Sweet Valley High #127: Dance of Death

SVH127Read part one of this miniseries here.

The Moral of the Story: Jessica Wakefield always gets her man. Especially if Enid is her competition.

The Big Deal: Party at Jonathan’s creepy mansion

Todd shows up at Liz’s house just in time to see her in Joey’s arms. He gets pissed and gets back in his car. Liz says they can fight later but they have to find Jessica right now. Todd is all, “Fuck off, bitch,” as he drives away. He goes home and rips up his pictures of Liz and decides he’s not going to be Mr. Nice Guy anymore. I really hope this means they’re breaking up for good. Joey and Liz jump in Joey’s car and she explains everything to him on the way to Secca Lake to see if the murder victim is Jessica.

It isn’t. We know this because Jessica is at this moment at Jonathan’s house making out with him. He stops kissing her and tells her to get the hell out “before it’s too late.” Jessica thinks he’s afraid he won’t be able to resist making out with her or something and just keeps flirting. Jonathan finally gives up and closes the front door. He starts making out with Jessica, but then tells her he can’t get involved with her and she’ll have to leave.

Enid is having Jonathan withdrawals. She drives to his house and curses the Wakefields when she sees the twins’ Jeep out front. She looks in the window and sees Jessica and Jonathan kissing. She gets all discouraged until Jessica runs out of the house, crying. Then she goes inside and Jonathan starts making out with her. This guy gets around. He starts sucking on Enid’s neck and that’s the last thing she remembers until she wakes up in the morning in her bed at home.

At school, good old Chrome Dome Cooper holds an assembly and says the girl who was murdered on Saturday night was a cheerleader from Palisades High. Sweet Valley is going to start enforcing a curfew: nobody under the age of eighteen is allowed out after ten o’clock. After the assembly, Jessica tries to tell Amy and Lila about her makeout session with Jonathan. They start giggling and tell her Jonathan gave Enid a hickey the same night. Ha, remember hickeys?

Todd dyes his hair black and joins the goth movement. Actually, all the guys want to look like Jonathan and have all started wearing black. Even Winston is doing it, though he makes a joke out of it all by wearing black tuxedo jackets with brightly colored ties. I’m starting to love Winston a little bit. The guys think the curfew is a total bummer and they decide to liven things up at SVH by getting Jonathan to throw a party. Jonathan says he doesn’t want to do that, but Todd and Bruce start inviting people anyway.

That night, Jonathan is pacing around his house, all upset because of his “hunger.” He wants Jessica, but she’s too important to him and it’s too dangerous. So he calls Enid and asks her to come over. ‘Cause it wouldn’t really matter if he accidentally killed her in a fit of vampire passion. Jessica calls but he tells her he’s sick. She decides to come over with some homemade chicken soup. This girl doesn’t even know how to do laundry, but she can make her own chicken soup. I’m so sure. When she gets there and sees Enid with her wild hair and smudged lipstick, she throws the thermos of soup at Jonathan and leaves. Enid tries to help him clean up the mess, but he gets pissed and tells her to get out. Jonathan is grateful to Jessica because if she hadn’t shown up, he would have hurt Enid. He’s one of those tortured vampires who really doesn’t want to kill anyone. He just can’t help it. A few nights later, Jessica can’t find Jasmine the cat. She goes outside and finds the cat’s dead body. Ewwww.

Liz has been going out with Joey ever since Todd found them together, but she isn’t sure she really likes him anymore. He’s acting all condescending ever since he started college. And he keeps taking Liz around Sweet Valley and showing her places like Miller’s Point and the Dairi Burger as though Liz hasn’t lived here her whole life. At the Dairi Burger, Joey asks Liz if she wants to do something the next night. Liz promised Jessica she’d go with her to Jonathan’s party, but she doesn’t want to bring Joey and flaunt her relationship with him in front of Todd or something so she lies to him and says she’s going to a movie with Jessica. Then, of course, Caroline Pearce comes over and mentions the party and how much Jessica is looking forward to going. Joey gets pissed and leaves Liz at the restaurant.

Jonathan’s party is just awesome. Jessica sneaks upstairs to meet Jonathan. The lights go out while she’s sitting on his bed. He comes in and they start kissing. Liz is downstairs freaking out. She somehow convinces Todd to help her get the lights back on. They go downstairs and mess with the breakers. When the lights come back on, they hear somebody scream upstairs. They run up and find Amy’s visiting cousin (and Todd’s date), Katrina, dead, her blood drained.

Todd turned up the collar of his black leather jacket and swaggered slowly into the cafeteria on Tuesday at lunchtime, imitating Jonathan’s walk. He was wearing black jeans and a black denim shirt with a white T-shirt underneath. His face was unshaven, and he’d dyed his hair black. Todd’s new look gave him a sense of fresh confidence.

UGH.

The Cover: These kids seem to think this party requires formal dress.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments
  • Lindsay November 18, 2009 at 11:15 am

Oh, God. Todd popped his collar? Hahahahahahaha.

That cover is like a bad VC Andrews cover.

Johnathan is an ass. He’s all Oh, it’s cool if I accidentally kill Enid. No, it’s not, Johnathan. Enid has no backbone and I find her annoying and wish she’d go back to her wild, pot smoking ways, but it’s totally not cool to use her as a sippy cup. Jerk.

I know I’ve (and others) have said it before, but I’m so very sorry you have to go through these horrible books. I’m sooo glad I got out when I did.

Megan Reply:

How dare you. 😛

Lindsay Reply:

haha I know, I know 🙂

Lindsay Reply:

I’m sorry!

stephanie Reply:

i know that it is hilarious but TODD just do it for the sake of ELIZABETH !!!!!!!!!!!11

• Megan November 18, 2009 at 11:28 am

I think I love Winston too. That’s a sweet look he’s cultivating. Not like Todd’s. Nothing like Todd’s.

I think I’d like to punch Todd in the face. Purely because of the collar pop.

Lindsay Reply:

And the fact he swaggered into the lunch room.

• Sadako November 18, 2009 at 11:31 am

And here I thought that the first time all the cool kids went Goth was after Twilight!

• Girl talk read November 18, 2009 at 12:45 pm

So Jonathan Cain is SVH’s answer to Bill Compton from True Blood! Or else True Blood got the character of Bill from reading these books????

• Merrie November 18, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Buffy would so kick Jessica’s ass.

Absolutely.

• MARGO RISING November 18, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Absolutely I’ll be your vice prez! And, in true Sweet Valley fashion, I will scheme how to overthrow you!

-MR.

HelenB Reply:

Oooh, are you guys starting a Winston Appreciation Club? Please say yes!

We were really going to start our own Unicorn Club because we figure people would totally join because of the street cred we get from our SVH blogs. I think MR would actually really be down for a Winston Appreciation Club, though.

Lindsay Reply:

OMG a UNICORN CLUB??!!!!!??!!!??!!

You’re in, right?

Lindsay Reply:

Do you even have to ask?! I have to go out and buy something purple!

girltalkread Reply:

I wanna join!!!!!!!!!!

Of course!

Amanda Reply:

OMGWTFBBQAFI! A real Unicorn club??? You are soo cool!

Sandy Reply:

Will there be initiations? Like get a girl to go into the boys bathroom?

Megan Reply:

Ummmm I want in! I wear so much purple I’m practically Prince!

Anyone who can bring the purple is totally in!

• Darren November 18, 2009 at 5:08 pm

I’m a bit confused…why are the boys imitating Jonathan’s look?

Lindsay Reply:

Because they are idiots

Exactly. And because they think Jonathan is just so totally cool and they all want to be just like him. I can’t blame them. If I were Todd, I’d wish I was more like Jonathan, too.

stephanie Reply:

Just so they are going to called COOL guys. they didn’t even think!!!!!!!!

• Darren November 18, 2009 at 8:32 pm

This Jonathan reminds me of the Lois and Clark episode when Tempus wanted to be ‘that darn nice’ guy and ended up as our President very briefly! It’s scary how Jonathan got people to be just like him for he’s cool and all that. Maybe Steven should’ve been just like Jonathan after struggling to meet girls, or finding ones that look like Tricia!

• Lori November 18, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Poor Enid. She finally gets a hot guy to make out with her and he wants to kill her. This is what she got off drugs for?

You notice every time a blond teen girl is found death its always thought to be Jessica at first? The werewolf, Return of Evil Twin and now this one.

Well, they are the most important blondes around, you know. When someone in Sweet Valley says “blonde” everyone immediately thinks of the Wakefields.

stephanie Reply:

i know that. Enid incountered many troubles just so JONATHAN will recognize her. She even change her image and attitude. I am concerned about her!!!!!

• Lorelai November 19, 2009 at 1:30 am

I feel a bit sorry for Todd. The guy can literally do NOTHING to stop his girlfriend cheating, so he thinks, “Hey, maybe if I dress and act like the cool guy at school, someone might notice that I exist.” I think he either needs a hug or a kick in the man parts. I’m not sure which.

I read your blog post about Twilight and thought it was hilarious. Especially the picture of the vampire standoff. Too funny.

• Sandy November 19, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I kind of laughed when you said “I really hope this means they’re breaking up for good.”

True. I don’t know what I was thinking!

• Darren November 19, 2009 at 11:46 pm

DOn’t feel too bad, Shannon. I learn each day if life was simple, it would be boring without complications. That includes a Sweet valley tale where there’s no such thing as Liz and Todd riding off in the sunset. No, they got to have some kind of confusing fight, break up, then get back together for no reason. That’s life, Shannon. We need complications, even though we hate them. For me, life at work couldn’t be anymore complicated then it already was. Just when I thought everything could happen, something else came along to further screw my day. Thankfully I can rest my weary body for 2 days.

• Karla January 13, 2010 at 7:59 pm

This book makes me think of the South Park ep where all the preppies see “Twilight” and turn Goth and Butters burns down Hot Topic. Oh, and vampires aren’t real.

• Rachel June 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I think he’s Stefan Salvatore from the Vampire Diaries (which I think would have also come out around about the same time, maybe?)

Sucky Stackhouse Reply:

Actually, Vamp Diaries came out in ’91 or ’92. So I think that series was before this one. Yeah, I’m a year and a half behind, but at least I’m here!

• stephanie August 10, 2010 at 12:38 am

• stephanie August 10, 2010 at 12:45 am

i think so too!!!!!!! hope that TODD will make a plan to get over the arguement he and ELIZABETH incountered

• bia_lee August 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I am in utter shock that jessica and jonathan didn’t have sex. I mean really the way it was described I really wish jessica wouldn’t have at least given him an h/b job.

• Dane Youssef September 10, 2013 at 10:45 pm

“Todd dyes his hair black and joins the goth movement. Actually, all the guys want to look like Jonathan and have all started wearing black. Even Winston is doing it, though he makes a joke out of it all by wearing black tuxedo jackets with brightly colored ties. I’m starting to love Winston a little bit.” –Shannon

Yeah, we all did. We never really could totally hate one Winston Egbert… no matter what. Even in S.V.C. We just couldn’t help but crack a smile.

Yeah, we love you Eg-beater.

Let’s hope they bring you back somehow.

–Sincere As Always, Dane Youssef

• Krista November 3, 2013 at 11:49 am

“He’s acting all condescending ever since he started college”

I thought his condescending jackassery was what made Liz like him in the first place.

• Lila of the Valley July 21, 2014 at 12:36 am

This cover totally reminds me of Christopher Pike’s Final Friends covers:

• Shannon July 27, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I always thought the same thing! I loved Christopher Pike.

• hippiegeekgirl February 29, 2016 at 9:37 am

Totally dating myself… wasn’t Jonathan Cain the keyboardist for Journey back in the day. Ba ha ha.

• Dane Youssef August 23, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Hey, the scumbag cheats himself–usually with his girlfriend’s identical twin sister. And it’s not like he can’t really tell them apart. Or he and his girlfriend’s twin sister like each other, can stand each other or even get along. And as for his “new look,” well… he’s just a jackass like everyone else in that God-forsaken town…

–Sincere As Always, DANE R. YOUSSEF

• Natasha February 18, 2017 at 1:06 am

I so hate this mini series! Every character in this book act like such idiots! Esp Jess and Enid.

• Natasha February 18, 2017 at 2:04 am

It really annoyed me why must Liz think every dead girl was her sister? She was becoming hysterical in every book. And didn’t she see what Jess wore to the party?

• Dane Youssef May 11, 2017 at 1:13 pm

“i love to see Todd being jelous sometimes…… i know that he feels a true love for ELIZABETH” –Stephanie

There’s a very fine line love between love and raging stupidity. And Todd doesn’t even cross it, he’s on the other side.

“Buffy would so kick Jessica’s ass.” –Merrie

WHEN?!?

“I feel a bit sorry for Todd. The guy can literally do NOTHING to stop his girlfriend cheating, so he thinks, ‘Hey, maybe if I dress and act like the cool guy at school, someone might notice that I exist.’ I think he either needs a hug or a kick in the man parts. I’m not sure which.” –Lorelei

Give him both, honey. Right now. For all of us. Then just give that kick in the “man parts” for his embarrassment of a girlfriend.

“Ps I totally watched the first Twilight movie a couple of days ago. It was actually pretty shit.” –Lorelei

Compare it to all of this…

“I kind of laughed when you said, ‘I really hope this means they’re breaking up for good.’ Now Shannon, you know this will NEVER happen. Unhealthy relationships make up 30% of the stories!” –Sandy

Just 30% Babe, check your research again!

–Sincere As Always, DANE R. YOUSSEF