Sweet Valley High #96: The Arrest

SVH096Synopsis:

Liz has been charged with involuntary manslaughter. The detectives keep asking her questions, but she has no recollection of drinking the night of the prom, or of leaving the school. She’s put in a holding cell with a prostitute. I can’t believe there’s even one prostitute in Sweet Valley. Ned calls Steve, who almost faints when he hears Liz will be spending the night in the police station’s holding cell. Jessica is still feeling as depressed as ever, but she’s decided to pretend to be her old self again. She’s also decided that the only thing that will really make her feel better is if Liz goes down for murdering Sam.

Her first day back at school after being released, everyone avoids Liz except Enid. Enid sets her bag down next to Liz at lunch and then goes to get her food. While she’s gone, Liz sees a newspaper sticking out of Enid’s bag. She grabs it and sees her own picture on the front page and an article about how she’s going to stand trial. Liz gets it into her head that Enid meant for her to find the newspaper and embarrass her, so she runs out of the cafeteria. What she doesn’t know is that Jessica stuck that paper in Enid’s bag when Enid walked past her. Phase two of Jessica’s revenge involves Todd. She calls him crying about how much she misses Sam, and manipulates Todd into offering to hang out with her the next night.

Lila seems to think her mother’s visit is going to solve all her problems, and Amy is worried. Jessica is annoyed because Lila never shuts up about her mom. Pamela calls Bruce and he agrees to listen to her explanation for staying out all night with some guy. Olivia, who is suddenly referred to as Nicholas Morrow’s best friend, has entered Nicholas to be on a dating show called Hunks. He’s a good sport about it, but gets set up with a weird biker chick named Jakki.

There’s a weird chapter here that’s very Lost. Lila is going to meet her mother for the first time. She pulls out of her driveway and almost hits a chick on a motorcycle. The chick is Jakki, on her way to pick up Nicholas. Nicholas waves to Bruce from the back of Jakki’s bike. Bruce is on his way to meet Pamela. He has a red rose, but decides he’ll look weak if he gives it to her. He tosses it out the window, then pulls up next to Steve Wakefield at a light. Steve is lost in thought and almost hits a girl crossing the street. The girl is Pamela, on her way to meet Bruce. Mrs. Wakefield takes Liz to the mall to try to make her feel better. Liz is miserable and goes outside. She sees Todd drive by (he’s on his way to meet Jessica at the movie theater) and starts crying. She cries even harder when she sees a red rose on the hood of her mother’s car.

Jakki takes Nicholas to some biker bar called Club Mud. Nicholas calls Olivia to come pick him up. Lila meets her mother, but also her mother’s boyfriend, Pierre. He’s kind of a douchebag.

Pamela wants to tell Bruce her story, which is that she had dated some asshole named Jake Jacoby who wanted her to “go all the way” with him. When she wouldn’t, he dumped her, but told everyone he’d gotten laid. After that, all the boys started asking her out, then dumping her when she wouldn’t have sex with them, either. But all of them lied and said she did because nobody wanted to be known as the guy she wouldn’t sleep with. So now everyone thinks Pamela is a total whore. She went out with Jake to try to get him to tell people the truth about her, but he just got pissed and kept her out all night just to be mean. It was him Bruce saw bringing Pamela home that day. Pamela doesn’t get a chance to say any of this because as soon as she sits down with Bruce, Jake and two other guys come up to their table and start taunting them. Bruce leaves the restaurant.

Todd and Jessica both have a horrible time at the movie, but Jessica says she doesn’t want to go home yet. She suggests a walk on the beach, so off they go, past the Dairi Burger where everyone can see them together. On the beach, Todd mentions Sam, and Jessica starts crying. Todd hugs her and says he knows how she feels because he misses Liz so much. This pisses Jessica right off, but she pretends it doesn’t and holds Todd closer.

Liz has a meeting with the lawyer Ned found for her, Alan Rose. Mr. Rose is kind of a jerkface and alternately talks about how much alcohol was in Liz’s system and how uncooperative she’s being by saying she doesn’t remember anything about the crash. Hello, you’re the one sitting there talking about how drunk she was, and you’re surprised she can’t remember anything? Ned fires Mr. Rose and decides to represent Liz himself.

The next day, Steve takes Liz to the park and they see Todd and Jessica holding hands. The day after that, Enid and Liz are driving by Todd’s house and they see the twins’ Jeep in his driveway. Steve is worried about both his sisters, but pushes everything aside for a minute to find himself a roommate for his new off-campus apartment. He answers an ad by a Billie Winkler, who shocks him by turning out to be a girl. Steve’s an idiot.

Nicholas’ second date, Susan, is just as bad as his first, but the third girl is awesome. Ann is everything the first two weren’t, and Nicholas somehow manages to turn the date into a nightmare. He’s late picking her up, he gets a flat tire and he throws up. It’s pretty bad. The next day, he goes back to the Hunks studio, where each girl gets to tell the world how their dates went. Jakki and Susan are pretty mean, but Ann says she had a wonderful time. They agree to go out again.

A bunch of Nicholas’ friends are at the Hunks taping, and Jessica and Todd are among them. After the show, the guys all want to go to a nearby burrito stand and Todd asks Jessica to join them. Jessica says Sam loved burritos so she couldn’t possibly go with them. She’ll just go home. Todd offers to go with her, and they end up on the beach again. Jessica is wearing one of Liz’s sweaters and Todd is all confused and weirded out. When Jessica starts making out with him, he kisses her back while thinking about Liz.

Crazy Margo kills the little boy she’s been babysitting, steals a bunch of money from his parents’ house and leaves Cleveland. She’s on her way to California, where she thinks she’ll find her real family. For some reason, the voice in her head tells her to get off the bus in Houston. She hangs out at the Houston bus station for sixteen hours, and then an old woman sits down next to her with a newspaper. There’s a picture on the front page that Margo thinks is a picture of herself at first, but then sees the girl has blond hair and a dimple and is going to be going to trial on manslaughter charges.

“I’ve been a fool,” [Pamela] mumbled through her sobs. “I’ve been a stupid, stupid fool.”

Show of hands: who actually talked like this at sixteen years old?

The Cover: That must be the Wakefields’ house. Isn’t it quaint? Liz is looking at me and I don’t like it. There’s way too much denim going on over there with Todd and Jessica on the beach.

Tags: , ,

Comments
  • Amanda August 25, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Way too much denim. People just don’t understand denim balance. LOL. In high school my best friend wore jeans and a light denim jacket buttoned all the way up, ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. The same one for 4 years! People said some cruel stuff.

• Shannon August 25, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Oh, your poor friend, Amanda! I have to admit to some pretty egregious denim fashion mistakes in my younger days. My favorite outfit was jeans, a black turtleneck and a denim vest. I was so hip.

• Jenna August 25, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Ooooh Margo is such a badass! Jessica is completely nuts by this time. She needs to just mourn Sam and see a shrink to help her with her manipulation ‘issues’.

Shannon – My favorite outfit in 5th grade was jeans, a white turtleneck with a black and white Stussy shirt over that. We could’ve been opposite friends. This was, of course, on the days I didn’t wear stretch pants and an oversize shirt, or a bodysuit with a long skirt. Early 90’s WIN.

• Shannon August 25, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Jenna, another favorite outfit of mine was a hot pink unitard, with full long sleeves and legs, under a denim miniskirt and white t-shirt. *facepalm* I can’t believe some of the things my mother let me wear to school!

• Abi August 25, 2009 at 1:05 pm

*raises hand to being a fool*

I really really hate Jessica. I could handle her being manipulative and deceitful, but after this book, I decided that she really doesn’t give a damn about anyone other than herself and that she is a really is just a bitch.

I never wore crazy outfits, but then again, I was definitely a 90s kid more than the 80s..

• Shannon August 25, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I mean, we’ve all been fools, but saying, “I’ve been such a fool!” kind of sounds like something Scarlet O’Hara would say, you know?

Anyway, I agree. Jessica is really awful in these books.

• Merrie August 25, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Anyone remember when khacki pants, a white shirt and demin button shirt was the official uniform?

Karla Reply:

Yes! And sometimes the badasses would switch that up with a Metallica shirt. HAWT.

• Sandy August 25, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Did anyone wear combat boots with skirts?? Or was it just me? Wow, Sweet Valley is really straying from the formula. I guess they realized that 12 year olds in the 90’s were different from 12 year olds in the 80’s.

• Jenna August 25, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Sandy – If by ‘boots’ you mean my 10 hole steel toe blue Doc Marten’s that I rocked all through high school? Then yes, I totally remember, haha. That was in the late 90’s though. . . *cringes* Hooray for plaid and denim?!

Shannon – Pink unitard? How Dana Larson of you! I still think that outfit sounds cute! Of course, the highlight of my year was an 80’s party, for which I got dressed about 5 hours early for and felt really cool. . .

• Shannon August 25, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Sandy, yes! Combat boots and skirts were the coolest thing ever.

Jenna, I really was a mini Dana Larson.

Merrie, I remember the preppy kids and their khaki pants, but not so much the denim button-downs. It sounds awful.

I really miss how awesome I looked in the nineties.

• Children of the 90s August 25, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I totally remember this book–just seeing the cover brought back so many Sweet Valley memories. I just love the Margo character. She’s so ridiculous and outlandish, even for Sweet Valley.

• Megan August 25, 2009 at 4:38 pm

My favorite 9th grade outfit was denim leggings under a peach babydoll dress, with hiking boots and a flannel over it all. Oh dear. But better than 6th grade, when my fave outfit was black Spandex leggings with jean shorts over them, a black shirt, and a white straw Blossom hat with a big red flower. *cringe*

Damn it Jessica, you’re insane. Maybe Margo really is related to you.

• Sandy August 25, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I’m just laughing at how cool we all thought we were. I’m sure I could tell the date of a picture just by what I was wearing.

• Lorelai August 25, 2009 at 9:15 pm

These book covers SUCKED, but they’re slightly better than the next version, where they remodelled the twins and they looked nothing alike.

PS thanks for adding me to your blogroll 🙂

• cordee August 25, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Hey, Shannon! Like the new digs! If Jessica was so in love with the Sam-guy, why is she making out with Todd? So many questions, so few logical answers…as usual. I think I might actually drive myself insane trying to unravel these mysteries.

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll, as well! 😀

• Shannon August 25, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Cordee and Lorelai, I love both your blogs! As for Jessica making out with Todd, I get the feeling we’re supposed to think she’s all messed up about Sam’s death and doesn’t really know what she’s doing, but it fails miserably and comes across as Jessica being her usual manipulative self.

Cot90s, I think Margo had to be written. Like, this is what the ghostwriter really wanted to do with Jessica: a totally insane person with absolutely no morals. Margo is what Jessica would be if Liz wasn’t around to try to teach her right from wrong.

Megan, I am SO jealous of your Blossom hat!

• Lindsay aka Daners Isadora August 25, 2009 at 9:51 pm

How come the floating heads look nothing like the twins on the cover? That bothers me.

And for the fuck of shit (wink) how is it possible to hate a character from a freaking YA novel so much? I would like to beat Jessica Wakefield about the face and neck with a blunt object repeatedly.

Also, Todd is a tardface.

• Shannon August 25, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Lindsay, that’s been bothering the hell out of me, too. What’s more, I think the twins look totally different from one book to the next. I hate these covers.

I also hate both twins. When I start to like one, I start to hate the other. They’re so damned irritating. I will join you in a Jessica Wakefield beatdown because she deserves it. For the fuck of shit!

Todd. Yes, he is a tardface. And a jackass.

• Christine August 26, 2009 at 2:31 am

I wish Pamela *had* slept around so Bruce would have to deal with his double standard bullshit. Either way, she’s too good for him. Oh sure, it’s a classic story, “good” girl reforms “bad” boy, but the writers went too far with Bruce – he’s just too despicable to have a believable redemption. And let’s face it, the writers want to keep him bad, hence the sudden horrible treatment of his last too-good-for-him-girlfriend-who-died-indirectly-but-still-totally-because-of-him! (Wow, Jessica and Bruce are soulmates, aren’t they? I wish they’d fall in love then kill eachother.)

Jessica and Todd really care about Liz, deep down, yup, uh-huh. Todd’s an asshat not being there for his girlfriend when she most needs him, and Jessica’s evil for trying to take away her sister’s support systems…on top of everything else she’s done to her! God! I hate her for blaming Liz for Sam’s death. I don’t care if the books hint that she knows the truth but can’t handle the truth and this is her crazy way of coping. Meh. No sympathy from me.

I can’t believe *nobody* has considered the idea (yet) that the prom punch might’ve been spiked. Don’t they know goody-two-shoes Liz at all? Don’t they know school dances and dumb teenagers or crazy competitive JESSICA at all? Arrgh, I really hate this story arc.

• Shannon August 26, 2009 at 8:30 am

That would be awesome!

Yeah, it takes a really long time for anyone to consider spiked punch. These people are all idiots.

• DarfurHerald August 26, 2009 at 11:56 am

Wait, Ned’s representing his own daughter??! Is that legal!!?

Also, I used to wear jeans and a tight denim jacket of the same color over different polo shirts with bands of various colors on them, like chocolate brown and pink.

Meredith Reply:

Yeah you can represent your own child as a lawyer although like another poster wrote I don’t get what kind of lawyer Ned is since in other books it seems like he’s a corporate lawyer.

• Shannon August 26, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I know, and at this point, do we even know what kind of lawyer Ned actually is? Seems like he can handle any kind of case that comes his way.

Also, were your jeans different colors? I believe I had a pink pair at one point. I thought I was so fab.

• Kate August 26, 2009 at 1:33 pm

The moral of the Pamela subplot seems to be that you can only be a redeemable person if the rumors about your sexual activity are false. If she had ever actually had sex with one or more people, she would clearly have deserved to be hated and shunned. At least, that’s the way ethics and human goodness seem to work in Sweet Valley.

• DarfurHerald August 26, 2009 at 6:36 pm

My jeans and jacket were boring medium blue denim. But I thought it was cool that my jacket had bronze-tone buttons!! Lol.

• Vivian September 18, 2009 at 1:52 pm

For about five seconds in the 80’s, I wore two watches on the same wrist. I was trying to start a trend. It didn’t work.

• Shannon September 18, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Vivian, I did many similar things that sadly never caught on. People just don’t know cool when they see it.

• Katia November 25, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Sex, murder and trials in SV!!!! im a a junkie i tell u.

• Karla January 12, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Two words: BENETTON RUGBIES.

• Jessica Squits the Quad December 28, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Aw, I totally identifed with Jessica in this book. I’d so be out for revenge too! A boyfriend for a boyfriend. And she was totally right in thinking that Steven only came home every weekend because he was worried about Elizabeth. How about sharing some of his wisdom with her about losing a partner? Not that Steven dealt with Tricia’s death very well, but at least he actually understands what Jessica is going through unlike everyone else in this goddamned town. But no, it’s all Liz this and Liz that and poor Liz.

Which reminds me!!! Don’t you love how even though she was driving while totally trashed everyone just assumes she’s innocent? And then steven’s all “well if u remember oncoming lights it must be THEIR fault”! What, perfect Elizabeth couldn’t possibly cross over into oncoming traffic? Oh and the hooker starts crapping on about actually being GLAD that Elizabeth isn’t in her line of work because then Liz would steal all her business!! As if.

Also, did anyone else notice that what was called the Rossi family in the IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING BOOK was called the Smith family in this one?!

• princess me May 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

Yeah, a giant fuck you to Jessica Wakefield. Stupid little selfish mole.

If I was Elizabeth, I’d never ever forgive her for this. (I also wanted to bash Elizabeth’s face in for forgiving Jessica and Todd and being their Maid of Honor in Sweet Valley Confidential, but i digress.) It always used to annoy me that Jessica could do whatever she wanted, fuck with whoever she wanted, ruin whoever’s lives then cry, wail, bitch and moan at Elizabeth about how it wasn’t her fault or she didn’t mean it, or she shouldn’t be held responsible and stupid moronic Elizabeth would be all “Right, people of SVH, I am Elizabeth, I am God, you WILL forgive Jessica because I say so. Amen.” and everyone would be all “okay, Jessica, you runied our lives, but no, your sister says we should forgive you, so you’re cool.”

Get. Fucked.

Anyways, Steven…. i dunno why but I always liked him. Even if he was a giant idiot most of the time. Just my 10c…..

Oh, and despite my ranting above, I LOVED these books. Loved them. I just wanted to bash up the Wakefield twins for being selfish brats all the time. heh heh.

Yeah. Sorry about the essay….

• Kat July 29, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Why has no one mentioned the awful camel-toe Jessica is supporting? I can’t get past it. These covers are awful! I hate them, I hate the new rendition of the twins, and I hate the story arc! (not so much not to continue reading though, on to book 99 😉 just love to hate these books and can’t get enough!)

• Dane Youssef September 1, 2012 at 3:24 am

I liked the essay! No, really. Don’t just submit a little fortune-cookie line. Go for the whole full-fledged editorial column.

I agree! Let’s have it all!

• Krista November 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Why didn’t anyone (Liz, Enid, her parents, her lawyers, the police) at least consider that someone could have spiked her drink at the prom? All you needed to ask Liz was if she had her drink with her at all times (the answer, of course, being no), and you have at LEAST a plausible scenario.

• Natalie June 29, 2014 at 6:31 am

Olivia and Nicholas besties and story reading like they always had been.
    Alrighty then.

• Kim December 6, 2015 at 8:53 pm

“She’s also decided that the only thing that will really make her feel better is if Liz goes down for murdering Sam.”

What a crazy ass bitch.

“Liz sees a newspaper sticking out of Enid’s bag. She grabs it and sees her own picture on the front page and an article about how she’s going to stand trial. Liz gets it into her head that Enid meant for her to find the newspaper and embarrass her, so she runs out of the cafeteria.”

How could Enid mean for her to find it? She’s the one who went through Enid’s bag. Now if Enid had sat the paper down next to the bag, that’s another story.

“But all of them lied and said she did because nobody wanted to be known as the guy she wouldn’t sleep with. So now everyone thinks Pamela is a total whore.”

So this poor girl’s reputation is ruined because a bunch of guys lied on her. Typical.

“Todd hugs her and says he knows how she feels because he misses Liz so much.”

I’m confused. Is there any particular reason why he’s not calling & hanging out with Liz? What’s stopping him if he misses her so much? She’s clearly not still in jail, so…..

“This pisses Jessica right off, but she pretends it doesn’t and holds Todd closer.”

I’m convinced Jessica is jealous of Liz. This goes beyond the accident & Sam’s death. This girl has a severe inferiority complex.

“When Jessica starts making out with him, he kisses her back while thinking about Liz.”

I find it interesting that guys constantly seem to choose Liz over Jessica. Even when Jessica gets the guy, they’re still thinking about, lusting for or longing for Liz. Another reason Jessica feels second best to Liz.

“She hangs out at the Houston bus station for sixteen hours, and then an old woman sits down next to her with a newspaper. There’s a picture on the front page that Margo thinks is a picture of herself at first, but then sees the girl has blond hair and a dimple and is going to be going to trial on manslaughter charges.”

So this random Sweet Valley case made front page news in Houston?

• Kim December 6, 2015 at 8:58 pm

“She went out with Jake to try to get him to tell people the truth about her, but he just got pissed and kept her out all night just to be mean. It was him Bruce saw bringing Pamela home that day.”

Idk if I buy her story. Bruce saw her kiss the guy when she got out of the car. Why the hell would she kiss him? I had to go back and check to make sure I read that right.

• Kim December 6, 2015 at 10:20 pm

I wondered about why Ned wasn’t representing Liz and hired the guy who was an asshole, but figured it was kinda like how doctor’s aren’t allowed to operate on friends and relatives. Then the next sentence says Ned fired the lawyer and represented her himself. In real life Idk how it works.

• Alex Kennedy August 4, 2016 at 3:57 am

It infuriates me how Jessica keeps banging on and on about how much she hates her sister. It was Jessica who spiked the drink. I know it is silly to become so emotional over these books, but Jessica wrote her sister’s drink when she spiked it. Jessica is so petty – all she cared about was that Princess or Queen business.

• Kristina Rodriguez December 13, 2016 at 5:32 pm

I just really hate Jessica. I just wish she kills herself. She’s just a selfish bitch.