Sweet Valley High Super Edition #7: Falling for Lucas

SVHSE07 - OuterThe Moral of the Story: If you try to have sex with your girlfriend, an avalanche will get you.

The Big Deal: Ski trip, “welcome back from being trapped in an avalanche” party for Todd

It’s spring break again and this time we’re off to Colorado for a ski trip. Sixteen students, including the twins, Lila, Enid, Todd and Winston, and two chaperones will be making the trip. Lila and Jessica get themselves a couple of “snow bunny” outfits and vow to break hearts all week long. Todd is feeling horny. Everyone is teasing Liz about all the alone time she’ll have with Todd, but she keeps saying they’re being silly, they’ll have roommates and chaperones to keep them company. Everyone gets on some super duper bus that has bunk beds or something, and they drive through the night. While everyone is sleeping, Todd sneaks up the aisle and lays down next to Liz and spoons her. She wakes up and tells him to go away, then Mr. Collins yells for Todd to get back to his own bunk.

That night, Todd walks Liz upstairs when she says she wants to go to sleep. Inspiration strikes and he says he wants to show her his room. She figures he just wants a more private goodnight kiss, so she goes along. Todd starts getting fresh and Liz’s poor sensibilities just can’t take it when he tells her he’s arranged for Winston to sleep somewhere else that night. She looks horrified and stalks into the bathroom. Todd thinks she just wants to freshen up before they get “more intimate.” He settles onto the bed, looking all smug, and Liz comes out of the bathroom and pours a glass of water in his lap. Todd never takes down the Do Not Disturb sign, so poor Winston has to sleep in the lobby all night.

Liz manages to avoid Todd most of the next day, but he eventually finds her and tries to talk. Liz skis away from the path to get away from him. He follows her, and then there’s an avalanche. He loses Liz, but some thirty-something woman in red who’s been eyeing Todd all day comes along and takes him to a cabin. The woman introduces herself as Cassandra, and Todd thinks over and over again how attractive she is. He tears his eyes away from Cassandra long enough to build a fire and call the ski patrol on the handy radio in the kitchen. Liz is in the ski patrol cabin and she hears his voice so she knows he’s okay, but then the radio goes out and she doesn’t hear anything more.

Cassandra flirts with Todd all evening and he’s all, “But Mrs. Robinson!” He lets her have the bed while he sleeps on the couch. He wakes up in the middle of the night to find this thirty-year-old woman kissing him. He freaks out and pushes her away. Uh, lady? People get arrested for that sort of thing.

Enid is feeling ugly again, like she does anytime she goes anywhere with the Wakefield twins. She’s still sad about her breakup with Hugh and she’s determined to meet some guy on this trip and make him fall in love with her. She has a book called A Hundred and One Ways to be Sassy on the Slopes. Enid does everything the book tells her to do, but she keeps attracting guys she doesn’t like. She’s pretty picky for an ugly loser, don’t you think?

Liz is out of her mind worrying about Todd. She insists on staying in the ski patrol cabin. A ski patrol guy named Dirk lets her stay and pretty much breaks all kinds of rules for her. Liz keeps telling him she wants to go with him to search for Todd and he lets her, even though it’s really dangerous. They eventually figure out which cabin Todd is in, and Liz is the first one through the door after they dig the snow away. She walks in and sees Todd and Cassandra kissing. (Really, Cassandra was kissing Todd and he was trying to get away from her, but let’s not tell Liz.) Later, Liz is sitting in front of the fire in the lobby of the lodge, feeling sorry for herself. Dirk sits next to her and tells her what a jerk Todd is, and then he kisses her. Liz tries to push him away, but then, of course, Todd comes up behind them and starts yelling at Liz. Oh, god, I hate you guys. I’ll save you some suspense and tell you they get back together in the end. Of course.

Lila finds out about a party Lucas is going to and slips away to crash it. Jessica is looking out the window when Lila gets back, and she sees Lucas and Lila kissing. Hooray for Lila getting the guy before Jessica! Jessica starts down Devil’s Run the next day, but Lucas finds out and goes speeding over there, much to Lila’s chagrin, because he still thinks Jessica and Lila are beginners. Jessica is actually doing just fine, but she sees Lucas zooming toward her and gets distracted. She crashes into him, fracturing her ankle and spraining his. Lucas decides to stay at the lodge to be close to the clinic, so the next day, Jessica sneaks over to his room while Lila is skiing. They hang out on the couch and just after they start making out, along comes Lila. Jessica tells her to go away. So Lila pays a room service guy fifty bucks to let her hide under his cart. When he pushes the cart into Lucas’ room, Lila jumps out from under the tablecloth and she and Jessica start screaming at each other. Lucas peaces out. Jessica and Lila find him later at Todd’s Welcome Back party, making out with Enid.

“A snow bunny, Jess?” Elizabeth asked, her tone horrified. “Don’t you see how that kind of language just supports the sexist stereotypes that women—”

“Lighten up, Liz,” Jessica urged.

Seriously.

The Cover: Ooh, look at that sexy naked arm helping to hang that Do Not Disturb sign up. As for the inner cover, I have no idea who that’s supposed to be. Todd and Liz? Liz and Dirk? Jessica and Lucas? No idea.

SVHSE07 - Inner

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • Sandy November 6, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Lol, Todd go back to your bunk you’re cutting in on Mr. Collins’ action.

Hiding under the cart kind of an all time low for Lila. :/

Finally Enid gets some action!

I love when Enid steals the guys from Jessica and Lila.

Seriously, I can’t believe our Lila would ever do something so low class and ridiculous.

• Megan November 6, 2009 at 12:30 pm

OMG COVER SWEATER.

You are my world, sweater.

It really does look comfy.

Megan Reply:

It really does. And that pattern…

• rachierach November 6, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Jeez.
    And I thought *I* was prude at 16.

• Merrie November 6, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Wow. Jess/Liz sure is ugl on this cover.

Do you think they used the same hand model from “Kidnapped!”

• Amanda November 6, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Lol if you look at the inside cover closely there is something seriously messed up about there legs in the casts, I can’t remember what it is but it’s creepy.

Sandy Reply:

Oh so that must be Jess since she fractured her ankle.

Amanda, is it the fact that you can only see three legs?

It’s just confusing. It looks like the same sweater on the inner and outer covers so I’d think it would be the same twin, but Liz never breaks her ankle and Jessica never has anything to do with a Do Not Disturb sign. And Liz and Dirk are the only ones who make out in front of a fire.

I’ve officially thought about this for way too long.

Sandy Reply:

It’s a cover melee. That explains it.

Amanda Reply:

Omg Shannon me too! But it’s so fun to overthink the covers:) I think it might have been the three leg thing, but I don’t remember, It’s been along time since I read it. I’ll have to dig it out:)

• Fear Street November 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm

“Cassandra flirts with Todd all evening and he’s all, “But Mrs. Robinson!” ” Too bad Mr. Robinson didn’t catch them and bust their asses.

That would have been awesome.

• DarfurHerald November 6, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Guys are attracted to incompetence, huh? Then I’ve been doing it all wrong by trying to talk to this guy (he’s from Siberia! I wonder if that would make an SVH book…) in the college art club I’m part of, saying what I know about art and plants (yes, plants). I need to act stupid and then we can start a relationship.

Anyway, the whole Cassandra thing reminds me of the Young Collector scene from “Streetcar Named Desire”. Only Cassandra is nothing like Blanche DuBois.

A guy from Siberia would not make a good SVH book. In Sweet Valley world, the only other countries that exist are England, France and whatever made up country that Prince Arthur guy is from.

I feel sure that if you act like an idiot, you’ll have this guy eating out of your hand. It might help if you wear a snow bunny suit.

• Lorelai November 7, 2009 at 2:50 am

This is THE most misleading cover ever. It’s a thriller edition with a creepy picture of some dude grabbing a Wakefield’s arm. That immediately made me think that Lucas was another John Marin/Jeremy Whatshisname-esque killer/rapist guy. Plus, it totally looks like he’s holding a severed arm.

I’m damn mad at Jessica for getting over Christian so quickly. I’ve been mourning him for years (damn that miniseries! Will I ever get over it?), and she can’t even keep her panties on for one freakin’ book?

Sadako Reply:

I thought so too. It looks like a date rape poster!

Ha! It really does.

I thought this looked like a Thriller cover too and was expecting a Thrilling book. Then I realized it’s just a Super Edition in disguise.

• Darren November 7, 2009 at 11:20 am

How many Spring Breaks have the twins had already for their 16th birthday? That’s amazing to have more then 1 spring break, unless Sweet Valley High closes for 2 weeks for their spring break. The twins already had like 4 Christmases in one day, duh! The timelines the ghost writers write makes no sense.

• Darren November 7, 2009 at 11:24 am

Gosh, Lorelai, I’d be there for sure to see Jessica not keeping her panties on. Course I envision when Jessica is out on the town, she’d wear nothing under her dresses. I know for sure in Rick Andover’s car, Jessica did the Sharon Stone pose in the front seat to tease him.

Enid broke up with Hugh AGAIN? I thought she and Hugh had something going after book 84 as I read it…

Dude, TMI. We don’t need to know about your Sweet Valley Fantasies, lol.

Enid and Hugh did get back together, but at the beginning of Murder in Paradise, she was upset because they’ve broken up again.

• Smiley November 8, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Skiing again? They just did that in Super Edition #5. Geez!

Yeah, but we didn’t actually get to see them ski and learn that the twins are awesome skiers.

• Rosie November 8, 2009 at 11:13 pm

God, that cover freaks me out. The guy’s hand is almost as big as the girl’s forearm!

Ha, yeah, that hand is WAY bigger than the girl’s hand.

• Lori November 8, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Seriously, what a jackass.

• Jenna November 9, 2009 at 2:45 pm

My boyfriend would kill me if I dumped cold water on his boner. Actually, I don’t think I’d have a boyfriend if I didn’t put out, lol. Why is Todd trying to get Liz to sleep with him now? If she was going to wouldn’t she have done it when the Wakefield parentals were out of town and they were playing house? C’mon Todd, when Liz finally does get down and dirty it’ll probably be with some amazingly gorgeous guy she’s cheating on you with. Duh.

• EmpressIzzy December 7, 2011 at 6:25 am

“I’ll save you some suspense and tell you they get back together in the end. Of course.”

Because, as we all know, they are Sweet Valley’s most perfect couple. And that really leads me to wonder at how dysfunctional the other couples must be.

Seriously, how did you make it through all this crap? I’m exhausted just from reading the recaps (they are deliciously snarky, by the way!)

• Dane Youssef January 31, 2013 at 2:50 am

“The best thing about Todd in this book is the fact that he’s completely surprised when Liz won’t put out. Then he has a perfectly good opportunity to get laid by Cassandra and he passes it up. Idiot.”

Yup. The one time neither was cheating on the other–and they damn-well should have been. Liz and Todd are as stupid as the plot requires them to be.

I think too many of us look for logic and consistency in these damn things. You really can LOVE these things if you learn to look for neither. EVER.

–Sincerely As Always, Dane Youssef

• Kylie90210 May 22, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I think a re-read is in order for this one… But it is surprising that they mention such scandalous things as s.e.x! Maybe it was to mirror what was going on in SVU?

• Kim January 5, 2016 at 10:15 am

“Mr. Collins yells for Todd to get back to his own bunk.”

lol @ Mr. Collins cock blocking. He seems to have a thing for Liz and he’s getting territorial now.

“Their first day on the slopes, Lila and Jessica meet a gorgeous ski instructor named Lucas King and start acting like they don’t know how to ski, because everyone knows guys hate chicks that know how to do stuff. Jessica manages to get away from Lila and then finagle Lucas into agreeing to a whole day’s worth of lessons. Lila is pissed. They make a deal. Whoever kisses Lucas first wins, and the loser has to ski down Devil’s Run, the most dangerous slope.”

Why do these girls always fall for the same damn men? Every book Liz, Jessica, Lila, Enid, etc. are all competing for the same dudes. It’s boring. Do they all have to have the exact same taste in men?

“but some thirty-something woman in red who’s been eyeing Todd all day comes along and takes him to a cabin.”

It amazes me how many grown 20 & 30 year olds come on to teenagers in these books. With no consequences. Jessica’s dated how many older guys? And Mr. Collins has flirted or behaved inappropriately with Liz how many times? I know the writers want to present the twins and these other kids as “cool” and hot enough to attract older people, but I can’t help but wonder if they really though about the message they were sending to their teenage readers.

“Uh, lady? People get arrested for that sort of thing.”

I was just about to say this.

“Dirk sits next to her and tells her what a jerk Todd is, and then he kisses her. Liz tries to push him away, but then, of course, Todd comes up behind them and starts yelling at Liz”

How can Todd get mad when he was just making out with Cassandra?

“she sees Lucas and Lila kissing. Hooray for Lila getting the guy before Jessica!

Jessica and Lila find him later at Todd’s Welcome Back party, making out with Enid.”

This guy really gets around.

• Kim January 5, 2016 at 11:07 am

“I love when Enid steals the guys from Jessica and Lila.”

LOL me too

“Todd you’ve been alone with Liz a million times and nothing happened what made you think that now Liz would want to sleep with you? I loved her dumping cold water on him.”

Liz is so not into Todd at all and it’s never been more obvious to me than now looking back and rereading these old books.

“Why is Todd trying to get Liz to sleep with him now? If she was going to wouldn’t she have done it when the Wakefield parentals were out of town and they were playing house? C’mon Todd, when Liz finally does get down and dirty it’ll probably be with some amazingly gorgeous guy she’s cheating on you with. Duh.”

This is exactly what I’m saying. Liz gave Bruce more action in Almost Married than she gave Todd when he was staying in her house. I didn’t read SVU, but heard she didn’t even sleep with him in college and he broke up with her for it. She’s just not that into him. I think she stays w/ Todd cause he’s safe, comfortable, reliable, etc., but there’s no spark, sexual chemistry or excitement for her with him.

• Mandy Miller February 11, 2016 at 10:55 am

This was first SVH book I’ve read! I’ve been a fan of SVT before I read this in our high school library. I was already fourteen at that moment, but I was still surprised by the scenes. I mean, these kids were only two years older than I was. Maybe that was only because I am immature. ? Now, I’m a year older than the twins in junior high.
    BTW, I literally thought Mandy Miller would still appear on the SVH books. Maybe she died somewhere before high school because of cancer? Dang it, she was my favorite.

This site is the best. Keep it up, Shannon! ?

• Mandy Jessica Miller February 11, 2016 at 11:00 am

This site is the best. Keep it up, Shannon! ?

• Mandy Jessica Miller February 11, 2016 at 11:04 am

*The question marks on my previous comment were supposed to be emojis. 😀 lol

• bria March 13, 2017 at 7:53 am

lucas gets around in this book lila, jessica, and enid such a manwhore