Sweet Valley High #97: The Verdict

SVH097Synopsis:

Elizabeth: Liz’s trial is starting, and Alice Wakefield is losing her marbles, running around offering snacks and washing windows while Liz and Ned go over their defense. A defense, by the way, that sucks ass because Liz cannot remember anything, no matter how many times the jerkface prosecutor asks her what happened the night of the prom.

Jessica: Jessica is still hanging all over Todd and ending most family scenes by running out of the room. She knows Todd feels bad about Liz, but she tells him he has to choose where his loyalties lie. The night before Liz’s trial starts, Todd and Jessica go to the Beach Disco and make out during a slow dance. A few days later, Jessica finds a letter Todd has written to Liz, and she snaps when she realizes she doesn’t really want Todd anyway. All she wants is Sam. This doesn’t make her give up, though. If anything, she hangs on to Todd more tightly, telling him Liz read his letter and threw it away. For some reason, she goes to the courthouse for the last day of Liz’s trial.

Todd: Todd sucks. He goes to Liz’s trial and it makes him feel guilty for what he’s been doing with Jessica. He tells Jessica it feels wrong to be with her, but keeps making out with her. He’s all torn up, so he goes to visit Steve, of all people, who is not happy to hear that Todd has been cheating on one little sister with the other. That night, Todd writes Liz a letter and asks her to give him a sign. He’ll go to her trial every day, and when she wears the bracelet he gave her, he’ll know it’s okay for him to talk to her.

Lila: Lila’s mother tells her the story of why she left Sweet Valley to go live in Paris: Grace wanted a separation from George, but George didn’t. When Grace took Lila and went to her parents’ house, George filed for divorce and sued for custody. Lila decides she’s going to get her parents back together.

Steven: Steve has a crush on his roommate, Billie, and she’s a really good listener when he talks about his family. When a classmate says there’s a rumor that Steve’s mom is in a nuthatch or something, Steve accuses Billie of blabbing. Billie is hurt and says she’s moving out. Then Steve finds out that Jessica told Amy and Lila that Alice was losing it. He apologizes to Billie and they make up.

Bruce: Pamela Robertson has transferred to Sweet Valley High in the hopes of getting away from her reputation as a slut at Big Mesa. Bruce still won’t give her the time of day, and Cousin Roger thinks it’s his fault because he was one of the many people who tried to warn Bruce about Pamela’s sluttiness. Poor Pamela doesn’t have any friends because everyone at Sweet Valley already knows about her, and Roger feels bad. He decides to befriend her himself, but Pamela doesn’t trust his motives. When Lila and Amy ask her to have a soda with them, she decides to give them a try. The three of them become friends, and Amy has a talk with Bruce about the way he’s judged Pamela. Bruce realizes Amy is right and feels bad. Then one day, Bruce sees a Big Mesa asshole trying to get Pamela to take a ride with him. Pamela is scared and crying, so Bruce just runs up and punches the guy in the face. Then he kisses Pamela.

Margo: Margo rides the Big Grey Dog all the way from Houston to Los Angeles, where she buys a train ticket to Sweet Valley. While waiting for her train, she sees Josh, the older brother of the boy she killed in Cleveland. Margo makes a scene, acting like Josh is bothering her, and then runs out of the restaurant. She exchanges her ticket and hops on the train currently leaving for San Diego instead. When she finally gets to Sweet Valley, the first place she goes is the mall to buy a blond wig.

The outcome: On the last day of Liz’s trial, a kid named Gilbert is called as a surprise witness. He was out driving drunk the night of the prom, and he caused Liz to crash. Jessica is all happy for a minute because that means her spiking Liz’s drink didn’t cause Sam’s death, Gilbert did. Then she notices that her whole family is rallied around Liz, hugging her and whatnot. She gets all sad and leaves with Todd. Liz tries to talk to her a few nights later, but Jessica ignores her and leaves the room.

But Mom’s only in Sweet Valley temporarily, Lila reminded herself. Nothing lasts forever. If I can’t count on the stability of the Wakefields, what can I count on?

If this mess hasn’t taught you that the Wakefields are even more fucked up than most families, nothing will.

Roger heaved a discouraged sigh. This was a repeat of many conversations he’d had with Bruce since he came to live in Sweet Valley after his mother’s death.

The continuity is even worse in these books than in the first ninety-four. Roger already lived in Sweet Valley when his mother died. Remember? He was poor, Lila had a crush on him, blah blah blah.

I will kill Bruce Patman. Her punishment?

The Cover: Okay, Margo is freaking me out. She looks really scary. And the Sweet Valley courthouse is pretty imposing, too. Liz’s shirt is horrible.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • Merrie August 26, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Cover Comment: “Now a hit TV series”

Was it? Was it really? I think the marketing department was trying a bit too hard with that one.

• Girl talk read August 26, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I literally HATE Jessica in this series- I know she’s upset over Sam but she is acting like a devious little douchebag with no consideration for anyone else whatsoever. She knows that she did wrong! Makes me ILL! And Ned Wakefield is a sucky ass lawyer just as I always thought.

• Lindsay aka Daners Isadora August 26, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Liz is looking like a 40 year old divorcee more and more on these new covers.

These new covers are way too busy and whomever designed them is an idiot.

But, Steve’s mom is a nuthatch. She’s also a horrid mother.

Oh, Lila, honey, trying to get your divorced parents back together never works out the way it does in The Parent Trap. Believe me, I know. Just forget about it, move your happy ass as far away from Sweet Valley as you can because they will never let you be awesome.

• Jenna August 26, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Lila should move to Paris with her mom where she can shop all day and really work on embracing her awesomeness. She is sixteen after all, and should have a say in which parent she lives with.

I remember being so excited that Margo was coming to San Diego. I think this was one of the first few books that my hometown was mentioned and I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

Jessica and Alice Wakefield are the family sociopaths. Bonafide nuthatch’s. And Todd is a complete moron and an asshole for ditching Liz and making out with her twin sister. Why does nobody (in Sweet Valley) seem to think this is as huge of a deal as I do? Really? I’d MURDER my sister if she made out with my boyfriend! (and chop his balls off…)

• Kate August 26, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I just figured out why the floating heads don’t look anything like the actual twins and why the covers are all weird and new. They released the covers at the same time as the tv show. I noticed that the floating heads look more like the girls on the show than the previous covers, but I didn’t realize that was the whole point. The floating heads are obviously modeled after them for continuity, but the rest of the portraits are still a bit more like the old ones.

In any case, I hate these covers!

Darren Reply:

I wondered about that too for in book 6, Steve goes ape you know what on tODD, AND THEN ACTS LIKE a douche and talks like Victor Newman to old todd! This was just sad.

• DarfurHerald August 26, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Josh-the-drunk-driver? I smell deus ex machina… I think they made these books to try and kill the series, but some moguls tried to revive it thinking it would bring in $$$ and ‘SVU’ and ‘Senior Year’ and ‘Elizabeth’ came along… (oh, BTW…I am/used to be “YASoup”. My new series blog is http://riverheightsgirl.blogspot.com/ ).

• Misty August 26, 2009 at 1:56 pm

“Laughing at his own wit, Bruce climbed into the Porsche and started the engine. He didn’t give Pamela another glance – that was part of her punishment…”

Bruce sounds like an alphhole hero (TM Smart Bitches, Trashy Books) from a bad romance novel. I know that Pamela has some self-esteem problems, but she really needs to steal Bruce’s car and run him over with it.

This cover continues the commemoration of questionable fashion choices of the day. Oh Liz, Ned should have told you that dressing like an extra from “Days of Our Lives” (that hot roller hair! that blouse! those shoulder pads) would not endear you to the court.

• Shannon August 26, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Merrie: I love how they beat us over the head with the TV SERIES!!! stuff all the time.

Jan: I absolutely agree. Jessica is horrible.

Lindsay: LOL @ Liz looking like a divorcee. She so does.

Jenna: Yes! Lila should move to Paris. She’s way too fabulous for Sweet Valley anyway.

Kate: Steve is a robot, don’t forget. He was mad for a second and then his circuitry fried because of the stress of showing emotion.

DarfurHerald: I knew you used to be “Enid Rollins” but I don’t think I knew you had another blog. By the way, your theory makes a lot of sense.

Misty: I would love to see Pamela steal 1bruce1 and run him over. And yeah, you hit the nail on the head with Liz looking like a Days of Our Lives extra. I can see it.

• Sandy August 26, 2009 at 2:31 pm

“Then one day, Bruce sees a Big Mesa asshole trying to get Pamela to take a ride with him. Pamela is scared and crying, so Bruce just runs up and punches the guy in the face. Then he kisses Pamela.”

So they were making out while a guy was laying on the ground? Awesome!

• DarfurHerald August 26, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Yeah, Shannon, I had my Enid Rollins alias while I was struggling with WordPress (they make it a little tricky to change usernames). Then I decided to make a Twitter extension of my Darfur WordPress blog, and I also developed a Nancy Drew blog (I also occasionally snark Lurlene McDaniel, SV, and the occassional new teen book. I’m going to start snarking my favorite cheesy girl-and-horse series)

• Lori August 26, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Margo’s finally arrived! Now the fun can begin. Or contiune. I love that charactor.

If I found out my sister was making out with my boyfriend I would kill both. If I found out my sister spiked my drink which caused me to crash a car kill someone and let me hang for it she would be begging for death.

Why was proscutor stunned Liz couldn’t remember the accident because she was drunk? Ah most people drunk don’t remember anyone.

• megan August 26, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I was sad when the tv series came on, because it was on a channel we didn’t have and I couldn’t watch it! I think it was on the WB or something like that.

I’m kind of glad now that I couldn’t watch it. Lol.

• the es word August 26, 2009 at 9:52 pm

“I will kill Bruce Patman. Her punishment?”

LOLZ.

• Lorelai August 26, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Is it wrong that I love Bruce Patman? Because I do. I realise that he has some sort of personality disorder and rightly belongs in therapy, but I think we could make it work.

PS the 1bruce1 community has some recaps of the 1st season of the TV series, if anyone’s interested.

• Jessica Squits the Quad December 28, 2010 at 11:14 pm

“Roger already lived in Sweet Valley when his mother died. Remember?” Maybe being poor is tantamount to not REALLY being a part of Sweet Valley…like, they don’t count the poor (and the drunks up at Kelly’s) in their population.

Hey, you forgot to mention the celebratory dinner they have at the end of the book. And of all the insensitive things the Wakefields have done, I’m pretty sure that having a dinner to celebrate the fact that Elizabeth got off scott-free for killing Jessica’s boyfriend takes the cake.

But that “surprise witness” totally deserved life imprisonment; he’s chubby, still lives at home, and *GASP!* goes to community college! Plus, he’s not FROM Sweet Valley, he was just there on the night of the accident.

• princess me May 1, 2011 at 10:11 am

LOVE Billie Winkler. She is the bomb. Much more awesome than St Tricia Martin and Cara Walker put together. *le gasp, how very dare i…*

Long live Billie. (I’m pretending that pile of crap Confidential never came out.)

RIP Sam, you were way too good for Jessica anyways. You should have been falling in love with and hooking up with Lila Fowler dammit.

• bayerngirl74 May 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Why is Cybil Sheppard on the cover of a SVH book?

WordPress should have a Like button for comments.

• Angela2BPecked May 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Liz looks like a blonde Kate Mulgrew, the captain in Start Trek Voyager!….Odd

Kathryn Rebecca Reply:

Oh my god, that is exactly what I was going to say! She totally does!

• thepixiechick August 6, 2012 at 3:43 am

I think they left a letter off the label on the cover – it was meant to say “now a SHit TV series” 😉

• Dane Youssef September 1, 2012 at 4:56 am

I honestly thought this was the better books in this damned entire little series. Well really, the whole prom story arc. This was enthralling. Jessica’s soap-diva evil was at an all-time high and entertaining. “Dallas” and “90210” territory. The books that mentioned the whole ugly prom ordeal–#94-97.

I enjoyed the prom and trial where betrayal was committed in more ways than one. It was sinfully enjoyable the way Jessica saw Liz’s victory of Prom Queen and usurping of the guy she wanted as the ultimate betrayal. And what does she do? She gets her own identical (yet polar opposite) twin sister arrested and covets her boyfriend.

The two have the red hot, steamy burning liaison she’s wanted since she first laid those baby sea-green blue eyes on him–even before her sister’s, dammit. There it is. Sweeter than sweetest. Now THAT’S sibling rivalry. And Liz never finds out. Liz’s affairs were fun. But Todd making time with Jess is worth MORE than its weight in gold… Todd and Jess really WERE two of a kind, weren’t they?

–For This High-Point In The Series, Dane Youssef

• Dane Youssef November 24, 2012 at 1:27 am

Absolute scientific fact there, Merrie. It WAS a rating bonanza early on, but… after a few episodes, the thing just became unwatchable. They ruined it. Raped, molested and sodomized what this damn series was about beyond all possible recognition and the slight hope of forgiveness. It wasn’t just unfaithful to the books–it was just terrible.

Notice you can watch them for free on YouTube as they know there’s no point trying to get people to pay good money for it–who would? Even those who “collected ’em all,” who treated this series as their religion was repulsed. Read the books…

The old mantra “The book(s) were better…” have never been more true.

–For The True “Sweet Valley,” Dane Youssef

• Dane Youssef February 14, 2013 at 7:07 am

“I can’t believe how insane everything has gotten in Sweet Valley. I’m with Jenna. I’d totally kill my sister and castrate my BF if this ever happened to me — but does Liz even know about that yet? And why didn’t Steve beat the crap out of Todd when he learned about this?” –Kate

Because Steve was no better. He had been cheating himself. He’s not one to throw any stones, really. But of course, it’s “Sweet Valley.” Infidelity is all they do. Besides… poor Steven was way off the mark. He guessed, “Instead of trying to fix things with Liz, you’re dating Jessica to get back at Liz. So that’s where Jess has been!”

Sorry, Doctor Wakefield. False diagnosis. Todd hasn’t been dating Jessica to hurt Elizabeth. It’s the other way around. Jessica went psycho–well, FURTHER psycho. Jessica wants to hurt her sister. In Jess’ own warped little “mind,” Elizabeth has stolen Jessica’s heart, her love… so now Jessica is trying to do the same. In her mind, this is… “justice.” Steven doesn’t even realize this at all. He just doesn’t know his own sister.

Wake up, Steve! This is Jessica we’re talking about! Get a clue… you should know the viper your sourer is BY NOW. Todd is, in the words of Jess’ friends: “… an eagle scout.” Poor boy doesn’t know what’s what.

“Steven restored a little love by laying into Todd. Of course if he were a good brother Todd probably wouldn’t be breathing.” –Lori

Somehow… I don’t think Steven could really take Todd. Five seconds of a scuffle and Steven would be the one flat-lining.

Just saying…

Nice talking to you all. Let’s keep the discussion alive and well. The debate is what keeps us alive.

–All The Best Possible, Dane Youssef

• LooksLikeCRicci May 2, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Wait… SURPRISE witness?!? That’s not permissible by the laws of evidence. I’m a prosecutor! I know this!

I also know this blog is the funniest thing I’ve read in years. Loving the snark! I can’t believe I didn’t realize how crappy these books were when I was younger… 🙂

• Kylie90210 May 6, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Ugh, the fact that Liz wasn’t the one who killed Sam just annoys me. OWNERSHIP! Gah.

• Dane Youssef September 8, 2013 at 7:17 am

MY VERDICT ON “SWEET VALLEY” NO: 97 by Dane Youssef

Hear ye, hear ye. We will now come to order. The honorable, distinguished, fair and benevolent Dane Youssef now preceding. All rise.

It’s been a great ride so far, but now Elizabeth Wakefield is going to adjudication for what happened in that car the night of prom. And… so will her sister Jessica. And her philandering boyfriend Todd Wilkins.

Yup. Here it is, at last. Sweet closure The grand concluding passage in the “Sam car-crash death Homecoming Prom Trials.” The very final chapter in the saga.

And as we all know…normally, the last act in any series is the weakest. (Return of the Jedi, The Godfather: Part III, Spider-Man III, Blade III, X:3, The Dark Knight Also Rises, Matrix Revolutions, Batman & Robin, etc).

Usually because they’re just trying to tie up loose ends and give us poor optimistic viewers some kind of closure. They’re always so anti-climatic. Part of the reason part three or four is so…

What? It is. Oh God, you’ve got to be kidding. Oh dear whatever high entity, tell me you’re joking please.
    Excuse me. My mistake. This is actually part five. Even worse, folks. Situation’s even more critical.
    And yet, it’s not. In fact, it’s more than worth reading. This is the big pay-off. Oh, it delivers.

I know I’m just the likes of one person. This is only one person’s review and to be honest, not even a professional literary critic–or critical pro of anything. I can critique at a level of Pauline Kael, but not get paid or receive recognition on such a plain.

But me… I honestly thought this was the better books in this damned entire little series. The entire prom story arc. The Sam-Liz trials. The Jess/Todd affairs. This was enthralling. Jessica’s soap-diva evil was at an all-time high and entertaining. “Dallas” and “90210? territory. The books that mentioned the whole ugly prom ordeal–#94-97.

The two have the red hot, steamy burning liaison she’s wanted since she first laid those baby sea-green blue eyes on him–even before her sister’s, dammit. There it is. Sweeter than sweetest. Now THAT’S sibling rivalry. And Liz finds out. How? Jessica tells her, the poisonous Judas harpy. And still holds Liz in contempt.

All of the hot tawdry back-alley affairs in this book series were always fun. But Todd making time with Jess is worth MORE than its weight in gold… Todd and Jess really WERE two of a kind, weren’t they?

No. They weren’t. And that’s the point. See how everyone answers for this one.
    Verdict–a must-read for any long-time fancier of the town of “Sweet Valley.”

Court is indeed adjourned.

-–For One Hell of A Prom Night, Dane Youssef

• Krista November 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Her hot-shot lawyer father didn’t consider that maybe Liz had been drugged or roofied?

• Kim December 6, 2015 at 11:22 pm

“When a classmate says there’s a rumor that Steve’s mom is in a nuthatch or something, Steve accuses Billie of blabbing. Billie is hurt and says she’s moving out. Then Steve finds out that Jessica told Amy and Lila that Alice was losing it.”

High school kids gossiping somehow becomes news on a college campus?

“Jessica is all happy for a minute because that means her spiking Liz’s drink didn’t cause Sam’s death, Gilbert did.”

So she finds something/someone else to keep her from owning up & taking responsibility for her role in her boyfriend’s death.

“Then she notices that her whole family is rallied around Liz, hugging her and whatnot. She gets all sad and leaves with Todd.”

I’m still not understanding why Todd isn’t supporting Liz.

“I will kill Bruce Patman. Her punishment?”

He’s a loser who gets off on treating women like shit. I seriously hate this character.

• hippiegeekgirl February 9, 2016 at 1:05 am

Being a 40 (plus a bit) divorcée myself, I wish I could snark on the observation that Liz is what we look like. Sadly though, there’s a lot of truth in that. Lol

• Alex Kennedy July 12, 2016 at 2:23 pm

“What’s she doing here anyway?” – Bruce in reference to Pamela.

“Has she slept with all the guys in Big Mesa? Did she switch schools so she could make some new conquests?”
    (Page 26)
    LOL

• Alex Kennedy July 12, 2016 at 2:58 pm

I know that I am being overly fussy, but in a real criminal trial it would never commence with the Defendant giving evidence. I am not 100% sure of American Law, but I am under the impression that the Prosecution Solicitors must open their case, followed by the Defending Solicitors.

• YVA5UjthYu1 August 27, 2016 at 10:36 pm

358705 9693You should participate in a contest for probably the greatest blogs on the web. I will recommend this web website! 961269

• Jessica is Evil March 29, 2017 at 5:51 am

Is there even such a thing as “surprise witnesses” anymore? The Prosecution needs to give all of their evidence to the Defendant and vice versa. It is called “Disclosure” and that means that neither side can call fora surprise witness. Furthermore, in most cases, the Defendant has to wait months and months before his or her trial is heard.

• Dane Youssef May 11, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Ah, the arrest. Poor, poor Elizabeth goes away and is about to get sent up the river—not only for a crime she didn’t commit, but one her sister did. And this is before every book in the series was pretty much about this. I have to admit—I have to come completely and totally clean, I did enjoy… not only this book, but also this entire plot thread.

The best, I think is when there’s a particular story arc that takes more than one book to tell. But… I’ve also enjoyed some of the “Secret Diaries” as well. Jessica’s, really with Todd (Part II) was my personal favorite. And as for “The Prom,” well… I enjoyed—No, I savored all of it.

Such drama… This is when the evils of one Jessica Wakefield and the dramatic plot threads stop seeming life-sized and every day. You despise Jessica for it all, how can you not? But at the same time, you ask if Elizabeth deserves any of the misfortune coming her way.

Because now—she was at that prom with Todd, she did go to dance with Jessica’s boyfriend (of the moment, of course). Elizabeth was less monogamous than Tony Parker on a binge. Even Brad Pitt kept it in his pants more than “Liz” did. The only person who was less monogamous than Elizabeth was Jessica… with Todd.

The one exception in this run that wasn’t really to my taste has Margot torturing some little boy named George. I dunno. I guess it does show what babysitters really do to your own poor defenseless little kids when there are no other witnesses. I experienced this myself personally at a very young age for pretty much most of my pre-pubescence.

It does sort of make a point about this sort of ugliness that takes place behind closed doors—the worst part is when you try to report such matters to your parents, the people who are supposed to love and protect you the most—and they’ll do absolutely nothing because A): It’s more work than they want to give. B): They’re afraid to lose that babysitter’s business. C): It’s cheap and they’re more interested in saving money than getting their money’s worth. D): They don’t want the trouble of having to go out there, research and find someone else.

Ugh… ugly personal history for me.

Real personal, as anyone can tell by reading this.

So… yeah. When all was said and done… this really was a good one.

Thanks for your time… and Shannon, thanks for everything… absolutely everything…

–Never Anything But Sincere, DANE R. YOUSSEF

• Jessica is Evil June 15, 2017 at 2:19 pm

This whole “mini series” was entirely silly. Jessica was not speaking to her sister but is was all HER FAULT. At the beginning of the book, Liz obviously cannot remember anything and it seems strange that people keep prompting her to try and remember – which is stating the obvious. In real life, the case would have taken months or years to even go before a judge and there would have been numerous adjournments etc. I think what annoys me the most is the fact that Jessica was responsible for EVERYTHING and yet she comes out smelling like roses and everyone feels sorry for her. Elizabeth was willing to give up the crown to her sister. Jessica’s mindset was that Liz was drunk and should not have gotten into the car. Elizabeth DID NOT KNOW. It also infuriates me that no one (ie classmates etc) ever finds out the truth. I think that Jess finally confesses, but if anyone had done that to me, I would be less inclined to forgive them. It is quite a sadistic thing to do. Furthermore, there is a girl who looks EXACTLY LIKE the twins, save for her dark hair of course. I was re-reading this book on the train today and it just made me purely irritated. It reminded me of another SV book where Jessica experiences Christmas Eve again and again. It was a “Super Special” and was entitled “The Year without Christmas.” The basic premise was that the kids did a Secret Santa thing and Jess picked Liz and Jess “like totally forgot” to purchase a present for her sister. She then tries to pass someone else’s gift for Liz as her own and the day keeps repeating itself over and over and over and over until Jess makes the “right decision.”