Sweet Valley High #102: Almost Married

SVH102Read part one of this miniseries here.

The Moral of the Story: You might think you love someone else, but you’re really supposed to stay with your first love forever and ever and ever.

The Big Deal: Pool party at the Wakefields’ house

At breakfast one morning, Alice announces she and Hank Patman are going to Chicago again for a week. Liz drags Jessica upstairs and tells her Alice and Hank used to be married and are now having an affair. Jessica wants to just go show the wedding photo to Alice and ask her about it, but Liz doesn’t want her to for some reason.

Todd’s parents are still in Yosemite for another week, Ned is leaving town to go to a seminar or something, and now Alice is going to Chicago. With all four parents out of town, Todd thinks he should move in with Liz. Liz asks Jessica if it’s okay with her, and Jessica says sure, if they do all her chores and make her dinner every night.

As soon as Liz and Todd get “home” after school on Monday, Liz gets a call from Bruce and tells Todd she has to borrow his car and rush right over to the Patmans’ house. When Jessica gets home, she decides it’ll be fun to freak Todd out. She tells him the whole story about Hank and Alice and makes Todd worry that Liz and Bruce are “comforting each other.” In fact, Liz and Bruce are in the Patmans’ attic looking for more old stuff. They find a love letter from Alice to Hank, and then they find Alice’s wedding and engagement rings. After two hours, Liz suddenly remembers that Todd exists and she hurries home to make it up to him.

The next night, Todd wants to have a romantic evening with Liz, but she reminds him they have to do laundry because it’s Jessica’s turn. And I guess the laundry has to be done on Tuesdays or else. Todd thinks it’ll be fun to go to the new “videomat” where they can watch a movie while they do the laundry. Liz overdoses on espressos and acts like she’s drunk, and Todd puts too much detergent in the washer and makes a huge bubbly mess.

The next morning, Bruce shows up at the Wakefields’ house before school. Liz kisses Todd on the cheek and says Bruce is going to give her a ride because he has to talk about something really important. Bruce tells Liz his mother is moving out and he’s really upset about it. Bruce also gives Liz a ride home that afternoon and they go up to the Wakefields’ attic to try to find more stuff. They find a school paper from when Hank and Alice were in college, and there’s an article that details Hank’s heroic food drop. Liz and Bruce simultaneously come to the conclusion that they need to take a trip to the college to find out more about what Alice and Hank were like back then, and maybe they’ll be able to “understand what’s motivating them now.”

Liz has been sort of avoiding Todd because having him at the house is a little too much. Todd wants to fix things, so he goes shopping and comes home with groceries to make a romantic dinner. When he gets to the house, Liz and Bruce are sitting around eating cookies in their swimsuits. Liz says she invited Bruce to stay for dinner, and they go outside while Todd starts cooking. Later, Liz and Todd have a fight and Liz explains she just feels sorry for Bruce. They join Bruce and Jessica in the living room. Bruce sees a note next to the phone and says, “Room four forty-four, that’s my dad’s room.” The twins are all, “No, that’s our mom’s room….Wait a minute!” Jessica thinks it’s just a mistake and wants to call the hotel to make sure, but Liz won’t let her. Why? Oh, I just hate her.

Bruce and Liz sneak off the next day to visit the university. They don’t really find anything useful, but they do make googly eyes at each other and have the exact same thoughts: “If my mother/father could fall in love with Hank/Alice, then it’s not crazy for me to fall in love with Bruce/Liz.” On their way back to Sweet Valley, they see a car broken down on the side of the road. It just so happens to be Todd. They stop to pick him up, and Liz gets all indignant when Todd seems upset that she’s with Bruce. Everyone goes to the Beach Disco that night, and Liz dances with Bruce the whole time. The next day, Bruce and Liz both feel bad and decide to focus more on their relationships with Todd and Pamela.

On Saturday, Todd and the twins are preparing for a totally awesome pool party they’ve decided to throw that night. Then Bruce calls and Liz invites him to go shopping with them. Todd has had enough and blows up at Liz, and she gets all mean and tells him he can just stay home if he doesn’t want to go shopping with Bruce. So he does. I don’t know why he just doesn’t go back to his own house.

At the party, Pamela notices the way Bruce looks at Liz, and she asks him if he has feelings for her. Bruce admits that he does, and Pamela runs off. Bruce goes inside and finds Liz in the kitchen. They start talking about their parents and how much everything sucks, and then suddenly they’re making out. They don’t stop until they notice Todd in the doorway. Bruce goes outside and Todd is pissed. Liz makes it all about her, though, and gets angry when Todd won’t give her the benefit of the doubt. Ugh.

Todd leaves to go driving around to let off steam. He comes to the conclusion that the problems with Liz are partly his fault and he shouldn’t have overreacted when he caught Liz and Bruce together. What?! Your girlfriend was making out with another guy! Todd decides to go back to the party and “really listen” when he talks to Liz.

Pamela comes up to Liz outside and tells her that she and Bruce just broke up, so Liz is free to be with him. Liz thinks about her feelings and decides that since Bruce kissed her and she willingly kissed him back, she must be falling in love with him. Jeez, these kids have a funny definition of love. Liz is upset and confused and she decides to get in the pool. She bounces way too high on the diving board. I guess she hits her head on the bottom or something because she doesn’t resurface. Jessica screams for someone to help her, and Todd just so happens to be coming back from his drive. He jumps in the pool and saves Liz.

Todd takes Liz up to her room, and suddenly Alice comes home. She’s pissed about the party, but also about Todd’s duffel bag in the hallway and his shaving kit in the bathroom. She tells Liz she’s disappointed in her, and Liz accuses Alice of sneaking around with Hank Patman. Instead of being totally pissed off, Alice tells Todd to go find Bruce, and then she has a little story time. She tells the kids about her engagement to Hank and how she left him at the altar. She also explains that room four forty-four is a two bedroom suite at the hotel and she is absolutely not having an affair with Hank Patman. So now everyone’s happy except for Bruce, whose parents are still splitting up. Jessica decides to try to get them back together.

Lila snorted. “They are just so out of it. Don’t they know playing house is totally uncool?”

Oh, how I love Lila.

“We’ll call the hotel and ask. It’s as simple as that.”

Elizabeth grabbed the receiver from Jessica’s hand and slammed it down. “We can’t do that,” she whispered. “We just can’t.”

Jessica doesn’t argue and they just allow themselves to get worked up when they could just call the damned hotel.

The Cover: Todd, you need to find some pants and stop shaving your legs. Also, your breakfast is burning.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • rachierach September 3, 2009 at 12:29 pm

This book had so many typos and inconsistencies in it. OK, so maybe THIS was the last SVH book I read before leaving Francine and her gang in the dust…

• Amanda September 3, 2009 at 12:31 pm

This cover always confused me. Like what happened to Jess likes pink and Liz with her “serious” power blue room. Because their soo different yet so similar so we need a way to tell them appart? Idk I’m clearly too psychoanalytical.

• Sandy September 3, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Videomat, really? Only in Sweet Valley.

And Todd has to stay with Liz while the parents are away or he’ll crap his pants from being scared at home alone.

That kitchen does not look spanish style at all!!! LOL.

• Shannon September 3, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Oh, Rachierach, the typos were ridiculous! I can’t believe it went to print that way.

Amanda, I kind of agree. Jessica should be wearing pink and Liz should be wearing blue.

Sandy, you’re probably right. All alone in that great big house, he’d probably and up calling Winston to come have a slumber party with him.

• Amanda September 3, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Thanks and here I thought I was being too picky:)

• Girl talk read September 3, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Liz acts like the biggest BITCH in this book- I just read it myself not sure I was ever gonna bring myself to recap it- but God I wanted to smack the crap out of Liz this whole damn book!

• Anners Scribonia Caesar September 3, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Who in the hell is Hank?

Love the new website!

This cover, is like, really weird.

• Lori September 3, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Only in Sweet Valley world does a teenage boyfriend move in with his girlfriend while their parents are away and they still don’t have sex.

So Jessica wore blue and had the most sense in the book? That’s a scary thought.

I love how Liz’s cheating is still Todd’s fault. No wonder she’s always cheating on him.

• Shannon September 3, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Amanda, you can never be too picky. There is always something to complain about with these covers.

Jan, I wanted to smack her too!

Anners, sorry, Hank Patman is Bruce’s father. And thanks! I’m pretty happy with it.

Lori, for real. Todd is perfectly happy to sleep on the couch all week. Ugh, they’re SO lame.

• Amanda September 4, 2009 at 12:00 am

Thank you. I’ve been justified. Wow I’m outta touch with reality:)

• Lindsay aka Daners Isadora September 4, 2009 at 11:29 am

“Liz overdoses on espressos and acts like she’s drunk, and Todd puts too much detergent in the washer and makes a huge bubbly mess.”

Oh, El Oh El!! Look at the teenage boy try to do laundry! It thinks it’s people!

And I’ve never noticed how much the ghosties recycle story lines. I mean a Liz/Bruce romance already happened way back in that one mystery where the crazy guy wanted to blow up the SV stadium or something.

And Jeebus help me for bumping Jessica up a notch for her freaking Todd out routine.

Oh, Lila, how can one person be so full of awesome. Why didn’t they branch you out like SV’s version of Rhoda instead of freaking bratty ass Liz? I would pay good money for a Lila spin off.

• Kate September 4, 2009 at 1:49 pm

“Jessica says sure, if they do all her chores and make her dinner every night.”

I love Jessica a little for this. She must have picked it up from Lila.

Also, do the Wakefields not have laundry machines? Pssht. What kind of perfect suburban family has to go to the laundryman to wash clothes? Or was that just for fun?

WTF was that all about with Liz and Bruce? This is the first time I ever feel bad for Todd. He was really and truly cuckolded.

• Shannon September 8, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Lindsay, LOL @ “It thinks it’s people!” I agree. It is not that hard to do laundry. I’m pretty sure even a boy can do it.

Kate, I think Todd was whining because he wanted to go on a date, but Liz was all, “No, Todd, responsibility first!” So they compromised and went to the videomat.

• Katia November 25, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I wish someone would be having a little sex already. This is like the town of never ending virgins.

• Lelandria June 18, 2011 at 4:33 am

The part about their parents reminding them to be careful diving as kids makes zero sense, they just got the pool in book 1.

• Jude November 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm

• Dane Youssef February 15, 2013 at 5:48 am

“I love how Liz’s cheating is still ‘Todd’s fault.’ No wonder she’s always cheating on him.” –Lori

Well-put. She cheats, he cheats. They have an understanding. Condensing affairs. Condensing… well, not quite adults.

“Elizabeth was such a ninny in this one! Why the hell she chose Todd over Bruce I will never know *grin*” –Jude

Because she and Todd don’t just have more in common–they’re the same fucking person! Liz and Todd are… identical.

Still, Liz DOES FINALLY wind up with Bruce in “Confidential” after she finally, FINALLY finds out about Todd’s long-running affair with her twin-sister. How many times were Todd and Jess “making more nasty” than he ever did with Liz?

–Sincerely Asking, Dane Youssef

• Kylie90210 May 7, 2013 at 12:52 am

The fact that Todd actually catches Liz making out with Bruce just shows how much of an idiot he is. There really is no way to come all the way back from something like that i don’t think!

• Kim December 4, 2015 at 7:09 am

“They don’t really find anything useful, but they do make googly eyes at each other and have the exact same thoughts: “If my mother/father could fall in love with Hank/Alice, then it’s not crazy for me to fall in love with Bruce/Liz.””

It’s been so long since I read these books I forgot about a lot of this stuff. Seems the writers have been testing the waters with Liz & Bruce for a while. Guess the Liz/Bruce pairing didn’t come from out of nowhere in SVConfidential.

“With all four parents out of town, Todd thinks he should move in with Liz.”

He was trying to get some.

“The next night, Todd wants to have a romantic evening with Liz”

He was on a mission.

“I don’t know why he just doesn’t go back to his own house.”

Cause he was hoping to get some.

• Kim December 4, 2015 at 7:11 am

There’s no sex in these books cause these books are marketed to kids.

• Natasha April 19, 2016 at 2:56 am

I’ve always hated Liz and now hate her even more. It’s like she was a different person in this book or is it just me? I loved Jessica-having s bit of fun with old Todd. This mini series was so stupid.

I think was where I stopped reading SVH too because Liz so annoyed me in this book.

• Alex Kennedy January 5, 2017 at 4:47 am

I actually felt a bit sorry for Todd in this one. Liz ditched him at every possible moment. Furthermore, what sort of parents leave their 16 year old children alone in the house? I guess that is the Wakefields for you. Absent Alice and Negligent Ned.

• Alex Kennedy January 14, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Elizabeth’s definition of fun: Doing laundry in a place other than one’s home. She sure sounds like excitement personified.

• anon May 12, 2017 at 10:15 pm

I loved the Bruce/Liz action. Todd deserved everything he got, considering he cheated on Liz with her own sister just three books ago. I always thought Liz had a soft spot for Bruce, so it makes sense. Why would Liz stay with Todd after all he did is beyond me. Todd is such a loser.

• Jessica W June 20, 2017 at 7:31 am

This book is so silly. How can parents just leave their children alone in the house while they travel? It just bothers me so much. I is usually the case that when a child/ teenager asks permission to go somewhere, the parent ask a million questions. N. and A. do not seem to do this. Perhaps it is the case that the authors could not be bothered with that level of detail. Furthermore, we already DID the Alice is having an affair thing in SVT!!!!!!!!! “Suddenly Alice comes home…” Yes, Alice you have children to look after – what did she think was going to happen – this is what happens when you leave children unsupervised. She should be put in front of Judge Judy who is highly likely to scream at her and say “You look like a relatively intelligent person, but you CANNOT LEAVE TWO TEENAGE GIRLS alone in the house. I have thirteen grandchildren and I KNOW that once parents leave the house for DAYS, somebody is going to have a party. They’re your children and you need to take care of them. You would not even be able to look after a goldfish!!!”