Sweet Valley High #114: “V” for Victory

SVH114Read the rest of this miniseries: Part one, part two.

The Moral of the Story: You can totally win the cheerleading competition if you make sure the better squad gets disqualified.

The Big Deal: National cheerleading competition

The cheerleaders win the state championships, but Jessica is all pissed off when Heather makes a speech and acts like it’s her squad. Liz is still cheerleading even though the only reason she joined the squad was so Jessica wouldn’t tell Todd about her and Ken and, well, now that cat’s out of the bag. After Heather’s speech, Jessica runs off to cry about it, and the other cheerleaders lift Liz up in victory, thinking she’s Jessica. Jessica cries about it some more.

Liz tries to apologize to Jessica and explain the whole Ken situation, but Jessica is convinced that Liz was trying to steal her boyfriend to get back at her for blackmailing her. She tries to talk to Todd, too, but he’s not interested in making up. When the cheerleaders get on their bus to head up to Yosemite for the national competition, both Ken and Todd are all sad. Todd realizes he really does love Liz, but now he’s messed everything up. He bumps into Ken and they start shoving each other. From the sidelines, Bruce tells them the Wakefields aren’t worth fighting over, so Todd and Ken join forces and tackle Bruce. After a talking-to from Chrome Dome, Todd and Ken make up. They decide to drive up to Yosemite and get their twins back. They take Winston with them.

At the cheerleading compound, the Sweet Valley squad is assigned to share a cabin with the Alabama squad. Southern stereotypes ensue. When Heather’s old squad from Reno shows up, Heather gets all freaked out. In her bed, she finds a newspaper clipping detailing the circumstances under which she was kicked off her old squad. There is also a note from Marissa James, the Reno squad’s current captain, telling Heather to meet her outside. The next day, Heather messes up in all the routines and it’s obvious to me that Marissa is blackmailing her into losing.

The stupid boys get to the compound but can’t get in because there are no boys allowed. Let’s just forget about the fact that lots of cheerleading squads have boys on them, and also that friends and family members generally come to these things to watch. Whatever. The boys start heading back home, but then have a great idea. They’re going to dress as girls. Guys, the girls will be back on Monday. Just hang on.

I hate this.

Jessica is sick of Heather screwing everything up, so she decides to kick her off the squad. They end up having an argument, of course, and Heather tells Jessica the whole story about how she cheated on a math exam and got kicked off her old squad, and now Marissa James is blackmailing her. Heather confesses to the whole squad, and they all decide Marissa James is the devil and they’re going to beat her stupid squad. The SVH squad tries to leave their cabin for the next morning’s competitions, but Marissa has locked the door from the outside and sealed all the windows shut. Todd, Ken and Winston are worried when the girls don’t show up before the competition starts, so they go off looking for them and find the cabin. They open the door and all the girls make fun of their horrible disguises.

Later that day, the sight of the boys in their cheerleading uniforms is too much for the twins and they start laughing so hard they have to hold on to each other to keep from falling over. (I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard that I’ve fallen down. It sounds like fun.) Just like that, the twins are friends again and they decide to play a joke on the boys. Before their final performance, the twins run on stage and call Todd, Ken and Winston to the floor to do a routine. The boys, of course, suck at it. When they start sliding all over the floor, the girls realize the Reno squad must have done something. They tell the referee what they think, and the Reno squad admits to pouring baby oil all over the floor. In the end, the Reno squad is disqualified and the Sweet Valley squad comes in second place. Then the twins make up with their boyfriends and everyone is happy. Hooray!

Elizabeth gritted her teeth…She felt like screaming out for everyone to hear: “If you weren’t blackmailing me, I wouldn’t come near your stupid squad!” But of course Elizabeth couldn’t say anything. Jessica had her over a barrel.

Liz, honey. Todd already knows about you and Ken. It’s the reason you’re broken up right now. Nothing will change if you quit the squad.

Oh, you guys. Just break up already.

Suddenly a face popped out the door. “Well, hi, y’all!” exclaimed a big freckle-faced southern girl, waving as the Sweet Valley High cheerleaders approached their cabin.

“C’mon in!” said another friendly-looking girl, propping the door of the cabin wide open. “We’ve been waitin’ for you to arrive. Kept wonderin’ where the girls from California were! I’m Wilhemina, and this is Peggy May.”

Of course you are.

“If Ken can’t distinguish me from my sister, then he must not really love me.”

Do I have to define the word “identical” for you?

The Cover: Ooh, sparkly! It’s funny, of all the numerous descriptions in the book about the uniforms, I don’t think any of them looked like that.

Tags: ,

Comments
  • Sandy October 16, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Ken and Todd teaming up on Bruce for his words was the gayest thing ever.
    And I used to read Sweet Valley Twins. Wasn’t Ken smart? I know he was short, but I could have sworn he was smart….

I still don’t like Heather. First her name would be HEATHER. I bet the author saw the movie Heathers. And then get blackmailed because she cheated? Hello! You’re at a new school, I guess she was afraid she would seem less awesome.

Back to Jess and Ken, I’m not feeling them as a couple. Not after Sam. Like going from Brad Pitt to Vince Vaughn.

Lori Reply:

Maybe her name should have been Veronica.

Darren Reply:

How about Veronica Brooks? Man, somebody should’ve whacked the author one and said put in Veronica Brooks, the girl that stole things from the Unicorns and dated Steven briefly? Having Veronica Brooks and Jessica go at it would’ve been so much fun!

I’m writing my own Sweet Valley, which is highly MA, but the cheering girls I have are:
    Jessica Wakefield
    Mandy Miller
    Melissa McCormick
    Jean West
    Sandra Bacon
    Cara Walker
    2 Japanese girls named Usagi and Makoto
    2 sisters named Laurie and Judi
    Robin Robertson, the twins’ cousin that lives in the revamped neighborhood
    Maria Santelli
    Betsy Martin

Then when Tricia passes on and Betsy winds up moving, Amy Sutton then takes over.

I may put in Robin Wilson, but she takes an illegal supplement that made her lose the weight so she’s thus banned for the school’s zero tolerence program she violates.

Just thought I’d add some more rambling chatter. But my version of Sweet valley has been going along great as I have 4 chapters already!

miyuu Reply:

Omigosh Darren. You’re a lover of both SVH and Sailor Moon. Gotcha there. It made me laugh. when I’ve read this. But hey, Same here. haha.

Sandy, I can’t remember, but I think Ken was smart at one point. I guess too much Wakefield makeout time really messes with the brain.

• Sadako October 16, 2009 at 1:33 pm

“If Ken can’t distinguish me from my sister, then he must not really love me.”

Yes, please tell her what identical means.

Though on the plus side it means Jessica and Elizabeth can take turns double teaming him and he won’t be any the wiser.

True story!

• Merrie October 16, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Is Ken still blind in this book? That’s the only explanation.

Ha ha, that made me laugh.

• Fear Street October 16, 2009 at 5:45 pm

God, this one sounds unbearable. I don’t how you plod through these.

Darren Reply:

Nay, this book was great to me. It was funny that Liz and Ken have an affair that nobody bothered to mention or how it occured. It’s great how Todd, then Jessica didn’t know a thing about it. It was Liz’s own carelessness and jealousy that exposed her because she couldn’t be happy for her sister dating Ken. Who was Liz to call ken a duplicate of Jeremy? I thought Jeremy at first was Dana larson’s brother for he’s the type of jerk to do something like this after badmouthing Sally his own cousin! Having LIz the cheerleader was fantastic! She had spirit in the picture of 113.

Sandy Reply:

I liked this book as well. So much cheesy drama, this has become my guilty pleasure.

The worst part was the boys pretending to be girls. It actually wasn’t that bad until that point.

• Lori October 16, 2009 at 7:29 pm

I hope the girls figure out this identical stuff before they get married and accidently sleep with each other’s husbands.

Bruce had the best line of the book.

So Liz cheats on him again and Todd blew it again. How does that work?

You know they’re going to share their husbands just like they share their boyfriends. Ew.

DarfurHerald Reply:

That night that Jess needs a little lovin’ from Liz’s husband, he’d be none the wiser.

Until the kid came! I have the feeling that the Wakefields would be the type of family who disapproved of contraception/birth control in marriage. But, it would be easy to switch Jess for Liz, and then it would look like Liz was preggo, and the bastard kid would be born and Jess and Liz would switch again, with Liz as surrogate. And the bastard kid would look so much like his/her aunt Liz, he/she wouldn’t know s/he’s a bastard….

I need to get a life.

• Darren October 17, 2009 at 3:12 am

Second place is such a ripoff. The Reno school should have been disqualified from the event altogether! That was something on Todd vs. Ken, the boys almost fighting and beating up Bruce was fun. When do we start the Where’s HElen Bradley campaign? How can you put her in 112 and not mention her again? Duh!

Ken is not blind for he’s the QB. I guess Claire got hurt in a game maybe, like suffered the Alex Smith shoulder injury and Ken took over. The school was playing against El Carro apparantely, must’ve been a championship state game because a cheering competition does take place somewhere in January I assume?

Man, Liz and Todd break up more times then Kevin and Winnie did, sheesh!

That’s something how Liz wantes Todd back and Todd blows her off big time, then tortures himself thinking about what Liz and Ken were doing! Man, that line in the book of

Todd had to stop torturing himself like this:
    I still get a big laugh out of it!

I’ve been ordering some of my favorite Sweet valley books. I can’t wait to turn this into a big story.

• Lorelai October 17, 2009 at 6:16 am

I think my favourite thing about this whole book was that Bruce & Co. told the organisation that they were a cheerleading squad from Sasketchewan — as in, Canada. What Canadians would be doing at an American national cheerleading championship is beyond me. These boys are literally the DUMBEST on earth.

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Bart pretends to have to go to an American grammar rodeo in Toronto, and Lisa’s like, “because why would THEY host OUR grammar rodeo?” What morons. (Except Bruce. I’m pretty sure it was Todd’s idea.)

Wow, you know, I never even thought about that, ha.
    Bruce wasn’t there, just Ken, Todd and Winston. I don’t think Bruce would EVER dress up like a girl, no matter what the situation.

Lorelai Reply:

Bruce has way too many awesome points for that.

Sandy Reply:

Yes, he does Loralai. Yes. He. Does.

• Lindsay October 17, 2009 at 11:06 am

It pains me to say this, but Bruce is right.

Ugh, Southern stereotypes. I want to punch this ghost writer in the face.

I’m soooo glad I stopped reading SVH before all this. It’s so horrible and I truly feel for you, Shannon, I do.

Thanks, Lindsay, lol.
    The stereotypes were pretty bad here.
    Bruce is totally right. He’s the only person in town who doesn’t worship the Wakefield twins. For that, he has a special place in my heart. However, for being an attempted rapist, he also has my undying hatred.

Lorelai Reply:

It is a little strange that Bruce can be so appealing, when at the same time he woos women using paper cups and wine/tries to date-rape them/cheats on them. Maybe it’s just me.

• megan s. October 17, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I have NEVER heard of the name Wilhemina before…
    and why didn’t she just say Peggy Sue?

I bet the GW thought about Peggy Sue and then thought, “Oh no, that sounds too stereotypical.” I think the GWs are idiots.

• girltalkread October 18, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I am totally with Bruce- the Wakefield girls are soo not worth fighting over!

• Nikki August 11, 2012 at 12:45 am

I never read this book and i always kinda wondered what happened

• Dane Youssef August 30, 2012 at 3:51 am

Hey, there. Nice to meet you, Shannon darling. So… you’ve gone through the entire series, huh? So you’re the official voice. The authority figurehead here, huh?

Just asking, Shannon darling…

When you remarked this quote:

“He had forgiven Elizabeth when she’d had a fling with Luke the summer she was in London. Of course, he’d had a little fling of his own. But this was different.”

Who? You mean Todd? Who was his affair with? You mean Jessica? I know he’s had affairs with Jess and at one point, a SUPERMODEL (when he himself was modeling. But… who else?

I read Todd and Jess walked down the aisle–after a ten-year running fling. I guess Liz herself whored herself to so many different guys. This was poetic justice. Oh what am I saying? The damn thing is a soap opera. Absolute fantasy.

Seriously, who else did Todd mess around with throughout the cannon of this series? I gotta ask…. Sincerely Wondering…

–A Newfound Reader Yourself, Dane Youssef

• Shannon September 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Darling, I am not the official voice of anything. I’m just a chick with a blog. But it’s nice to meet you.

As for what I mean by that quote…*I* don’t mean anything. It’s a quote lifted directly from the book. But to answer your question, there was Jessica, Simone the model, Courtney Kane, Michelle Thomas in Elizabeth’s Secret Diary #2, some neighbor of his grandmother’s in #108, he dates Shelley Novak for a minute in #88, Peggy Abbot in #84…probably more, but that’s what I got just from going through the Liz-Todd Jealousy tag.

• Saskia January 20, 2013 at 4:53 am

Winston was on the cheerleading squad in sweet valley twins, so he shouldn’t have sucked when the boys did their routine!

• Kylie90210 May 7, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Firstly, the boys dressing as girls. Awesomely ridic. Love it. Secondly, Heather getting hers. Also love it. Jessica is so annoying, but anyone who tries to take her down is more so. I don’t get it. And the fight between the boys? Amazing.

• Ernestina October 1, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I will right away cclutch your rrss feed as I can’t
    to find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service.
    Do you’ve any? Kinhdly allow me recognise so that I may subscribe.

Thanks.

• cancer November 28, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Cancer cells are being made and destroyed by the body all of
    the time.

• Dane Youssef October 8, 2015 at 7:09 pm

“If Ken can’t distinguish me from my sister, then he must not really love me.” –Jessica.

That says it all. And it doesn’t just apply the likes of Ken, now does it? Every single person in this show… Every guy who ever dated…

–Sincere As Always, Dane Youssef

• Kim December 12, 2015 at 10:22 pm

“From the sidelines, Bruce tells them the Wakefield’s aren’t worth fighting over, so Todd and Ken join forces and tackle Bruce.”

I hate Bruce. He needs to stfu and stay his punk ass on the sidelines where he belongs.

“Heather tells Jessica the whole story about how she cheated on a math exam and got kicked off her old squad, and now Marissa James is blackmailing her.”

WTF? Who the hell cares, it was at another school. It’s not even relevant, she’s not even on that squad and doesn’t even go to that school anymore. How is she blackmailing her with that? It’s not like she killed somebody. That’s literally the lamest thing I’ve ever heard to blackmail somebody with.

“The boys start heading back home, but then have a great idea. They’re going to dress as girls. Guys, the girls will be back on Monday. Just hang on.”

More Saved By the Bell type shit.

• Kim December 12, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Of course he hates the Wakefield’s. He’s a typical misogynist, he hates all women.

• Brilliant June 28, 2016 at 11:29 am

I’m so loving this book..it’s actually cool buy Liz’s jealousy is so irritating

• Brilliant June 28, 2016 at 11:31 am

But not buy..excuse me

• virtual office September 5, 2016 at 5:46 am

Starting a small business with no money may sound impossible but there are ways to kick off a very profitable business without ever spending a single dime of
    your own money. A lot of people have small business ideas that they often fail
    to put into practice either because they lack the money
    to make an investment or because the fear to lose
    everything. Always choose a new account, and look for a specialized
    bank whenever possible.

• meeting room space delaware October 9, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Yet, there are grants that are made for equipment and training.

When job offers do come and I’ll admit, some companies may
    fear hiring you because they fear a former owner being an employee, negotiate
    the best salary you can along with the best benefits you can for you and your family.
    Before you do this, examine the publication online to ensure that its website is user friendly.