Sweet Valley High #75: Amy’s True Love

SVH075The moral of the story: Amy Sutton will turn you gay.

The Big Deal: Party at the Beach Disco, and another at Enid’s

Jean West has just broken up with Tom McKay. She’s crying about it at lunch one day when Amy sits down and announces she’s had a crush on Tom and wants to “get to know him a little better.” Jean leaves the table, and even Jessica thinks Amy was out of line. She and Lila decide to give her the silent treatment for a while.

Amy does badly on a sociology paper, and Ms. Jacobi says she can earn extra credit by working at a clinic answering a teen helpline. Yeah, I would not want Amy Sutton answering if I had to call one of those. That night at dinner, Amy tells her parents an inane story about guys flirting with her at school. Amy’s mother tells her she wants her to get serious about school and her future. Amy feels bad about herself and I guess I’m supposed to feel sorry for her, but the next thing she thinks is that having a steady boyfriend will show her parents how grown-up she is.

Amy does surprisingly well her first day at Project Youth and impresses Barry, a guy who works there and also happens to be good friends with Tom McKay. Amy finds Tom and Barry on the tennis courts the next day and acts like she needs some tips on tennis. Tom doesn’t take the hint, but Barry offers his help. Amy later confides in Barry that she likes Tom, then doesn’t notice how sad Barry seems at this news.

Enid’s cousin, Jake, comes to town. Everyone is all excited to meet him, so there’s a big party at the Beach Disco. At the party, Amy can’t get Tom to dance with her and asks Barry to help her. Jessica overhears Tom and Barry talking. Tom says he’s not interested in Amy and Barry says he wishes she liked him instead. Jessica knows Barry is really smart and serious and wonders how he could be in love with someone like Amy.

Tom and Jake get along really well and play tennis together the next day. Tom gets all emo when he realizes Jake is going home soon. Then he thinks about Jean and wonders what happened to their relationship. All he knows is that it just didn’t feel right.

Enid is having a party at her house for Jake and Liz goes over to help. When she gets there, it’s clear something has happened between Enid and Jake, but Enid says she can’t tell Liz what’s going on. Amy shows up at the party and immediately starts going after Tom, so Tom finds Jake and they go outside to take a walk. They talk for a while, and Jake tells Tom that he doesn’t have a lot of friends because most people ditch him when they find out he’s gay. Tom feels really weird about this revelation and doesn’t react very well.

A few days later, Enid tells Liz about Jake being gay and the two of them have a grand conversation about how people should be respectful of one another. You can almost feel the self-righteous smugness coming off the page. Tom keeps replaying Jake’s confession and wonders if he reacted negatively because maybe he’s gay, too. He tells everything to Mr. Collins, who sends him to Project Youth. When he gets there, Tom runs into Liz, who is there doing a story for The Oracle. She sees him reading a pamphlet about homosexuality, so Tom tells her what’s on his mind and asks her not to tell anyone he was there. After Tom’s session at Project Youth, he tells Barry he might be gay. Barry doesn’t mind and they go ahead and play their tennis game.

Amy, still convinced she can win Tom over, buys some concert tickets and tells Barry she’s going to ask Tom to go with her. Barry tells her Tom doesn’t like her, so Amy gets mad at Barry and ignores him the rest of the day. I guess she doesn’t believe him, because she asks Tom to the concert the next day at lunch in front of everyone. He turns her down, but she keeps trying to get him to go. Kirk Anderson calls her a dumb blonde because she’s not getting the hint. Humiliated, Amy leaves the table and avoids everyone. She gets a note from Tom apologizing about the concert and telling her not to worry about Kirk. Then Jessica finds her and tells her Barry must really like her because he told Kirk off. Amy acts like she’d never like someone like Barry, but then Jessica says Barry is cute, so now Amy feels like it’s okay to like him. She takes him to the concert and they start dating.

Even Amy’s relationship with Bruce Patman, though long-term, had not been true love, nothing like the relationship Elizabeth Wakefield had with Todd Wilkins.

Why, why, why are Liz and Todd the standard everyone wants to meet at Sweet Valley High? They’re such a terrible couple.

The Cover: First of all, what the hell happened to Amy? She used to be cute. Second, how did everyone not know Tom was gay?

Tags: ,

Comments
  • Jan aka Girl Talk Read July 15, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Amy is terrible- I hated her in both SV Twins and Sweet Valley High she just stinks no matter what. And Tom looks like my friend Curt- and yeah Curt, like Tom, is gay.

I don’t remember hating her in the Twins books, but I sure hate her in SVH.

• Sadako July 15, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Kay how the hell has JESSICA not turned anyone gay? And no, her size six figure doesn’t cut it!

• Amy Sutton July 15, 2009 at 2:56 pm

OMG! A real gay in SV!! I can’t decide if I should add him to my group of friends to expand my oh-so-diverse peeps, or if I should shun him for being different!! I’ll ask Jessica. . .

I don’t know, Amy. If you start being friends with gay people, you might have to start hanging out with black people and poor people and fat people too. Is that really what you want?

• Daners Isadora- Bond Girl July 15, 2009 at 8:00 pm

I saw the cover pic in my Google reader and said “that dude’s got serious gayface”. Then I came here and read the first line and about died.

“Jean West has just broken up with Tom McKay. She’s crying about it at lunch one day when Amy sits down and announces she’s had a crush on Tom and wants to “get to know him a little better.””

Amy is such a whore.

• Anners, Lover of Chandler July 15, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Wow, Amy looks all sorts of ‘special’ in that picture and Tom has total busted gay face.

And I’m just here because I follow Daners Isadora around on the internets. ^ 🙂

Sweet recap btw. I stopped reading the last few paragraphs because I have the sudden urge to find this on ebay and read it without knowing how it ends.

I’m glad you stopped by! Just another reason to love Daners: she has followers that follow her to my blog.

I don’t recommend subjecting yourself to reading this crap, by the way. Ha.

• Misty July 15, 2009 at 8:30 pm

While most of the Sweet Vally girls are enough to turn men gay, the SV guys aren’t any better. Bruce, Ken, Todd – who would you really want to go for? And don’t even get me started on Mr. Collins…

Oh, I’m totally with you. Add Winston, Steve Wakefield, Kirk Anderson and his a-hole buddies to the list and you’ve got a great big sausagefest full of lame.

• Enid Rollins July 16, 2009 at 1:19 am

Tom would be a good model for Gay Understanding Ken. *giggle*

I think Todd would turn me lesbian!!!

Ha! They need to make that Ken doll.

I think Todd would turn any self-respecting woman lesbian.

• Jan aka Girl Talk Read July 16, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Well Jeffrey he’s about the only one I’d go for!

• Kate July 16, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Too funny! I particularly love that Liz and Todd have “true love.”

Ick!

• Darren August 17, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Wow, Kirk the Jerk Anderson was still around too, and still being the little snit that he is too! I bet what he tried to do to Elizabeth’s cousin Kelly was payback (Book 45) to the joke pulled on him about Erika. Maybe Kirk should stop behaving like a jerk and get over himself. I personally hope Barry and Tom stuffed him in the school’s dumpster and never seen again.

That was a funny joke that breaking up with Jean west turned Tom gay, or was it dating Amy that turned him gay?

• VLB September 26, 2010 at 2:09 am

I could never get over that terrible cover. Amy looks like a troll! I thought she was supposed to be super hot? Who let that get published?

• sacha May 21, 2011 at 4:15 am

I don’t think the guy in the cover is supposed to be Tom. I think its supposed to be Barry because Tom is supposed to be blond. Even thou that guy looks gay.

• Krista December 11, 2013 at 9:03 pm

“Amy’s mother tells her she wants her to get serious about school and her future.”

I’m guessing Mrs. Sutton longs for the days when Liz and Amy were friends.

• Tom Mckay March 24, 2014 at 3:25 am

I think Jeffrey French made me gay..he’s so hot!

• Natalie February 9, 2015 at 11:56 pm

How could Amy and Bruces’ relatioship by long-term..? Didn’t they last two books or something..?

• Natasha May 17, 2017 at 4:17 am

That’s not Tom that’s Barry. Tom is blonde.

• Natasha May 17, 2017 at 4:17 am

Only one I think.

• Why I disliked this book... June 28, 2017 at 2:13 pm

1. Okay – so Amy becomes this whiz at the teen talkline thing – but what upsets me is the fact that she took a call with relatively little training. In the real World, you need to undergo hours of training before you deal with a “live call.”
    2. Enid being uncomfortable with Jake being gay – I thought that she was a bit more diplomatic than that – why would she feel so uncomfortable
    3. Nowadays it would be a case of Tom coming out to a friend:
    Tom: Amm, I just thought that I would tell you… I;m… gay…
    Friend: Ummm, yeah… I knew that…

And everything would just carry on as normal… So what if Tom likes guys better than girls???