Sweet Valley High #22: Too Much in Love

The moral of the story: The best way to get past something bad is to just make yourself busy and forget about it. Just bottle those emotions up. Also, go ahead and throw parties while your parents are away, you’ll totally get away with it.

The Big Deal: Party at the Wakefields’

Ned has to go to Mexico City to pick up some documents for a case (because the mail doesn’t work?) and he’s taking Alice with him. The twins insist they’ll be fine by themselves and their parents stupidly believe them. Liz is student chairman of the committee putting together a talent show at school. She calls DeeDee and asks if she wants to do the set design and DeeDee gets all weird and says she has to ask Bill if he wants to do it too. She thinks that if they don’t spend all their time together, they’ll break up just like her parents did. Bill appears to want her to back off.

We meet Patty Gilbert in this book, a black girl. Just thought that was worth a mention because I’m pretty sure she’s the first non-white kid we’ve met so far. She’s “one of the most popular, talented girls” in the class, so you’d think we’d have met her before now. Patty is DeeDee’s best friend and she tells Liz and Todd how dependent DeeDee has become on Bill. DeeDee is freaking obnoxious. She embarrasses Bill at a swim meet by charging down from the bleachers and throwing herself on him when he wins, she jumps up and waves like an idiot every time he enters the lunch room. She acts like a total weirdo.

Jessica is making a mess of things while Ned and Alice are away. She breaks the washing machine, floods the basement and starts a grease fire all in the space of about five minutes. Then Alice calls to remind the twins that the floor plan for the Williams project is on her drafting table and not to let anything happen to it because it’s the only copy. First of all, the blueprinters and architects will have another copy, it’s not the only one in the world. Second, now I totally know something is going to happen to that floor plan.

Bill goes to see a movie with Dana Larson and of course Jessica sees them together. At a talent show committee meeting at the Wakefields’, Jessica mentions seeing them to DeeDee. DeeDee confronts Bill the next day at school. She gets hysterical and it’s really bad and unfortunately it totally reminds me of something I might have done in high school. Bill has had enough and breaks up with her. Liz finds DeeDee crying in the student lounge and tells her to try to talk things out with Bill. She does, but Bill is too relieved to be free of her and says he needs time to be alone. After that, DeeDee asks Liz for advice constantly and drives her crazy.

Patty and Liz come up with a plan to get DeeDee to regain her self-confidence and get over Bill. It involves the two of them not showing up for a meeting of the talent show committee and making DeeDee take charge. Liz even ends up skipping school for this plan because she’s pretending to be sick. DeeDee gets so busy with talent show stuff that she forgets all about Bill.

Jessica and Liz throw a party while their parents are away. Lila’s college boyfriend shows up with a bunch of his college buddies and they all smell like beer. The police show up and threaten to take Jessica to the police station, but just then Steven comes home and saves the day. Alice’s floor plan gets ruined. (Who didn’t see that coming?) DeeDee is able to fix it – in half an hour – because she took a drafting class last year. What. Ever. This whole story line bothers me because I work with floor plans all day and it’s clear to me that there was absolutely no research done for this book. I should probably get over it.

The twins aren’t in any trouble for throwing a party, the talent show is a smashing success, Bill and DeeDee get back together and DeeDee regains her self-confidence.

Setup for the next book: Todd’s father has been transferred and the Wilkins family is moving to Vermont in a week.

“Now, how in the world does this thing work?” Jessica muttered, staring at the washing machine.

I’m sickened that Jessica has never in her sixteen years had to do laundry.

How could she sleep? How would she ever be able to do anything again? Bill had been her whole life.

Man, I’m sick of these Sweet Valley girls acting like they just won’t be able to “go on” without their boyfriends.

“But the plan is to let DeeDee take care of the whole talent show so she’ll get her self-confidence back…”

“How is messing up the talent show going to help her self-confidence?” Jessica demanded.

That is an excellent point, Jess.

“No one at college ever goes to a party before ten-thirty at the very earliest! They’d rather die. It’s so uncool to be early.”

I just love Lila.

The Cover: DeeDee just looks…weird. Maybe if her eyes were closed she wouldn’t look so strange, but I think she’d still look middle-aged.

Tags: ,

Comments
  • Whitney G April 8, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Bill looks like Hilter’s wet dream, and DeeDee totally has dead-doll eyes. This cover will haunt me.

• HelenB April 10, 2009 at 1:59 am

Oh man, DeeDee looks like she’s his mother… which puts a whole new spin on the position she’s in!

• Shannon April 10, 2009 at 9:35 am

I just realized she kind of looks like an adult midget trying to look like a teenager. I don’t know, there’s just something really creepy about her.

• nugirl77 May 5, 2009 at 7:00 am

Ugliest cover of all the bad SVH covers to date! Bill looks so unfriendly, so totally without compassion, that you wonder WHY Dee Dee is so crazy about him! He only looks slightly less stupid on the cover of book #8 Heartbreaker when Jessica has him by the neck (literally. She’s got a choke-hold on Bill’s neck chain). :0

• Sandy July 28, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I imagined Patty looking like Lisa Turtle from Saved By the Bell. Only because its Cali and she’s uber popular.

• Enid Rollins August 4, 2009 at 6:26 pm

The scene where Jess stared at the friggin washing machine was so funny-disgusting that I wanted to bang the book. Good parenting, NedAlice. Give your kids NO responsibility.

• Claire April 8, 2010 at 6:31 am

And no wonder we’re all fucked up relationship wise……christ i remember being that embarrassing too, best diet = breaking up with a boyfriend between the ages of 15 and 17.
    I blame Francine….we’d all be “strong, independent women” if we didn’t read this at the fragile ages of 11 – 13.

• Kylie90210 August 3, 2010 at 12:21 am

Oh DeeDee. Of course they have to get back together, and DeeDee can’t just be confident about herself.

• MuskokaZombi August 20, 2010 at 8:55 pm

It looks like Johnny from the Cobra Kai is about to put the hurt on Gidget the Midget…..

• Angela2BPecked May 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Most teens in the 80’s looked alot older due to clothing and hair styles.

I think Dee Dee looks lik an adult version of Annie to me!….lol….

Anonymous Reply:

I don’t like her hairstyle at all! lol It’s what makes her look older.

• Carol November 29, 2011 at 1:09 pm

DeeDee got on my last nerve at the beginning of this book.

I have to say that I was laughing out loud imagining Winston, Ken & Jessica in their magic act. LOL

Oh… and the Sweet Valley High Series probably based one of their shows on this book… well at least the part were Jessica has a party while their parents are away. I’m referring to the episode where Todd spends some days at the Wakefield house and Jess throws a party and Lila ends up inviting a lot of people.

• Alex Kennedy July 11, 2016 at 7:49 am

Alice and Ned are in desperate need of some parenting classes. I hope they take better care of their clients than they do their children. Sometimes, I think that these kids would be better off with Homer Simpson or Peter Griffon. What sort of parents go to Mexico and leave their children at home alone? I know that Jessica has done laundry before – ie when Prince Albert ate the washing machine part and I think she had to crawl out of her basement window to use Jeffrey’s or something similar.

• Alex Kennedy November 30, 2016 at 11:46 am

The guy on the cover of this one looks as if he is made of wax.