Sweet Valley High #124: Meet Me at Midnight

SVH124Read part one of this miniseries here.

The Moral of the Story: Summer camp sucks unless you can fall in love and/or cheat on your boyfriend.

The Big Deal: Big play at the summer camp

Todd has apparently not noticed that Liz was holding another guy’s hand and gives her a great big hug. I guess he has a break from basketball camp and is going to stay in Winston’s cabin as a visitor because he’s so co-dependent he can’t even let his girlfriend go to summer camp for a month. Liz is not pleased. She wishes Todd would go home and acts like she’s totally bored with him.

Jessica gets the lead in the play and she’s all happy until she gets a letter from Paul. He doesn’t want her to try to see him again because he doesn’t like dumb blondes. Jessica is pissed and totally determined to make him fall in love with her. What? Guy’s an ass who made out with you and then called you stupid. Forget about him. But no. She cooks up a scheme with Tanya, Paul’s sister, and manages to get him alone so they can talk. She’s found out he dated a camp counselor last summer and she hurt him really bad so now he doesn’t want anything to do with the camp or its counselors. What a drama queen. Jessica tells him she knows everything and calls him a coward. He says he’ll see her, just to prove he’s not afraid of women.

Winston is getting letters from his girlfriend, white Maria, who is staying at her grandmother’s ranch. She keeps talking about some cowboy named Hank. Winston gets jealous and tells Aaron and Todd all about it. They get Winston some cowboy boots and sign him up for horseback riding lessons, figuring that if Maria wants a cowboy, Winston will be the best damned cowboy on the planet. Who wants to bet that Hank is some old man Maria has no interest in whatsoever? Some fifteen-year-old camper named Lara starts flirting with Winston and he tells her his concerns about Maria. He acts like they’re already broken up and lets Lara make out with him a little. Well, hell. If you can’t trust Winston, who the fuck can you trust? Then one day Winston gets a letter and a picture of Maria and Hank. To my complete and utter shock, Hank turns out to be an old man Maria has no interest in whatsoever.

Joey gets Liz alone and tells her he’s seen her with Todd and can tell she’s not in love with him. He wants her to break things off with him, and Liz says she will. Todd’s leaving the next morning, and Liz wakes up early to say goodbye and break his heart. Of course she can’t do it. She knows it’s the right thing to do, but you know how much Liz loves cheating. She figures she’ll just keep her summer fling a secret from Todd. But then Nicole, that bitch, tells Liz to break things off with Joey or she’ll write Todd a letter and tell him everything. Liz does as she’s told and is heartbroken when Joey immediately starts hanging all over Nicole. Jerk.

Jessica steals the camp owner’s car so she can sneak into town and visit Paul at his family’s restaurant. She ends up flipping burgers and closing the kitchen down with him. She doesn’t get back to camp until after two in the morning. She plans to meet him again the next night, but Lacey, the camp owner, finds out Jessica took her car and is furious. She’s watching Jessica like a hawk, so Jessica can’t see Paul. She writes him a letter telling him she has to cancel their plans for the day and invites him to see the play on Wednesday. For some reason she thinks her letter will get there that day and she’s shocked when two days go by and she hasn’t heard from him. The day of the play, she takes a bike and rides to the restaurant, but a cook there says it’s Paul’s day off. He gives her a ride to Paul’s house and she ends up missing the play. She and Paul go outside and fall asleep under the stars.

Liz pretends to be Jessica and stars in the play. When it’s over, Joey comes up to her and gives her a great big old kiss. Liz is sad because she thinks that he thinks she’s Jessica, but he says he knew it was her all along. Yeah, right. So now I guess they’re flinging it again.

Jessica let out her breath in a rush. She couldn’t believe it. She had really done it. She had landed the lead role in the summer production.

Yeah, I bet she feels really good, having beaten all the twelve- and thirteen-year-olds who tried out.

The Cover: I don’t know who anyone on this cover is supposed to be. I can’t tell which twin is which. That guy in the canoe is making a face that makes me wonder where his other hand is.

Tags: , ,

Comments
  • Sadako November 10, 2009 at 11:50 am

Is it just me or were there about a thousand Marias in this series?!

Sandy Reply:

Yeah, and all Maria’s are not Hispanic. So I’m really confused…

Yeah, none of them are Hispanic. One’s black and the other is possibly Italian. What the hell?

Darren Reply:

Now I’m confused with this Hank for the only Hank I know is Henry Patman. How can they call the cowboy Hank? Unless the ghost writer read the Patmans of Sweet Valley and saw the picture of one Patman as a cowboy.

There are already at least two Marias. You don’t think there can be another Hank?

• Sandy November 10, 2009 at 11:52 am

“If you can’t trust Winston, who the fuck can you trust?”
    So true.
    Sweet Valley logic: Well if they can’t see me cheating then it’s not cheating.

I can’t tell you how much it broke my heart that Winston made out with some other chick. It’s messing with my whole world view.

Sandy Reply:

Never forget the mantra:
    “It’s only a book, its only a book, it’s only a book”
    This has helped me everytime there’s a continuity error, or the wrong kid dies, and now Winston cheats.

• HelenB November 10, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Oh, Winston 😀

I’m pretending the bit where he makes out with someone else didn’t happen, BTW.

You know, I think that’s the best way to handle this. Just pretend it never happened.

• julie November 10, 2009 at 7:07 pm

haha this is awesome! just found this blog from modcloth! i used to looove sweet valley!

Thanks, I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

• Children of the 90s November 10, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Your post is up!!! 🙂

Ha ha, it’s great! I hope I’m not the only one sending in pictures…

Kate Reply:

It’s amazing! I love it.

• Lorelai November 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm

“Joey gets Liz alone and tells her he’s seen her with Todd and can tell she’s not in love with him.”

I know he’s only telling Liz this so he can get all up in her goody bag, but this guy may just be the smartest person in the entire series.

PS love your Children of the Nineties glamour shot, Shannon!

Oh, thank you!

Yeah, Joey is one smart cookie. It’s been obvious to us from the beginning that she doesn’t really love Todd, but Joey’s the only one who doesn’t think they deserve a Couple of the Year award.

• Lori November 10, 2009 at 10:55 pm

No Joey Liz just loves cheating on Todd.

True story.

• Tracy London November 10, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Of course old cowboy dude is named Hank. Just of course it is…

Ha, yeah, I figure it must have been a toss up between Hank and, like, Bill or something. Possibly Rusty.

• Darren November 11, 2009 at 12:44 am

Aw man, why couldn’t Maria (Winston’s girlfriend) be meeting up with some rich dude that walks with a swagger (ala Vince McMahon), that would’ve been funny to dress Winston in a suit and have him swaggering along like he’s drunk like the wrestling promoter! That would’ve been funny, and then Winston could talk like he’s gargling with Drano.

Don’t feel too bad about Elizabeth, she’s really hopped around with a lot of boys, cheating on boyfriends is a Wakefield thing like the ewings of Dallas: Elizabeth, Jessica, even Steven, even Ned with Marianne rumors and Alice with Hank Patman. It’s so amazing Elizabeth hasn’t jumped in the sack yet, and more amazing how Jessica let herself get manipulated with Jeremy the swindler.

• Jenna November 11, 2009 at 1:13 am

I think they named him Hank because the ghostwriters insist on recycling names, creating this vortex of Sweet Valley incestuous sounding families/relationships. Weird.

Liz is such a whore! I’m giggling silently to myself because I haven’t thought of someone as a “kissing slut” since about 7th grade, but she totally is one!

Shan – Your pic is adorable! I wish I could submit a glam shot, but my entire family is in it. Maybe awkwardfamilyphotos.com will have me, haha

I’m sure she’d take a family shot! Send it in!

LOL @ “kissing slut.” She totally is.

• Lindsay November 11, 2009 at 5:20 am

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I know, that’s my favorite part, too!

Lindsay Reply:

It might be the greatest thing ever in an SVH book. Aside from Lila Fowler

Of course. There is nothing better in an SVH book than Lila Fowler.

• Darren November 12, 2009 at 11:30 am

It’s amazing that Liz can treat Todd like crap and he doesn’t even get the message!

• Krista July 9, 2012 at 2:43 am

I just woke my husband up because I just guffawed right out loud at your closing comment. Comedy gold.

Haha, apologize to your husband for me!

• Kylie90210 May 22, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I think I need to re-read this one, as the end doesn’t sound familiar… I think this must be where I am up to in my re-read… which has taken me 6 years, ugh. Your awesome blog is just reminding me not to pick it up again, your reviews are much more entertaining, lol.

• Krista November 3, 2013 at 11:21 am

She wishes Todd would go home and acts like she’s totally bored with him.

You know, I know the writing is slanted so we are supposed to dislike Todd once Liz has found her flavor of the season, but seriously, I can’t help but root for the guy. I even like him when he’s being an insufferable jackass, because Liz is so clueless in her self-important bitchitude.

Also, I can’t fault him for the jealous act any more, since God knows, Liz has given him enough reason to freak out whenever he sees her alone with another male.

And I know *SPOILERS!!!* that in SV Confidential, we are supposed to feel bad for Liz, but seriously, I can’t hate Todd for playing her like a fool when she did the same thing to him for more than a decade. Repeatedly (because you KNOW even when they got back together in college and until the broke up over Todd’s infidelity, she probably cheated on him at least a dozen times).

• Dane Youssef November 16, 2013 at 1:47 pm

“She was attracted to somebody else. She had to break up with Todd. Just the thought made her feel like the most disloyal girlfriend on earth.

No, the fact that you constantly cheat on your boyfriend makes you the most disloyal girlfriend on earth.” –Shannon

Were truer words ever spoken? COULD truer words be ever spoken? WILL THEY?

Thanks again, Shannon. Not just for this–but for EVERYTHING.

–As Sincere As Always, Dane Youssef

• Anonymous April 26, 2014 at 7:21 am

Liz is a kissing slut. I love it! And no you can’t trust anyone in svh because their parents forgot to teach them a little something called morals. liz honey if you feel bad, Then just
    Don’t Do It! It is not hard to stay faithful,just a commitment to do the right thing. Sigh. I am so glad this is fiction. and yes totally agree, this is what makes her disloyal girlfriend. so glad someone is pointing out what has been bothering me about this series for years!:)

• Anonymous April 26, 2014 at 7:26 am

Ps: Todd buddy, get some self respect, dump her and find someone who never cheats. She may not be as beautiful or as popular but at least she will treat you right. boy what a wimp. Self respect is worth more than a size six figure and blue green eyes. There! I finally said it!:)

• Anonymous October 17, 2015 at 7:55 pm

I love this blog so much

• Kim December 1, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Everybody’s all “poor Todd”, but I could care less. Todd’s not exactly the most faithful boyfriend on the planet. “Kissing slut” my ass. He’s cheated about as much if not more than Liz, including sleeping with her own sister. Nothing Liz does will ever top that.

• Natasha January 9, 2017 at 1:19 am

Lol I scared my cat by laughing at the closing comment. I laughed so loud the poor thing ran off.

Liz is just as bad as Jess when it comes to guys-maybe worse. And I love seeing her being taken down a peg or two in this series.