Sweet Valley High Magna Edition: Elizabeth’s Secret Diary, Volume 2

Diary - Elizabeth02-OuterSynopsis:

Liz is looking forward to her anniversary with Todd (which anniversary? Tenth? Fiftieth?), but Todd ruins everything when he says his friend Michelle Thomas is coming for a visit from Vermont. This is the same Michelle Thomas Liz got jealous of in the last diary. Liz stops speaking to Todd and won’t answer his calls. She invites Enid over for some Project C.C. Cookie and actually starts to feel better. Then Todd comes over. With Michelle. Liz gets upset and says a few mean things, and Todd and Michelle leave. Then Enid tells Liz she was wrong to be so rude. Liz decides to bring Todd and Michelle some cookies as a peace offering, but finds them making out by the Wilkins’ pool. Liz runs home to read through her old diaries:

Liz recaps #58: Brokenhearted, in which Todd moves back from Vermont and they get back together. We get to relive the boredom of Liz and Todd breaking up again in #59: In Love Again, and laugh when she tries to go back to Jeffrey and he doesn’t want her. Then there’s the briefest mention of Ken’s accident as Liz recaps #60: That Fatal Night. And since the theme of this diary is “I Miss Jeffrey,” there’s a bit about how much she misses Jeffrey.

Blah, blah, Liz tells us about Patty Gilbert’s problems in #61: Boy Trouble. Then Liz gets her hair permed and Jeffrey is the only one who understands why in #62: Who’s Who? Then she starts surfing and Todd breaks up with her and Jeffrey comforts her in #63: The New Elizabeth. Then we hear about how worried she is about Steven’s sanity and her parents’ fighting in #64: The Ghost of Tricia Martin.

Liz’s parents are still fighting in #65: Trouble at Home. Liz can’t seem to talk to Todd about it, but Jeffrey is a really good listener. Which brings us to #66: Who’s to Blame, in which Liz goes to Jeffrey to talk and ends up kissing him. At some point during #67: The Parent Plot, Jeffrey climbs the trellis under Liz’s window and sneaks into her bedroom. They make out for a while, then Todd starts throwing pebbles at the window. Liz shoves Jeffrey in the closet and makes out with Todd. When Todd leaves, Jeffrey jumps out of the closet all pissed off like he didn’t know Liz had a boyfriend. Liz and Todd break up again in #68: The Love Bet. But of course they get back together. Liz crusades against racism in #69: Friend Against Friend. After Claire Middleton brings out Liz’s inner feminist and makes the football team in #70: Ms. Quarterback, everyone goes to the Dairi Burger and Liz sees Jeffrey with a date. She’s super happy he’s moved on.

Back in the present, Liz realizes Todd just made a mistake kissing Michelle, just like Liz made a mistake kissing Jeffrey. They make up and life goes on.

The Cover: Boring. Don’t care. We’ve seen all this before.

Diary - Elizabeth02-Inner

Tags: , , ,

Comments
  • Sandy November 12, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I don’t remember her making out with Jeff, then hiding him in the closet to make out with Todd???

Wow, I’m in awe how much action this girl sees.

Me neither! I guess I must have skipped that chapter.

sacha Reply:

I think they just made that up for this book. She didn’t start cheating on him all the time until they changed the format.

• Darren November 12, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Michelle Thomas? Sounds like a character from Family Matters, the girlfriend to Steve Urkel (though probably had a different name). What about using Suzanne Devlin? These ghost writers are IDIOTS! Suzanne Devlin can come into town and there’s still a little bit of hostility, even though the Xmas supposedly fixed everything. I liked the SV 66, poor Lizzie runnin away from home. Too bad she came back after running off to Enid’s. Should’ve had her going to Texas or Michigan!

• Sadako November 12, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I thought Liz was mean to be the goody goody. For a goody good, she sure um…sluts around a lot. How is Jessica worse? Because she just slutted it up more and was shallow and liked fashion?

megan s. Reply:

and jessica usually broke up with her boyfriends first. except for when she was with ken.

Liz keeps up her goody-goody appearance because she always has a steady boyfriend. People conveniently forget how much she cheats on said boyfriend.

Oh, and she always feels just terrible after she cheats. That’s another way to tell she’s a “good” person.

• Sadako November 12, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Oh, well, as long as you feel bad, then all is good.

• Lori November 12, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I’m not sure I can fault her for making out with Jeffrey I always prefered him to Todd. Jeffrey had personality, interests and a life unlike Todd who was so boring and got dumber with each book. Why did she break up with Jeffrey again?

Darren Reply:

Well, Lori, I think it was because Todd came back and Liz’s feelings resurfaced for him and she felt that she couldn’t be good company to Jeffrey. I think that’s kind of lame though to break up to get back with Todd. Then Jeffrey vanishes as if he was never in sweet Valley, just missed the part of Liz waking up in bed and Todd’s in the shower, and Liz tells about the dreams she had!

I always liked Jeffrey better, too. She never should have broken up with him.

• Fear Street November 12, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Why even bother publishing this one? Who wants to relive it all?!

Seriously.

Sandy Reply:

This was the best comment ever!

• Lorelai November 12, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Isn’t Elizabeth the least bit concerned that all the pictures of her on the inside cover of her secret diary look nothing like she apparently does now? 🙂

Ha! I know that would freak me right out.

sacha Reply:

She looks horrible on the cover. They should of stuck with the same artist from the beginning of the series.

• Tracy London November 12, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Ugh..that picture of Liz wiping away a tear, while looking out of the corner of her eyes like “omg, someone please notice i am heartbroken” makes me want to punch a baby.

• Tracy London November 12, 2009 at 10:41 pm

…jsyk, i do not really punch babies, i promise.

Oh, you have no idea how much that cracked me up. My friends and I are always saying we’re going to punch babies for one reason or another…God, we sound like terrible people. I promise we don’t actually punch babies, either.

• Darren November 13, 2009 at 1:19 am

I miss the picture of Ken…that was funny how they like turned Ken around. I thought Ken was stuck in a mirror or something!

Shannon, out of curiosity, did Elizabeth and Jessica ever write in their diaries about the Jungle Prom and Margo? I know they like put 3 volumes out if I remember right?

Liz’s third diary covers books 71-82 and Jessica’s covers books 83-94. They never quite make it to the Jungle Prom.

• Keri November 13, 2009 at 1:35 am

A story about Liz = the worst story ever.

I know. It’s even worse than Bruce’s Story. At least I was able to skim most of it because it was all shit I’d already read.

• Jenn November 13, 2009 at 2:35 am

Uh so basically it’s a recap of 50 other books, with a few random new things tossed in? I’m starting to realize why I haven’t come across the secret diaries…most were burned in protest by former owners 🙂

Ha ha, I wouldn’t be surprised! I know I felt like burning mine.

• Megan November 13, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Jeffrey looks like a grown-up Precious Moments.

Ha! You are so right!

• Darren November 13, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I’m going to buy all the diary editions…but I got to pay the morgage to my dentist, ouch. Hope the job comes thru for me for some extra kick backs in hours for the holiday.

• Bailey November 27, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Didnt Todd come in her window and they made up in her old diary? Is this the same night that Jeffery came over?
    I know I organize my diaries by who they’re about

• Dane Youssef October 13, 2012 at 3:25 am

It’s a soap opera. They’re all cheating on one another. And it says deafening volumes that although Liz was always fooling around, she would always come back to Todd–even when he was tom-catting.

OK, all it really says is this was a soap. But I liked the diaries immensely. They were some of the best-written the series ever had to offer. I especially enjoyed the “Jessica Diaries” as there we saw there were inevitable depth in her shallowness. Maybe she was always more evil than shallow.

But seeing what really goes on in the head and soul of our heroine, our she-ro. That’s really kind of cool. That’s what makes these the “Sweet Valley” tomes to read and engage. More than any of the others. Even the early ones before the franchise really, reallllly took something of a death spiral. This serial didn’t just jump the shark–it leaped head-first in the shark’s jaws.

Seriously, read all the diaries. Those were the ones that were the ones that border-lined on distinguished respectable literature. If there were any really worth going out of your way to read and own…

–Still Reading The Girl’s Diaries, Dane Youssef

• Dane Youssef January 31, 2013 at 4:40 am

I imagine the stuff Todd was doing with Michelle Thomas was revenge for what Todd was doing with that boy from camp in the earlier book series. She said, He said. She cheats, He cheats.

That’s Liz and Todd to a “T.”

They deserve each other… and no, that’s not a compliment–in case you weren’t sure.

–Starting To Despise These Two, Dane Youssef