Sweet Valley High #64: The Ghost of Tricia Martin

SVH064The moral of the story: Eating chef salad does not make you Tricia Martin, but it’s enough to fool Steven Wakefield.

The Big Deal: Lila and Jessica go to a Palisades High party.

Steven is home from college to work on his legal ethics paper and he meets a girl who looks exactly like Tricia Martin, his dead girlfriend. Come on! How many girls can there possibly be out there who look like Tricia? He cancels a date with Cara to go out with Andrea. At dinner, he basically forces her to get the chef salad because that’s what Tricia would have ordered. He calls her Tricia three times before she asks what the deal is. He tells her about her resemblance to his dead love. Strangely enough, Andrea wants to see him again. If it were me, I’d be out of there before you could say, “Creepy ghost stalker.” The next morning, Steve tells Liz all about Andrea. He’s excited and happy because Andrea likes chef salad and walking on the beach, just like Tricia did. Liz thinks Steve is losing his marbles and tries to convince him to forget about Andrea.

Steve calls Cara and tells her he’s going to pick her up, but he doesn’t know what he wants to do so he says he’ll surprise her. On the way to her apartment, he decides they’ll go for a hike at Secca Lake. Cara gets into the car wearing sandals. Steve is all disappointed, but Cara is willing to hike anyway. It isn’t too long before she starts to get a blister and Steve thinks to himself that Andrea wouldn’t be whining and complaining, she’d be ready for anything. Steve tells Cara he’s thinking about learning to hang glide. Cara mentions that hang gliding is dangerous and Steve gets pissed off at how unsupportive she is. He feels sure that Andrea would have been excited and told him to go for it. He picks a fight and then takes Cara home.

I HATE STEVEN WAKEFIELD.

Lila and Jessica go to a Palisades High party. There’s a hippie named Keith playing a guitar and all the girls seem mesmerized by him. Jessica finds out he’s really into, like, the environment or whatever. She decides to flirt with him because it’ll be fun to see if she can get him interested in her. Of course it works, but only because he thinks she wants to save the world like he does. They spend their first “date” handing out leaflets about recycling and the next at a public hearing about trash incinerators. In other news, Ned and Alice have been fighting a lot lately and the kids are worried. Every conversation they try to have turns into an argument. It’s all very disquieting.

Steve takes Andrea to the aquarium and marvels over the fact that she likes otters just like Tricia did. He thinks Andrea is way better than Cara, but he’s bothered by the fact that Andrea is wearing her hair up. Tricia would have worn it loose. He takes the clip out of Andrea’s hair, and when she starts to put it back up again, he asks her to keep it down. Ew. And she does it. Double ew. They go for ice cream and Steve is bothered again when she wants vanilla instead of chocolate, Tricia’s favorite. A week goes by and Cara is getting really worried about the status of her relationship. She goes to the mall with Jessica and Lila, and they stop at the store where Andrea works. They all comment on how much Andrea looks like Tricia, and then the store phone rings. Cara overhears Andrea mention hang gliding, fighting parents and a legal ethics paper. Then Andrea actually says Steve’s name and Cara freaks out when Andrea makes a date with him. She runs out of the mall and takes a bus home.

Cara calls Steve the next day to tell him she understands about Andrea. Steve just gets pissed that she was “spying” on him. They break up. Then Steve crashes while hang gliding. Cara gets to the hospital just in time to hear Steve call out Tricia’s name. She runs out of the room, and then Steven says her name. Jessica goes to try to find her and tell her, but Cara’s already gone. Jessica drags whatshisname to a movie and sees Andrea with another guy. She and Liz are visiting Steve at the hospital the next day and he says he’s expecting Andrea. Jessica casually tells him what she saw at the theater. Steve angrily gets up and walks over to the window. Down below, he sees Andrea pull up in the passenger seat of some guy’s car and then lean over and kiss the guy before she gets out. Jessica and Liz leave him alone and go to call Cara.

Andrea comes in and Steve demands to know who this other guy is. She says she met him last week and she really likes him. Steve wants to know how she could do this to him after all they’ve been through. Andrea points out that she and Steve have only gone out five times. She eventually convinces him that he’s been weird and she needs to move on. She leaves, and a few minutes later, Cara shows up and she and Steve proclaim their love for each other.

Setup for the next book: Maria Santelli’s father is running for mayor. Ned and Alice are still fighting a lot.

“Hi,” Jessica said. “What was that song you were just singing? I couldn’t hear all the words.”

Keith pushed his hair off his forehead. “It’s about the industrial giants devouring the land,” he said with a challenging note in his voice. “You probably wouldn’t have liked it.”

Oh, yeah. He’s a keeper.

“And she told me how much she likes to walk on the beach, just like Tricia used to. I still can’t get over it.”

This is pretty much all Steve says during the whole book. “And she likes chef salad! And the aquarium! She’s just like Tricia!”

The Cover: Steve is looking decidedly Spockish on this cover. How is it possible that he never has any expression on his face? And Andrea…doesn’t look a thing like Tricia Martin. Well, I guess they do both have the Sweet Valley button nose. But what is up with Andrea’s rat’s nest of hair?

So, what do you guys think? I’m not really seeing the resemblance.

Tricia-Andrea

Tags: ,

Comments
  • Jan aka Girl Talk Read June 18, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Said it before and will say it again- Andrea’s hair=David Coverdale from Whitesnake’s hair in the 80’s. Seriously.

• Abby June 18, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I see a resemblance between the two pictures. I actually think Tricia’s hair is worse than Andrea’s, as Andrea just has ratty 80s hair whereas Tricia has Raggedy Ann hair.

Steven was a huge jerk in this book. I mean, not that that is something unusual, but he was really extra jerky this time.

• Kate June 18, 2009 at 5:33 pm

I don’t get why everyone is so forgiving in these books! I’d be out if I were Cara.

Andrea looks like Paula Abdul and you’re right, Steven looks like Spock.

• Misty June 18, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Kate – I’m so glad someone else saw the Paula Abdul resemblance! When I first saw this book cover back in the day, I was convinced that it was Paula Abdul.

Also, looking at the cover closely, I can’t help but wonder if Steven has drugged Andrea. She looks a little out of it.

• nugirl77 June 18, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Another great post! Haha! Saves me from having to read the book (sometimes even I hate SVH!).

Can I also suggest that Andrea looks a lot like Linda Hamilton playing Sarah Connor from the first and original 1981 Terminator film?! And the only resemblance between her and Tricia is their badly-permed, poofy 80s hair.

Steven was more normal in the Sweet Valley Twins series. He’s a bit weird and creepy in some of the SVH books.

• HelenB June 18, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I love Steven’s terrible logic. Andrea inhales and exhales air! Just like Tricia used to! This must be fate!

• Shannon June 19, 2009 at 2:30 am

Paula Abdul and Sarah Connor…I can totally see it. And yeah, she does look drugged. So does Steven, though. I think they got into a little something-something while at the “aquarium.”

Come to think of it, Tricia’s eyes look pretty glazed on her cover, too. What’s Steve been up to with these chicks? Cara needs to look out.

• Daners Isadora- Bond Girl June 24, 2009 at 3:37 pm

This was my very first SVH!

And really Steven Wakefield is a creepy individual.

• Kristine November 25, 2009 at 8:12 am

I hate Steven Wakefield in SVH.

I love him in the Sweet Valley Twins series. He’s funny and always in a fight with the twins and their girl pals.

• Kate April 18, 2010 at 11:48 am

Steven is a freaking psycho. I can’t believe I never noticed it before. I’m going to laugh and laugh if he’s pushing forty in the new books and still obsessed with Tricia; scanning the internet for her lookalikes.

• Countess Fowler June 12, 2011 at 11:56 pm

LOL, I love how you get to the heart of things Shannon. Bluntly put!!!

• Anonymous July 30, 2012 at 12:25 am

Whoa, this shole Andrea-imitates-Tricia-for-Steven’s sake thingis totally like “Vertigo” where the main character, Scotty is assigned to trail his former boss’s wife. She seems to be a bit cwaazy. But he accidentally meets her face to face and almost blows his cover. Then she dies falling from a church tower–or so he thinks. The woman whom he trialed and loved was NOT the wide, but was a woman playing her so that the husband could kill the real wife. But Scotty still recognizes the “fake wife” when she’s as herself, and eventually guilts her into dressing and having her hair put EXACTLY as her character did…and I mean exactly. and she fools herself into thinking she’s being kind.

• Tom Mckay March 23, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Tricia Martin looks like Nicole Kidman in Far and Away..

• Mo Lou January 27, 2015 at 1:17 am

I think Andrea looks like LaToya Jackson.

• IN LOVE WITH MATTHEW!!!! May 5, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Two different illustrators probably drew them. And Andrea’s hair wasn’t brushed again after Steven undis it.

• Stephanie May 22, 2016 at 11:47 am

I always thought Tricia was fugly, and Steven a judgemental prick. Really, in no book ever has he been anything but a morose douche. Blech!