Sweet Valley High #79: The Long-Lost Brother

SVH079The moral of the story: Don’t read any books with Sara Eastborne as the main character.

The Big Deal: Lila’s beach party, pool party at the Wakefields’ house

Today we meet Sara Eastborne, who recently moved to town with her mother and who seems terrified of her twin brother, Tim. Sara is very mysterious about her brother and tells everyone he stayed on the east coast with her father after their parents got divorced. In reality, Tim is in reform school because he drinks, does drugs and stole a car. Sara’s mom gets a letter from Tim and tries to tell Sara to stop being so hard on him because he’s really cleaned up his act, but Sara says he’s an embarrassment to the family. Her mother tries to tell her to go to Alateen, the teen version of Al-Anon, but Sara doesn’t think she needs help because everything would be fine if Tim would just change his ways.

Sara goes to dinner with her boyfriend, Bob, that night. It’s her first time meeting his parents and they’re going to the country club. Bob’s parents are total snobs. Sara tunes them out and then looks stupid when she doesn’t hear a question Bob’s mother asks her. After dinner, Bob tells Sara she really blew it with his parents. Sara gets mad for a second, but does the Sweet Valley girl thing and apologizes to Bob. He asks her to a beach party Lila’s throwing and Sara is relieved that he still wants to date her. At the party, Sara is distracted because she’s thinking about all her problems (what problems?), and Bob gets mad at her for not having a good time. When she gets home, her mother tells her Tim is moving to Sweet Valley. Sara is terrified that she’ll lose her prince of a boyfriend. Ugh. When Tim gets to town, Sara tells him she’s been lying about his past and he just better not ruin things for her by telling anyone the truth.

Liz writes an article about Sweet Valley’s battered women’s shelter and everyone praises her and tells her how much she’s helping society by writing articles like this. Blah. She’s doing a whole series about different programs, and she sits in on an AA meeting. She meets Tim and hears his whole story about the things he did and the way his sister is treating him. Liz and Tim talk after the meeting, and Liz offers to show him around school the next day.

Over the next few days, Tim becomes pretty popular. He starts dating Sara’s best friend, Amanda, and becomes close with Liz and Todd. Then Crunch McAllister’s van gets stolen, and Tim is the prime suspect. His whole past comes out. Amanda is pissed at Sara for not telling her the truth about Tim because best friends are supposed to share everything. Bob breaks up with Sara, but come on, he’s a jackass anyway, right?

Sara blames all her problems on Tim, who takes it pretty well. Sara finally tells Tim she thinks it’s his fault their parents got divorced. Tim is hurt and tells Sara their parents were having problems long before he stole that car. He tells Sara she should go to Alateen. And she does one day, but only after Liz asks her to go with her. ‘Cause it’s always Liz. After that, everything magically turns around. Sara and Amanda make up, Tim and Amanda make up, Tim gets cleared of all charges regarding Crunch’s van, Sara realizes she never really liked Bob, anyway, and everyone goes to an awesome pool party at the Wakefields’ house.

This book made me want to scream. I mean, more than usual. The quotes below are just a taste of the horrors I endured. Sara’s an obnoxious martyr and I hate Liz and this just wasn’t fun at all.

If there are any young girls in the audience, just remember that if something makes you uncomfortable, then there is something wrong with it.

For a moment, Sara was furious. Then she remembered how much she liked Bob Hillman, and how popular he was at school.

Somebody kill me.

Because she knew it was important to Bob that she appear to be having a good time, Sara threw herself into the volleyball tournament.

Why isn’t it important to Bob that you actually have a good time?

Elizabeth and the Number 137!

He didn’t need to tear other kids down to feel good about himself, and that was another of the million and thirty-seven things Elizabeth liked about him.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments
  • Jan aka Girl Talk Read July 22, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Sara E. is a TERRIBLE human being. And her BF bob kinda reminds me of Gordon Stoddard from ” Rumors” ( I am reading it now) but like even WORSE!

• the "s" word July 22, 2009 at 3:52 pm

“The moral of the story: Don’t read any books with Sara Eastborne as the main character.”

Thank God we only have to suffer the one.

-MR.

• yasoup July 22, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Sara just set the feminist revolution back about thirty years! Really, forcing yourself to enjoy everything your boyfriend likes? I understand sharing interests, but making yourself miserable for it? Dressing in what your boyfriend says????!

• Callie July 22, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Sara must have a slamming body and not be self-conscious even slightly. A white bathing suit? That’s true bravery, it’s basically going nude. She gets 10 points for that, but minus a million for her severe case of SVH Inferiorit-itis.

• Sadako July 22, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Don’t you wish your girlfriend wore a white bathing suit like me…don’t you…yeah. Well, just wait till all the girls start talking shit about her behind her back for wearing white after Labor Day! or something.

• Daners Isadora- Bond Girl July 22, 2009 at 7:01 pm

There are battered women shelters in Sweet Valley? I’ll bet they’re all on the same side of the tracks Tricia Martin lived on.

And Sara, didn’t your mom just tell you Tim was cleaning up his act? Give him a break. If I was related to you, I’d probably do drugs and commit hood rat stuff, too.

Liz has NO backbone.

Bob is totally a future wife beater

• Kate July 23, 2009 at 11:24 am

Bob is totally a future wife beater!

And I had NO IDEA that the twins had a pool.

I love the look of white swimsuits, they’re so Bond-girl, but they have to be lined about 6x more than a normal bathing suit or everyone can see your nipples and pubes and butt crack when you get wet. Is that why Bob wanted her to wear one? So that she would suddenly appear naked as soon as she got wet?

• Karla January 12, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I hope Sara gets her period in that white bathing suit.

• Lelandria July 2, 2011 at 2:51 am

I hate how amazed everyone is that the twins look alike. Helllloooooo does nobody know the meaning if the words IDENTICAL TWINS, it means they are IDENTICAL!! UGH!!! This book made me want to go all Hitler on it and burn it to a crisp.

• Kim January 3, 2016 at 5:17 am

“Bob grinned. “Wear that white swimsuit you bought last week, OK?” he said. “I want all the other guys to wish you were their girlfriend.”

Sara felt vaguely uncomfortable, but she ignored the sensation. Bob just wanted her to look her best, she figured. There was nothing wrong with that.”

I get the feeling if a guy said that to Jessica, she’d be flattered and totally cool with it.

“I hate Liz and this just wasn’t fun at all.”

I seriously don’t get the Liz hate-fest. I think she’s a sweet heart.

“The Cover: I don’t know what happened to Elizabeth. This looks like SVT Liz with boobs (sort of) and slightly shorter hair. And look at that troubled expression on Tim’s face. I think he’s really upset about his denim tuxedo there.”

Liz does look younger on this particular cover. She looks no where near 16 (maybe 12). Then again neither does the guy Tim.

“In other news, Jessica is still all annoyed at the things she has to do as Miss Teen Sweet Valley, and Liz ends up posing as her and passing out cheese samples at the mall while wearing a formal dress and a tiara. Why? So Jessica can accept a date to go surfing with some guy.”

I really wish Liz would stop covering Jessica’s ass all the damn time. That’s why she’s such a brat now. This bitch is never gonna learn responsibility cause she’ll always have Liz there to clean up her messes.

• hippiegeekgirl February 6, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Um, I don’t really know but I’m pretty sure you just can’t randomly “sit in” on an AA meeting. Because, you know, anonymous.

I can’t believe how much I liked these books as a teen. Today, they make me stabby!

• Elaina May 25, 2017 at 3:15 pm

I thought that was Sara on the cover. Maybe I’m wrong?