Sweet Valley High #105: A Date with a Werewolf

SVH105Read part one of this miniseries here.

The moral of the story: Werewolves are serious business.

Of course Jessica’s not dead. The dead blond woman lying facedown in Jessica’s bed is Joy Singleton, fiancé of Sheriff Andrew Thatcher. Joy and Andrew, like Luke and the twins, are spending the weekend at Pembroke Manor. After Liz’s screams, everyone gathers near the doorway to the bedroom. Jessica says Joy wanted to switch rooms with her because she couldn’t sleep with the full moon shining in her window. Robert Pembroke starts ordering his servants to call the constable and shit like that, and Liz can’t stand how bossy he’s being. Ugh, I hate when Liz decides she doesn’t like people. She’s so annoying about it.

For the rest of the morning, Liz follows everyone around being suspicious of them. She questions the servants, Maria and Alistair, and they say they saw someone leaving Jessica’s room around four in the morning but they won’t say who. Liz goes up to the bedroom to look for clues because you know she’s a better investigator than the actual police. She finds a tuft of animal hair and a scrap of fabric caught in the doorway. Luke and Liz, through the process of elimination, decide that one of the Pembrokes must be the werewolf.

Lord Pembroke, who owns the London Journal, has been suppressing stories about the murders, using exaggerated stories about the missing Princess Eliana as a cover. Liz is talking to Jessica and she expresses her dislike for Robert. Jessica gets mad and storms off. Eliana has overheard the argument and tells Liz that Robert, a distant cousin of hers, isn’t so bad. Liz explains what happened at Pembroke Manor and asks Eliana why Lord Pembroke would keep the murder out of the newspaper. Eliana says there was a scandal involving the Pembrokes fifteen or twenty years ago, and Lord Pembroke has been terrified of sullying the family name ever since. Liz vows to find out what that scandal was about.

The next day, Liz pretends to be Jessica and goes to talk to Lady Pembroke, ostensibly as a follow up about her mink coat that went missing last week. She asks if Lady P. has any enemies and says it could even be someone holding a grudge for, oh, say, twenty years. Lady P. gets super pissed, calls “Jessica” ill-bred and kicks her out. Robert calls Jessica later and asks her to dinner because he wants her to get along with his mother. Jessica realizes what Liz has done and wants to kill her. Of course, Jessica thinks Liz was out to sabotage her relationship with Robert.

Liz has lunch with Rene, who has finally come around and stopped being so mad at Liz for not being in love with him. She tells him that she and Luke believe the murderer might be a werewolf. Rene tells her that’s ridiculous, and suddenly Liz doesn’t believe in werewolves anymore. Then she and Luke go see The Howling and then Liz believes in werewolves again.

I hate this book.

Not satisfied that she’s completely ruined Jessica’s love life, Liz decides she’d better pull another twin switch and get back out to Pembroke Manor to talk to Robert’s father. We get a chapter inside Lord Pembroke Senior’s head and find out he, like Luke, is a werewolf scholar. The reason he’s been keeping news of these murders out of the paper is because he knows a werewolf is behind it and he wants to be the one to hunt it down and kill it. The only problem is that he’s worried the werewolf might be his son Robert. Liz-as-Jessica calls to ask if she can come talk to him about his wife’s mink. Pembroke thinks it’s really sweet that she wants to impress him by making the story seem more important than it is. He tells “Jessica” that he’s grateful for the changes she’s brought about in Robert and that Robert loves her very much.

When Liz arrives at Pembroke Manor later, the place is a madhouse. Maria the cook has been murdered in the same fashion as all the other murder victims, her throat torn out. Liz explores Robert’s room and finds a robe matching the scrap of fabric found at the scene of Joy’s murder. The robe has a tear in it. Liz goes to the library and starts to pull a book off the shelf. When she does, a secret door opens onto Lord Pembroke’s secret werewolf room. All the trophies on the wall are wolf heads and all the books are about werewolves. It’s weird. Liz opens one of the books and finds an inscription from someone named Annabelle. Liz decides Annabelle, whoever she is, has something to do with this whole thing. What? Liz snoops a little more, but is interrupted by voices from outside the library. She leaves the secret room and hides under the desk in the library. There, she overhears Sheriff Thatcher telling Pembroke to turn over his evidence and out the werewolf. Pembroke says he will, but he wants to talk to his suspect first. Thatcher gives him until ten o’clock that night. As soon as Pembroke goes away, Liz finds a phone and calls the Journal office to tell Luke what she just heard. Tony Frank tells her Luke isn’t there, and then mentions that Jessica took the day off to go to hang out with Robert. Liz freaks out about her sister spending the day alone with a werewolf.

Jessica and Robert have plans to go to Stonehenge, but they don’t actually make it out there. While Liz was calling Luke, Lord Pembroke was calling Robert to tell him to get out of town for a few days. When Robert picks up Jessica, he takes her to breakfast and tells her he has to disappear for a while. Jessica is depressed and decides to go to Harrod’s, figuring shopping will make her feel better. Meanwhile, Liz starts running all over London looking for Jessica. She goes to the newspaper office and tells Tony Frank everything and says they have to find Jessica. Then Jessica comes in all disheveled. Some hairy creature attacked her and now she’s convinced a werewolf is out to get her.

One of the other kids at the boardinghouse, David, discovers that Lina is really Princess Eliana. David is poor, and he and Eliana have been dating. After his discovery, Eliana says he should claim the million pound reward. Liz and Tony Frank arrange a press conference. After Eliana outs herself to the reporters, Sheriff Thatcher kind of takes over and says there’s a warrant out for the arrest of Sir Robert Pembroke, Junior. Jessica is distraught and decides it’s all Liz’s fault.

This book is horrible.

“Don’t make light of werewolves, Jessica,” Luke said in a quiet voice. “They’re very serious business.”

Best quote of the book.

“Lord Pembroke must be some kind of werewolf fanatic,” [Elizabeth] whispered, more because of the eeriness of the room than out of a fear of being discovered. “How creepy!”

Liz talks to herself a lot in this book. In this case, I can just imagine her considering speaking in a normal tone of voice and then deciding a whisper is more appropriate. I hate Liz.

The Cover: I guess that’s Lina and David being all shocked about the newspaper. I’m not sure, but I think that’s Jessica on the tube platform running away from the “hairy creature” that attacked her.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • Sandy September 10, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Or that could be Liz frantically searching for Jess.

And the storyline is for a younger crowd but I’m still curious about the outcome. (Don’t judge me!)

I want to know who the heck Annabelle is.

• Shannon September 10, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Oh, you’re right. That could be Liz.

Just you wait. The outcome is so bad it’s awesome.

• Megan September 10, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I cannot even deal with this. Werewolves. For serious? And yet Nora is too much for them to handle?

• Shannon September 10, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Megan, I know! Ah, Nora. Of the haunted house? She was so awesome.

• Sandy September 10, 2009 at 2:02 pm

LOL!! Her grandpa had a stroke and couldn’t talk and they thought he was saying “murder, murder, murder”. When he was really saying “Nora”

• Lori September 10, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I’m on the edge of my set who could the werewolf be?

Robert Senior didn’t seem so bad except for the creepy werewolf room. Were there really werewolf heads in there?

• Shannon September 10, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Sandy, LOL. That book was so great.

Lori, they were just regular old wolf heads, not werewolf heads. Even so, how creepy would that be? A bunch of wolf heads on the wall? I think I’d run away screaming.

• Lori September 10, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Yeah that would still be creepy. I’d be running away screaming too.

• HelenB September 10, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Usually I do my best to justify Liz’s actions to myself, since I have a secret soft-spot for her, but she really is being a stone-cold bitch in this mini-series. And a stupid one, at that.If she’s the smart, moral twin then why is she the one believing in werewolves and impersonating her sister?!

• cordee September 10, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Oh my. This is just so silly! I just can’t get over the secret werewolf lair! And how Liz can’t decide whether she believes in werewolves or not. And who on earth thought werewolves and Sweet Valley were a good mix? Bring on the zombies!

• Kate September 11, 2009 at 9:27 am

Zoinks!

When did SVH start taking its plot lines from Scooby Doo?

• Katia November 25, 2009 at 11:25 pm

LMFAO…

• Claire April 8, 2010 at 1:43 am

Christ. I remember reading this book years ago and hating it. I hate it even more now…it makes me cringe. What was Francine smoking when she decided to write not just one, but a horrible mini series about a WAREWOLF.
    I love your blog Shannon haha it makes me laugh. I was a huge fan when I was a kid, and I don’t have time to read all the books now. The series on youtube are horrible….I’m unsure as to why I am a fan….Liz is a self righteous stuck up bitch with quite a lot of whoreiness going on considering she’s always on a date with someone else when she has a boyfriend. Jess isn’t much better. Have to agree with you on Lila though…she’s awesome!

• Karla October 2, 2010 at 12:37 am

Oh my, what’s with Princess Lina’s lospided blow doll mouth?

• Anonymous September 27, 2011 at 5:40 am

I loved this book. I love the whole three part series to this. I was such an Anglophile, so this one was right up my alley, and like dumb ass Enid, I just thought the world of Liz, even though sometimes I questioned her actions. I wanted to be a writer, she wanted to be a writer. Sure I wasn’t white like her, but that did not stop me from thinking we were bosom buddies (I was also going through an Anne of Green Gables phase…I was ten). I knew the writing was bad even then, but I watched soaps avidly with my mom and it was like a soap opera for the kids where continuity counted even less.

I loved everything about Sweet Valley! I started reading the books when I was in second grade, the SVT series, in 1992. I loved acting out the parts to my mom while she cooked. My father brought me the entire collection (everything to current I should say as there were still books being printed in the series) for my birthday. And then I begged him to get me the Sweet Valley High Books in the 3rd grade for my next birthday but he was all douchey acting like a proper parent and told me no because it was about high school kids and that was a lot different than me reading Austen or Bronte. But I had his ass…I totally was a saver and so I joined the book club and got four books every month for 11 bucks and they gave you three books from the beginning in order and the newest book. But I couldn’t read the new ones cause I wanted to be in order.

I watched the show, taped it faithfully so that when I got home from church on Sundays it would be waiting for me. I was such a loser. LOL. I even got my waist length hair cut because Jess and Liz did for season two and the balled like a baby about it. Again loser.

But I wouldn’t change it a thing. SV was a part of my childhood experiences! Thanks for writing these reviews. As an adult, I’m like WTF?

Sucky Stackhouse Reply:

Fook, I feel old ballz. I graduated in ’92. Yowza.

I think the term “yowza” just dated me more than admitting I graduated in the early 90s lol.

• Kylie90210 May 7, 2013 at 1:57 am

Yet not creepy that the guy you’re currently in love with is actually also obssessed with werewolves? Oh Lizzz…

• Mad Dog June 17, 2013 at 11:38 am

There are many “hairy creatures” in London. They’re called students. Pretty sure they’re not werewolves. Mebbe Liz was being chased by an undergraduate?