Sweet Valley High #100: The Evil Twin

SVH100Synopsis:

It’s Christmastime again. The last day of school before the break, the twins each get Secret Santa candy canes. Jessica’s says, “Happy horrordays, Jessica.” Liz’s says, “I’m dreaming of a red Christmas. Wreck the halls with bloody bodies.” Gross. Liz shows hers to Todd, but Jessica keeps hers to herself. This is Margo’s work, of course. She’s hanging around school, spying on Liz, preparing to take over her life. Liz is supposed to meet Enid in the library at four o’clock, but Margo gets there early with plans to go out with Enid in Liz’s place. Enid, however, recognizes that Margo is not Liz, which is cool, but she thinks she’s Jessica instead, which is not very helpful. It does go to show that Alice is a terrible mother because she totally thinks Margo is Liz when Margo walks into the Wakefield house later and hugs her. Margo then goes upstairs to snoop around in Liz’s room. She finds Liz’s diary and spends the next hour reading. Then Liz comes home and Margo hides in the closet. Liz is pissed that her room has been disarranged. She thinks Jessica did it. She goes into the bathroom and Margo makes her escape. Later that night, Jessica goes to Liz to try to make up again, but Liz just yells at her for snooping through her things and tells her to get out.

Jessica’s boyfriend, James, is tired of spying for Margo. He tells Margo he doesn’t want to do it anymore. She says that’s fine, but that she’ll kill James if he ever speaks to Jessica again. This sucks, because James has fallen in love with Jessica. He hates to do it, but he calls Jessica and breaks up with her. Jessica’s having a rotten week.

The day before Christmas Eve, Margo-as-Liz makes a date with Todd, and then Margo-as-Jessica goes shopping with Lila to get something to wear on her date. Lila thinks Jessica is nicer than usual, and Todd thinks Liz is acting strange. At Miller’s Point, he becomes convinced that it’s really Jessica he’s with, so he ends the date early and takes her home. By the time he gets to the Wakefields’ house, he’s changed his mind and thinks he’s with Liz. He goes home all confused.

Christmas Eve dinner the next night is depressing and confusing for Todd when Liz says she was caroling with Enid the night before, and Jessica morosely says she stayed home all night. Christmas morning at the Wakefields’ is equally depressing, I guess just because the twins aren’t getting along. I can’t really figure out what everyone else’s problem is. A few days later, Ned and Alice leave for San Francisco for the fake meeting Margo set up to get them out of the house.

Margo has been breaking into James’ house and leaving him death threats. He’s worried enough to call Jessica to warn her about Margo and then get the hell out of Sweet Valley, but not worried enough to go to the police or anything. He asks Jessica to meet him at the marina and then he packs a bag. Jessica hangs up the phone, and then the storm raging outside makes the lights go out. She stumbles out into the hall and runs into Margo, who’s hanging around being creepy and listening in on phone calls. She’s super pissed that James betrayed her. She goes back to the boardinghouse to change before she heads to the marina to kill James. When she gets to her room, though, she can tell her lock has been picked. She looks through the keyhole and sees Josh, the brother of the kid she killed in Ohio. He’s found her and has not gone to the police. These fucking kids. Instead of going in her room, Margo pretends to loudly tell someone she’s going to the marina. She runs outside, hides and watches Josh get in his car and head in the direction of the marina.

Liz and Todd are out, but Liz wants to stop at home for a sweater. She walks in and finds Jessica in a tizzy because she can’t find her keys and she’s already late to meet James. She begs Liz and Todd to give her a ride. Liz relents in a bitchy way, and the three of them go to the marina.

James is hanging out on the old pier at the marina when Jessica runs up and hugs him. He tells her everything, and then realizes he’s talking to Margo. She pushes him off the pier just as Todd and the twins come running up, and then I guess she disappears and Josh shows up and it looks for all the world like Josh killed James. I don’t really get the logistics of that, but Todd tackles Josh, who suddenly starts spouting off craziness about a murderer who looks just like the twins.

That night, Jessica has the same dream Liz has been having about a twin with black hair trying to kill her. She wakes up screaming and goes to Liz’s room. Liz is dreaming about the Jungle Prom. She’s been having this dream every night, and she’s getting closer and closer to figuring out what happened. Jessica wakes her up, Liz screams, Steven comes in and Margo spies from the hallway as the three siblings calm each other down. Jessica tells Liz her dream, and Liz says she’s been having the same one.

The next morning, Margo pretends to be Jessica and hangs out with Lila for a while. Lila is having a New Year’s Eve ball and that’s when Margo will kill Liz. While Lila is in the shower, Margo walks around the house. She decides the pool house will be the best place to do it. Later, she hangs around outside the Wakefield house until Steve and Liz leave. She figures Jessica is still asleep, so she goes inside, planning to read Liz’s latest diary entry and then leave. Jessica is awake and Margo is thrown off guard, so she’s kind of rude. Jessica is hurt and goes off to the living room. A few minutes later, Todd shows up and leaves with “Liz.”

Poor Josh has been in jail for a few days and he decides he needs to get out there and take care of Margo, law be damned. He pulls the sick prisoner gag and punches out the guard who comes to take a look at him, and then he escapes.

On New Year’s Eve, Liz is taking a nap before getting ready for Lila’s party. She has a dream about the Jungle Prom and wakes up knowing that Jessica spiked her punch that night. She does not question the fact that this knowledge came to her in a dream, she just goes ahead and decides she hates Jessica. Meanwhile, Jessica suddenly can’t live with the guilt of having spiked Liz’s drink and she wants to confess.

At Lila’s, Liz is talking to Enid when she sees Jessica heading in her direction. Liz makes an excuse and runs off, losing Jessica in the crowd. Enid tells Todd Liz went upstairs to the bathroom, but Todd finds both bathrooms empty. He finally finds Liz in one of the guest bedrooms. He wants to go back down to the party, but when Liz says, “We can have our own party right here,” Todd knows something is wrong. It’s clearly not Liz, but “even Jessica wouldn’t go this far.” He demands to know who he’s talking to. Margo hits him with some statue or something and knocks him out. Then she knocks on the door of Lila’s bathroom, where she somehow knows Liz is hiding out, and pretends to be Jessica. Through the door, she says that she wants to talk and will meet Liz at the pool house.

After finding out their whole trip was a hoax, Ned and Alice decided to go home early, but have been having one hell of a time getting back to Sweet Valley due to canceled plane rides, delayed train rides and a crappy rental car. When they finally get into town, Alice’s mother’s intuition tells her they need to go to Fowler Crest. At about the same time, Steve and Billie are watching the news at the Wakefield house and find out Josh escaped from jail. They think they need to go to Fowler Crest. Josh himself is already there, spying.

Liz goes to the pool house and Margo comes out of the shadows. Liz knows it’s not Jessica because Margo is 1.) wearing the same dress Liz is and 2.) holding a very large butcher knife. She does an Evil Villain speech and tells Liz all about her plan. Just as she’s about to bring the knife down, Jessica runs in and puts herself in front of the blade. All three girls wrestle for the knife. Jessica gets it and gets ready to strike, but suddenly can’t tell which one is her real twin. Then Margo leaps forward and gets the knife again. Jessica once more throws herself on top of Liz to protect her.

Outside, Steven tackles Josh and tells Billie to call the police. Then Todd comes outside and says Josh isn’t the killer, it’s a girl who looks like the twins. Everyone goes into the pool house and Josh slams into Margo and knocks her into the window. Margo goes through the window, taking a shard of glass to the jugular while she’s at it. A few hours later, Margo’s body is gone, the cops are listening to Josh’s story and believing it, the twins are friends again and Alice is happy to be with her girls and probably feeling a little smug that her mother’s intuition was correct.

“Now, I’ve told the Beckwiths and the Egberts that we’re going out of town, and if you need anything, you can call them.”

I thought the Beckwiths moved away. It was, like, last week. Annie and Cheryl moved into their old house.

[James] had no hard evidence that she’d committed any crimes or that she intended to commit any…

You mean aside from the note she left (the one where she threatens to kill you) when she broke into your house?

The Cover: This image comes from The Closet*.

SVH100-Inner

Okay, up there is a sad Christmas morning with depressed twins, and Margo looking in the window like mother-in-law deer. Down there, mostly covered up by the bar code, must be Todd getting knocked the fuck out. And then there’s Liz and Margo. Margo’s all, “I have to spit,” and Liz is all, “Hey, don’t I know you?” The expression on Liz’s face and her body language really take away from the vibe I imagine I’m supposed to be getting from the creepy lightning in the background.

*The Closet is apparently no longer active.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments
  • Sandy August 31, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Jessica loses another man to death. And wow, 180 from the first books. Now it’s kill kill kill. And we never hear about why Margo was so demented.

• Merrie August 31, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Francine Pascal meets VC Andrews.

Good eye for detail with the barettes, Margo!

• Lindsay August 31, 2009 at 3:20 pm

“She does an Evil Villain speech and tells Liz all about her plan”

Yes! That is so very Bond villain which makes me like Margo more and more.

Also, Jessica is an idiot. How can she not tell which is her own twin?

Is Liz supposed to be surprised, frightened, dismayed, constipated, or something completely different on that cover?

I’m so very glad I stopped reading the series before this. My head might have exploded.

• Lindsay August 31, 2009 at 3:21 pm

And what’s up with the framed pic of a twin doing the exact same pose as Jess on the cover? It’s weird.

• Anonymous August 31, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I stopped reading the series just before Jungle Prom as well. I had intuition it was only going to go from bad to worse…

I don’t care what anyone says, not recognizing your own sister, girlfriend or daughter is wrong!

• Shannon August 31, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Sandy, I think we’re supposed to think Margo is psychotic because she grew up in foster homes. If only she’d grown up in Sweet Valley with a family like the Wakefields. *tsk*

Merrie, so true! This is a little VCA-esque.

Lindsay, that’s not a framed picture, that’s Margo peeking in the window like a creeper.

Anon, I agree. I really love how Enid is the ONLY person in Sweet Valley who could tell Margo wasn’t Liz right off the bat. It just proves that a.) she’s in love with Liz and b.) she’s a much better friend than Alice is a mother.

• Lindsay August 31, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Holy shit, that’s creepy! I shoulda figured, but I wouldn’t put it past the Wakefield fam of having a Liz shine or something.

• Abi August 31, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Um… don’t these places have alarms or something, where you can tell if someone is creeping into your house? Or is it because in Sweet Valley, nobody locks their house. And shouldn’t Todd be able to recognize his own girlfriend? In the Bachelor (I know, srzly, but it’s relevant), the guy, after meeting the girls ONCE brought in his twin brother to “replace” him to see how many girls would notice- only ONE (out of 25) didn’t figure it out, and even she was like ‘there’s something different about you.’

These kids are idiots. Including Josh, who I actually kinda liked.

Alice is the worst mother ever.

• Lindsay August 31, 2009 at 3:48 pm

“Holy shit, that’s creepy! I shoulda figured, (especially since it’s written in plain damn English right underneath. Hmm, obviously I read English good)

• Shannon August 31, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Lindsay, I was going to point that out but couldn’t figure a way to do it that didn’t sound rude, ha. But you’re right, a Liz shrine isn’t exactly outside the realm of possibility in that house!

Abi, I agree. Sweet Valley is full of fucking morons.

• Sandy August 31, 2009 at 4:27 pm

BTW, I looked up magna and it’s latin for like GREAT,AWESOME etc. ect. Like magna cum laude.

And that just makes calling these books magna even more pathetic.

• Shannon August 31, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Thanks for that, Sandy! I wondered where they came up with that. And yeah, that is pretty pathetic, ha. There is nothing great or awesome about this book.

• Lindsay August 31, 2009 at 5:30 pm

You totally could have pointed it out; I wouldn’t think it rude.

However, I am on vicodin and muscle relaxers which is the excuse I’m giving for not being able to read.

Plus I’m watching this Alexandria Pelosi documentary on the McCain campaign, and after watching some fanatical McCain supporters, I do believe it’s made me dumber.

• Lori August 31, 2009 at 5:56 pm

This was my favorite book SVH book. Margo was a busy girl planning a murder, pretending to be Liz and Jess, killing James and framing Josh for it.

But I knew I was done or outgrown SVH when I wanted Margo to kill Liz. Margo as Liz would have been awsome.

James and Josh are so dumb. They both know she’s dangerous and doesn’t bother to go to the cops.

I love how Margo waltzes in and out of the house and no one notices an extra person. If my mother and boyfriend couldn’t tell me apart from a twin or insane twin I think I’d kick both out of my life.

I love how everyone assumes Margo is Jessica not Liz or you know someone else.

I don’t know how far Margo fell out of the window. Where they on the second floor? I’m not sure how that supposely killed Margo.

(then again maybe that’s why she didn’t die)

• Shannon August 31, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Lori, I really don’t get how the “fall” was supposed to kill her either. I read the passage a few times and didn’t see any reference to what floor they might be on, but most pool houses are ground floor buildings. It’s all very vague and confusing. I don’t know if it’s the fall or the glass to the jugular that’s supposed to have killed her.

Oh, Lindsay. Why would you watch such a thing? Turn it off!

• Lindsay August 31, 2009 at 6:22 pm

But it’s making fun of the fanatical McCain supporters! So it’s cool. But it makes me scared for my fellow Americans.

• Anonymous February 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I know this is probably kinda missing the point, but there’s one thing I totally love about these books.
    How many people out there look like a) Tricia Martin or b) one of the twins?

• Darren July 21, 2010 at 3:45 am

So we have:
    Suzanne Devlin, Christmas 1
    Followed by Margo Christmas 2, then a New Year’s Day
    (But we had a Winter carnival when Elizabeth goes through ‘It’s a Wonderful LIfe’ after thinking her twin died.
    Christmas 3, this Jeremy and Sue character.
    How can you ahve 3 Christmases in one year, and then 2 proms in one year? Please explain the madness, Shannon.

I wish I could, Darren. The people who wrote this stuff must have been high.

Meredith Reply:

There has always beeen these type of things in SVH books, the same thing could be said for the number of Spring Breaks they have had as well. Not to mention the fact that the prom was in Spring and this takes place around the holidays so the twins should at least be seniors by now! And there is ALWAYS inconsitence with sports, I mean in one book it’s football season, then in another one it’s basketball season, and then back to football and even sometimes tennis since it’s mentioned that Bruce has tennis meets but those sports take place in different seasons, LOL! And also, the Margo sequel was after the Jeremy and Sue thingy.

• princess me May 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

I love this book coz it’s so freakingly bad. It makes it awesome. Plus, Margo is just so freakin insane that’s she’s off the radar insane. Loved it. It was so out there, it was so amazing.

And then, my god, The Return of the Evil Twin. Pure Awesome Sauce with how stupid that one was.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

• Rhilly July 2, 2011 at 3:05 pm

So Margo has the exact same voice as the twins aswell?

Rachel Reply:

No i think Margo just learn to mimic their voices.

• Callie November 22, 2012 at 1:52 am

LOL what kills me about this is that Margo had a knife not a gun so Liz could have easily turned and run away as fast as she could back to the party and yelled for help! The whole evil villian speech thing was so hilarious!

• Kylie90210 May 7, 2013 at 12:15 am

Ahh and all is right with the world. How do they come up with stuff like this? I don’t know, and I don’t care. Soo many bad things about this book, but ultimately, it was craptastically awesome.

• Krista November 2, 2013 at 5:07 pm

You know…if I remember correctly, I don’t think Liz or Jess ever told ANYONE about Jessica spiking Liz’s drink. At least, no one ever mentions it again.

I love that Margo wanting to have sex is what tipped off Todd that something was seriously wrong. God, the teens in SV suck.

• Kim December 1, 2015 at 7:39 am

I don’t think Margo actually intended to sleep with him. I think she would’ve just seduced him, killed him to get him out of the way, then went on to her real plan which was go out to the pool house to kill Liz.

Weave Hair Extensions

Shannon’s Sweet Valley High Blog » Blog Archive » Sweet Valley High #100: The Evil Twin

• Alex Kennedy July 9, 2016 at 5:54 am

Ahhh, another Christmas in Sweet Valley. This time it is not about Christmas ghosts or Christmas Eve happening again and again. This is indeed one of the more sinister and ridiculous books from the series. Why is it that Enid can sense that she is not speaking to the right twin and good old Mrs W apparently does not know who is whom? Maybe she should have checked Elizabeth for that mole she apparently has on her right shoulder.

The Wakefields’ trip seems slightly ridiculous. Mr W should have made the right enquiries before he embarked upon the trip. Tut, tut Mr W. I hope that you are a better lawyer than a father. (Usually I like Mr Wakefield).

• IN LOVE WITH MATTHEW!!!! October 25, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Margo always seemed to me like a younger version of Sheila (The Young and the Restless)

• Alex Kennedy November 24, 2016 at 10:28 am

At the beginning of the book, when Margo enters the library and sees Enid, she immediately says: “You’re not Elizabeth!” Yet, Margo is able to fool Mrs W.

• Kristina Rodriguez March 8, 2017 at 2:04 pm

This book is great yet stupid at the same time. Maybe the people were high when they wrote this book.

• Alex Kennedy April 18, 2017 at 7:36 am

Such an obsession with twins!!! In “Jessica takes Manhattan,” Lila spots a woman who looks just like her (namely a princess). Then the boy twins with whom both girls fall in love.