that the cover looks stupid and the Ryder-guy looks like a forty-year-old man – hardly a “teen sensation.”

• Kim January 4, 2016 at 5:25 am

“During the course of the plane ride, Ryder and Jessica fall in love. Of course they do.”

I said it before and I’ll say it again, these people fall in love like they change their draws. “Love” is really strange in Sweet Valley. I’m sure after this book, Jessica never sees or thinks about this guy she “loves” ever again. It’s hard to take it seriously when any of these characters say their in love.