Sweet Valley High #108: Left at the Altar!

SVH108Read part one of this miniseries here.

The Moral of the Story: It’s totally okay to ruin someone’s life. Your love life is way more important.

The Big Deal: Barbecue party at the beach, bridal shower for Sue

The last book ended with Jessica and Jeremy making out at an engagement party for Jeremy and Sue. This book starts with Liz finding them and telling them Alice wants to give a toast. The twins argue, and Liz is convinced Jessica has a love addiction and needs to be stopped. Both Steve and Enid tell her that trying to control Jessica is a stupid idea. Jessica and Jeremy keep sneaking around and Liz keeps trying to stop them. Liz’s self-help books tell her Jessica’s love addiction is a disease, so she’s sure there must be some way she can help.

One day, Sue gets some test results back and finds out she has the same rare blood disease that killed her mother. The doctors say she’s got two or three years to live. She tells Liz she wants to call off the wedding. Liz tells her to reconsider. Then she tells Jessica she has to stop seeing Jeremy because it’s wrong to “deceive a dying woman.” When Jessica finds out about Sue’s disease, she feels like she caused it somehow because “Jessica had thought in the past that she had psychic powers” and she wanted Sue out of the way so badly. When Sue tells Jeremy about her disease, he promises to stay with her until the end.

Todd finally gets back from his grandmother’s house and Liz is determined to tell him about Luke. Before she can tell him, Todd says he met a girl who lived next door to his grandmother. They had a fling, but it was really nothing; Liz is the only one he cares about. Liz gets angry and breaks up with him. Then she annoys Enid and Olivia with all her self-help mumbo jumbo. She tells them she ate too much cake from the engagement party and that’s a sign that she has no self control.

Meanwhile, Lila’s been dating Jeremy’s friend, Robby. Robby pretended to be rich so Lila would like him, but finally came clean. Now Lila is worried Robby only likes her for her money. She tells him a story about her parents being servants for the Fowler family. Robby gives her a passionate kiss and Lila worries her plan will backfire and Robby will actually like her better poor. In the end, she tells him the truth and is relieved when he says he loves her no matter how much money she has.

Now that Jeremy knows about Sue’s disease, he feels like he shouldn’t see Jessica anymore. Jessica isn’t giving up, though, and she starts tagging along on all of Jeremy and Sue’s dates. Liz, trying to keep Jessica from doing something stupid, also tags along. At a cookout on the beach, Jessica gets all emo and walks away. Sue, who is amazingly oblivious through this whole thing, gets worried and sends Jeremy after her. Jessica is just about to kiss him when Liz and Enid show up to drag them back to the party.

The night before the wedding, the twins have a shower for Sue. The girls start talking about Jeremy’s bachelor party and everyone except Sue wants to crash it. They all go over to Robby’s place and Liz seems disappointed that there are no strippers for her to disapprove of. Robby’s idea of a bachelor party was to cook a gourmet meal, so all the guys are grateful when the girls show up. Steve and Todd are there for some reason, and Steve tells Liz how sorry Todd is for his fling. Liz decides to stop being so obnoxious. She makes up with Todd and tells him about Luke. Then she decides to stop trying to control Jessica.

At the wedding, Jessica can’t stand it anymore. She shouts that Jeremy can’t marry Sue because he doesn’t really love her, he loves Jessica. Sue faints, the priest leads Jeremy away and everyone is pissed at Jessica.

“I’m slowly rediscovering myself and learning why I let myself lose control so it doesn’t happen again. And that’s why I think you should read this book about love addiction so you don’t lose control with Jeremy.”

Argh, shut up, Liz!

It was totally out of character for her to have done something like falling in love with another guy.

Right.

The Cover: Those dresses are hideous. All of them. Jeremy looks more evil than bastardly, like he’s planning to kill Sue after the ceremony. And Sue looks like this horrible girl I used to know, so I automatically hate her.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments
  • Amanda September 23, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Ha ha I remember being horrified someone would CHOSE to get married in a dress that ugly

• Shannon September 23, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Ha ha, it wouldn’t be so bad if not for the lace. The lace just makes it totally fugly.

• Amanda September 23, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I know right LOL

• Lindsay September 23, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Jess looks like she’s gonna cut a bitch on that cover.

And, Jess, you’re gonna have to face it you’re addicted to love.

And how lame are those two if they don’t mind having the Wakefield’s tagging along on their dates.

I’m a little upset at Lila in this book. I can’t really explain why, but the fact she told some dude she was poor and then worries old boy will actually like her better poor just sort of makes me feel a little disappointed in my Lila. She’s way awesomer than that storyline, you know?

“And Sue looks like this horrible girl I used to know, so I automatically hate her.”
    That is the exact reason I hate Mischa Barton.

• Sandy September 23, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I was so blah with this recap UNTIL the last paragraph. Ha ha!! I love it when Jessica spazzes out and makes an ass of herself.

• Shannon September 23, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Lindsay, I know what you mean. I like Lila’s usual confident “this man is gonna like me no matter what” attitude.

Sandy, you know the book just isn’t complete until Jess makes an ass of herself.

• Lori September 23, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Shannon, too bad that’s not added into the twin description identical twins making identical asses of themselves.

I agree the dresses are ugly.

• DarfurHerald September 24, 2009 at 9:24 am

Didn’t Lila get Sue lacy underthings, which Jessica inwardly bitched about? Elizabeth and Todd broke up! What a surprise. Not. And Sue never gets suspicious that her fiancee and Jess are always going off–by themselves–randomly?

• Shannon September 24, 2009 at 9:47 am

DH, yeah, I think Jess was pissed about the lacy underthings.
    Sue seems she’s really stupid, doesn’t she?

• Shannon September 24, 2009 at 11:13 am

Lori, I totally glossed over your comment somehow.
    I think it would be hilarious if part of the Page Two Spiel said something about “even though their personalities were vastly different, Elizabeth and Jessica often made identical asses out of themselves.”

• Lori September 24, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Shannon, that would be awsome!

• girltalkread September 25, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Sue looks like some Mormon child bride, if you ask me.

• Shannon September 26, 2009 at 12:36 am

Ew, Jan, she does. Gross.

• Bailey November 27, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Jeremy looks like Christopher Walkin.

• sandra who is too lazy to log in and is often a pain in the ass August 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm

jeremy looks like he has an itch in his ass and is scratching it (hence you can’t see his hand) and Jessica is like: EW gross no im mad stop scratching your ass. and Liz is like: Dude, seriously? and Sue is too stupid to notice the words SWEET VALLEY HIGH hovering above her head.

Haha, Sandra, I love your comment and your username.

• Kylie90210 May 7, 2013 at 2:45 am

You know, I’m really glad we have one SV book that ends with a cliffhanger wedding interrupting scene. I think if we didn’t? It wouldn’t be as awesome.

• Dane Youssef September 10, 2013 at 6:32 pm

BY DANE YOUSSEF

So… Liz had another affair. But then when she found out Todd had one too, she gets mad and breaks up with him?

Really… which of these two do you hate more?

You kind of wish they could just be friends… with benefits.

You know, like the relationship Todd consistently has with her sister.

Elizabeth Wakefield and Todd Wilkins. No two people deserve each other more. Except Todd Wilkins and JESSICA Wakefield.

No wonder they wound up together.

–All My Best (About The Worst), Dane Youssef