Sweet Valley High #120: In Love with the Enemy

SVH120The Moral of the Story: On no account should boys be allowed to hang out by themselves.

The Big Deal: SVH/Palisades football game, masquerade ball

At what is apparently the most important football game of all time, Liz and Enid meet two girls from Palisades High. Marla and Caitlin work on the Palisades newspaper, so the four girls immediately become friends. They all lament that there’s nothing for their papers to write about and decide to make their own news. After talking for a while, they decide the two schools should hold a fundraiser dance. They’ll make it a competition: the school that sells the most tickets can donate all the proceeds to the charity of its choice. None of the girls notice that the Palisades Pumas are playing dirty on the field and really banging up the SVH players.

Sweet Valley loses the game and Ken is all emo and pissy about it. He’s hanging out with Todd and Aaron in the parking lot afterward when a couple Pumas come up and punch him in the stomach. Ken tries to fight back, but Todd and Aaron restrain him and drag him to Todd’s car. After that, the guys start having GNOs (Guys’ Night Out). Egged on by Bruce, they start to get all crazed about getting revenge on Palisades High. They get a bunch of paint and write on the Palisades football field, “Palisades Pumas Purr Like Kittens.” Oh, Bruce. You almost got it right, but you’re off by just one word. In retaliation, the Palisades guys egg cars and TP houses. Blah, blah, everyone hates each other. The funniest part about this whole thing is that the SVH guys are suddenly walking around wearing jean jackets and sunglasses all the time. They’ve all been brainwashed, including Ken and Todd. Liz isn’t happy and wants to cancel the dance. Jessica doesn’t really care what’s going on because she’s all wrapped up in her latest infidelity.

There’s a surfing competition coming up and the grand prize is a trip to Hawaii. Jessica is determined to win even though she can’t surf. She wakes up early one morning to go to the beach and teach herself the basics. That’s where she meets Christian Gorman, the most gorgeous man she’s ever seen and a champion surfer. Over the next week, Christian teaches Jessica to surf and they fall in love. They decide they don’t want to know too much about each other, so neither of them even knows where the other goes to school. Jessica sort of feels bad about the fact that Ken’s going through a thing and she’s not there for him, so she gives a half-assed attempt at talking to him about the Palisades thing. He tells her there’s going to be trouble at the upcoming dance. Jessica says maybe they should just cancel it, but Ken says the guys will all show up anyway. Jessica tells Liz canceling the dance would be a bad idea because at least if there are other people around, maybe the guys won’t get too crazy.

Liz and Olivia get together with Marla and Caitlin and decide each school should do an edition of their paper dedicated to the other school. Liz and Olivia go to Palisades High to interview some students, but nobody will talk to them, partly because Liz is wearing an SVH sweatshirt. Even after she turns it inside out, though, nobody wants anything to do with her. When Liz and Olivia get back to SVH, they find Marla and Caitlin have had similar luck. Liz writes her feature article about Palisades High’s past record in sports and shit, which is really boring but at least it’s not inflammatory. Then John Pfeifer decides he just has to put in the stuff about the Palisades guys playing dirty on the football field. There’s also a bit about Tom McKay getting hit in the head with a tennis ball (*must resist urge to make a Clueless reference about Tom and balls flying at his face*). After reading John’s articles, the guys at SVH are even angrier than before.

The dance is being held at an old warehouse on Phantom Lane, halfway between Palisades and Sweet Valley. ‘Cause that’s not creepy or anything. As soon as the dance starts, all the guys disappear. Jessica goes outside to find them and walks right into a rumble. Ken is on the ground covered in blood. Jessica looks up at his attacker and is shocked to see Christian. Jessica slumps to the ground, and “Then nothing. Blackness.” So I guess she passes out or something.

To be continued.

Using her mouse, she clicked open her dance file.

Reading about people in the early to mid nineties using computers never fails to make me giggle.

They must have used a dozen roles [sic] of toilet paper, Ken thought. What a waste. Don’t they know anything about conservation?

Yes, that’s Ken’s mental comeback to having toilet paper thrown all over his house. Conservation.

Elizabeth turned angrily, shaking off the hand. It was Bruce and he was scowling. Aaron and Ronnie were standing by his side. They were all wearing their jean jackets and dark glasses.

I guess that’s how you know when a guy has been brainwashed into Bruce’s club. He gets himself a jean jacket and a pair of sunglasses.

The Cover: Ooh, look at those bad boys in that parking lot with that rebellious knocked over trashcan. Aw, but look at Christian and Jessica falling in love. How sweet.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Sandy November 3, 2009 at 11:35 am

How very Greaser of them. It kind of looks like a scene from Fight Club.

I would have fainted to if the guy I was cheating on my bf with was kicking his butt.

This intro book was soooo lame. Can’t wait for tomorrows book!

Yeah, tomorrow’s should be better. This one was pretty lame.

• Merrie November 3, 2009 at 11:52 am

They had their dance in a warehouse? Wow, it’s almost like Footloose. Except it’s not in a barn. And they have dances all of the time. And parties don’t lead to teen deaths in Sweet Vally.

OK, it’s nothing like Footloose.

Ha ha, no, not really.

• Anonymous November 3, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Beverly Hills 90210 had this same plot in the 90’s. I wonder which one came first?

I thought Footloose too, btw.

Sandy Reply:

I’m pretty sure it’s 90210. And then SW cashes in on it!

It wouldn’t surprise me. Most of the plots of these later books are ripped from other stuff. They usually have a very Saved by the Bell flavor, but I can totally see 90210 in this one.

Meredith Reply:

Actually it’s just an up to date version of Helen Of Troy.

• Lindsay November 3, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I owned this one! This was one of the few later ones I actually bought. This one and the next one. I found it all a little “Outsiders”-ish only obviously not as cool. (Did anyone else watch the movie in English class after reading the book in, I think, junior high?)

Why is John “McRapey” Pfeifer back in the books? Has he been there and I just didn’t notice? How come Regina Morrow had to die after a line of coke but Mr. Date Rape is totally allowed to live and go on writing for the Oracle and whatnot? Lila shoulda had him killed.

I think I saw the movie on television a whole bunch when I was little. It seems like it was on every Saturday for a long time, but I’m sure that’s just my crappy memory.

Yeah, I really hate that John is just all, “La-di-da, I still get to write articles and talk to Liz.” No you don’t. Go away. But don’t worry, he gets his comeuppance eventually!

• HelenB November 3, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I think that may be the best line I have ever read.

Ha, I speak only the truth!

• Sadako November 3, 2009 at 6:27 pm

“Using her mouse.” Heh. Such technology we have! Keyboards! Mouses! Computer screens!

“Shannon used her mouse to click the Reply button on her screen. Then, using her keyboard, she typed a message to Sadako. Just wait until the book where Ken and Olivia hang out in a chat room! Redundant explanations galore! Instantly, the words appeared on Sadako’s screen…”

• Lori November 3, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Jean Jackets and black sunglasses mean trouble? Okay…maybe there are drugs going around SVH.

I think yes. Or maybe Bruce bought them for everyone like he did with the Club X jackets. It’s kind of weird how he always wants the people who hang out with him to dress the same.

megan s. Reply:

why didn’t they just wear the club x jackets? weren’t they leather?

But the Palisades guys were wearing leather. How would anyone ever tell them apart?

• Lorelai November 3, 2009 at 9:08 pm

*dies*

This is fantastic. But there are a few things we need to discuss:

A) “playing dirty” at the football game, as far as I recall, was a sneaky punch and a little bit of a brawl. Guys, that’s what football IS. It’s a physical game. SVH guys act like that sort of thing’s never happened before.
    B) Denim jackets and sunglasses does not a gangsta make. That should just be common knowledge.
    C) Why is anyone still talking to John Pfeifer?
    D) Bruce Patman inciting violence and leading his school into manly sweaty battles, despite the fact that there’s very little evidence of him having any school spirit whatsoever = HAWT.

Sorry for the long comment, but you were probably expecting one from me this time 🙂 Can’t wait for the next two!

I was expecting this. I was wondering where you were all day! I keep forgetting you live on the other side of the world. You were probably asleep when I posted this, weren’t you?

a.) The Palisades guys were being jerks for some reason I still can’t figure out, but yeah, the SVH guys were being pussies.
    b.) Absolutely. If that look was ever hardcore, I’m glad I wasn’t around for it.
    c.) I have no idea. He should really just die in a fire.
    d.) LOL @ manly sweaty battles.

Lorelai Reply:

Yup. Curse that crazy time difference! Sometimes I catch these recaps before I go to bed if you post them early enough, because I have very little concept of what constitutes an appropriate bedtime. Then again, I’m twenty years old — four in the morning is probably the norm at my age, no?

I think four in the morning is perfectly appropriate for a twenty-year-old’s bedtime!

• DarfurHerald November 3, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I remember having to take out flat, circular piece that kept the rubber mouseball in the mouse, blow the dust out of the mouse, put the mouseball back in, and snap the piece back in. Memories! Oh, and then laser mice were awesomeness. People still use PCs and mice, but I’ve switched to touchpads. They just feel so natural now, although they’re clumsy for drawing.

The gang action isn’t very scary. It kind of reminds me of the ‘Newhart’ episode (yes, I watch it with my family–it’s funny! 😀 ) where Bob Newhart’s character Dick and his old friends from a teen gang get back together and meet up with an old rival gang and try to be rough, but end up just shouting and running at each other, waving their arms. *giggle*

I cannot stand touchpads. I just can’t get the hang of it.
    I also totally remember blowing the dust out of my mouse. Did the trick every time!

I won’t even pretend to know what you’re talking about with all that Newhart stuff, but it sounds funny! I know I watched it with my parents when I was little, but I don’t remember much about it. Was that the show with two guys named Darrel and Darrel?

DarfurHerald Reply:

Yup, Darrel and Darrel! Bingo. I just started watching ‘Newhart’ (not to be confused with the ‘Bob Newhart Show’ which is now prehistoric, and I’ve never seen) but it’s funny.

Touchpads are good, and especially for a laugh teaching ‘Baby Boomers’, such as parents, to use it. XD

megan s. Reply:

Have you watched the last episode of Newhart? It’s so awesome. lol

Lorelai Reply:

Lol taking the ball out of all the mouses in the school computer labs was one of my favourite pranks.
    That, and putting library books (sometimes SVH ones!) in people’s bags so that when they walked out the security detector things would go off…

Sandy Reply:

OMG! I did the same thing in the library, Lorelai! Except I didn’t put a whole book, I would peel the sensor sticker off and put it in the backpack! LOL
    Good times, good times.

• Anonymous November 5, 2009 at 12:37 pm

“Palisades Pumas Purr Like Kittens.”

I laughed, quite heartily!

Also, I must point out that the cover shows all the boys in LEATHER jackets, not denim. Tsk tsk.

I know, I hate this cover artist. He’s always getting shit wrong.

• KateC November 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be anon. That last one was me!

• Kylie August 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Just read this one recently, love the recap! I can’t wait to see you review Jess and Christian… Ew.

• Krista November 3, 2013 at 10:30 am

“Palisades Pumas Purr Like Kittens.” Haha, I just always mentally insert the appropriate perjorative whenever they try that vanilla shit.

• hasta bak?c? fiyatlar? 2016 August 21, 2016 at 6:03 am

Mükemmel bir payla??m te?ekkürlerimi sunar?m

• Alex Kennedy December 5, 2016 at 9:24 am

“They get a bunch of paint and write on the Palisades football field, “Palisades Pumas Purr Like Kittens.” Oh, Bruce. You almost got it right, but you’re off by just one word.” LOL

Why is it if someone goes to a different school, then that turns into a source of rivalry? It is very childish.

• Natasha December 30, 2016 at 1:26 am

This book is so lame! The SVH guys bought this upon themselves and are a bunch of hypocrites. Football is a physical sport. Ken goes through a major personality transplant too.

• Alex Kennedy February 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

From now on, it seems as if every guy Jessica dates either dies or something bad happens to them. She dates a uni prof and it turns out that he has a “crazy” ex-wife.

• Elaina June 2, 2017 at 11:39 am

I have to comment on Elizabeth wearing an SVH sweatshirt to go interview kids at a rival school! That is too damn funny. I thought she was supposed to be so smart. Lol!!!