Sweet Valley High #23: Say Goodbye

The moral of the story: You should listen to your loved ones. No, wait, you should listen to your heart. Wait, I’m sorry, you should listen to your loved ones…Honestly, I don’t really know what I was supposed to learn from this one, but I feel sure it was one of those two things.

The Big Deal: Party at Lila’s, farewell party for Todd at the Beach Disco

Todd’s father has been transferred so the whole family moves to Vermont. Liz is distraught. Jessica sees this as the perfect opportunity to get her involved with someone more exciting.

Jessica has to get a job to pay back the money she charged on her parents’ Lisette’s account. She finds work as a receptionist for Perfect Match Computer Dating Agency. While there, she goes through the files to try to find a match for Steven because she figures it’s high time he starts dating again. Why she cares so much is beyond me. She comes up with three prospective girlfriends for him. One of them is forty-three years old. I don’t know what she could have been thinking. He’s not interested in any of them.

After Todd leaves, Liz spends most of her time writing him letters and sitting around hoping he’ll call. One night when she’s at Enid’s, Jessica answers the phone when he calls and she tells him he needs to let Liz go. Instead of talking it over with Liz, Todd just stops all communication with her. Liz has no idea what’s going on and assumes Todd has moved on and stopped loving her. She starts spending a lot of time with Nicholas Morrow, who still has a thing for her.

Not much actually happens here, it’s mostly just pages and pages of Liz being sad about Todd. When Todd first moves away, everyone tells her she should leave herself open to dating other guys, but when she starts dating Nicholas they’re all concerned she’s replacing one guy with another. What’s a girl to think? She eventually comes to realize she’s still in love with Todd and has to stop stringing Nicholas along. She decides she’ll tell him right after Lila’s party. After all, she did promise they’d go together and we all know Liz can’t break a promise.

Todd actually shows up at the party because he’s in town for the weekend finalizing some things for his father. He sees Liz dancing with Nicholas and runs out. Liz follows him and they have a good long talk about blah, blah, blah. Bottom line is that they still love each other but they’re not going to hold each other back. Liz tells Nicholas she can’t see him anymore and he basically tells her that was her last chance because he’s not going to let himself fall in love with her again. Poor Nicholas.

Setup for the next book: Steve is driving along when he sees Cara Walker struggling with a flat tire. He pulls over to help her and they end up going for coffee. She’s been having a rough time with her parents’ divorce and Steven can relate to her better now that she’s grown up a little. (Steve, she’s still sixteen.) At Lila’s party, Betsy Martin sees them together and freaks out about how quickly Steve has gotten over Tricia. What a bitch. That was months ago.

Jessica, who never had to worry about her weight, was concentrating on her ice-cream sundae, her aqua eyes serious as she reflected on her twin’s behavior.

Just in case you needed a reminder of how perfect the twins are.

Although she had considered falling in love with him for a wild moment yesterday, she had by now decided he was off limits.

I love that Jessica can just decide who she’s going to fall in love with.

The Cover: Todd’s hair is HUGE! It looks like a big helmet. Liz, of course, is rocking the barrettes.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • HelenB April 10, 2009 at 2:21 am

It’s not very often I think Jessica is right, but a loaf of stale bread is more interesting than Todd.

Also, Todd appears to have the world’s most amazing comb-over. Perhaps he’s moving to Vermont to get treatment for his premature balding?

• Shannon April 10, 2009 at 9:38 am

Yeah, Todd is pretty boring. And his hair really is kind of epic on this cover. I think it’s almost tall enough to be considered a beehive.

• FG April 11, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Did it HONESTLY say that Jessica (with her superior aqua-blue eyes) never has to worry about her weight? *gag*

• nugirl77 May 5, 2009 at 6:34 am

Haha! I love all the above comments about Todd’s hair – it makes his head twice as large as it should be. OK now for the tough-love: I don’t like how Liz keeps stringing Nicholas Morrow along. Since book #14 Deceptions, Nick Morrow has been Elizabeth’s boy-toy, and I totally disapprove. Even going out with JESSICA would be a better option for Nick if this is how Liz ends up treating him! 🙂 I’m glad he finally takes a stand!

• Iwantyoursass March 2, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I’m just re-reading this one and my fave part so far is this quote by Jessica:
    “no dinner! This was serious”
    (in reference to Liz being depressed over Todd)

cracked my shit up.

Ha, I remember that!

• Kylie90210 August 3, 2010 at 12:24 am

I’m so glad Todd is gone. Now if only Jeffers was a bit more interesting. I always thought he was an even more watered down version of Todd!

• Enid the Penid October 4, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Steven’s only 18. Dating someone 2 years younger isn’t bad. Even though she’s his sister’s best friend. Hey, when I was 15/16, I dated an 18 year old. I didn’t think that was creepy.

Though, that boyfriend did end up meeting one of his girlfriends at a junior high dance (grade 7-9). When he was 21+ (not sure how old he was, but he was over 21). Because he was DJ-ing that dance. That was a bit creepy, I guess…

• Kathryn Rebecca March 13, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Todd also looks about 45 in this cover, and is so giant compared to Liz. At least more giant than usual.

• Jessy January 9, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I just spent the last 10 minutes laughing hysterically at Todd’s hair. Oh my god.

• Dane Youssef February 13, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Everyone on here goes on and on and on about how dull Todd is. Yes, Todd is dull. Todd is as boring and stake as–Elizabeth.

See, that’s why they make the perfect couple! Has no one else realized this?

Beige and beige go together….

• Anonymous June 11, 2014 at 7:48 pm

This blog is so much fun. I cant stop reading it! Thank you, thank you, so much. By the way, Todd on this cover looks different to the Todd in Book No.6 Dangerous Love.

• Duder9000 October 7, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Just discovered this blog and I love all your write-ups! Theory that’s mind-blowing but only in a tiny SVH world sort of way: I think this is Nicholas Morrow on the cover, not Todd. It looks like he’s consoling Elizabeth, and it looks much more like the Nicholas Morrow featured on the cover of #14:Deceptions than Todd on #6:Dangerous Love…