Sweet Valley High #18: Head Over Heels

The moral of the story: Regina Morrow is so perfect she could be a Wakefield. But since she’s not a Wakefield, she has to move to Switzerland.

The Big Deal: There’s a carnival at the high school to raise money for handicapped children. Does that count? Where are all the dances? We’re about due for one, I think.

Bruce Patman and Regina Morrow are the newest couple at Sweet Valley High. Everyone is concerned about Regina (this comes across in pages and pages about how sweet, perfect and beautiful she is) because Bruce is a jackass, but she claims he’s been perfectly wonderful to her. Jessica hates their relationship, as is evidenced by the fact that “her face darkens” every time she sees them together. She’s sure they’re not going to make it and she and Lila bet their term papers that they’ll break up before the carnival.

Elizabeth is chairperson of the committee organizing the carnival and Regina’s mother is the parent adviser. For some reason, Mrs. Morrow chooses to tell Elizabeth how Regina lost her hearing, even though Regina herself doesn’t even know. Apparently, Mrs. Morrow was a model (of course she was) and when she was pregnant with Regina she used diet pills to lose weight for a swimsuit shoot. The pills messed with the tissue in Regina’s ears and caused her deafness. Now, the Morrows have found a doctor in Switzerland who may be able to restore her hearing, but it would mean living there for a year. Regina doesn’t want to leave Bruce. The Morrows have found a boy named Donald who has had the same treatment and regained his hearing. They invite him to spend a weekend at their house to try to talk Regina into going.

Jessica, as part of her plan to break up Bruce and Regina, joins Liz’s carnival committee because Regina is also on it. She comes up with the idea for a mother-daughter fashion show and offers to go talk to Regina and her mother into doing it. At the Morrows’ house, she drops hints that Bruce is only going out with Regina so he’ll be more popular and win the election for Sweet Valley Centennial Student Committee President. What the hell is that? Regina didn’t even know he was running, so she believes Jessica and breaks up with Bruce. Why do people believe Jessica all the time? Has she ever told the truth about anything? While at the Morrows’, Jessica meets Donald, flirts with him and hints that he should come to the carnival. Later, Todd and Liz go to the Morrows’ and Donald flirts with Liz, thinking she’s Jessica, and Todd gets all jealous. Neither one of them stop to think that maybe he thought he was flirting with Jessica, which is really stupid since Liz knew Jessica had gone over there. Ugh. They make up the next day when that bit of logic finally dawns on them.

Regina decides to go to Switzerland. She confides in Liz and tells her why she broke up with Bruce. Bruce also confides in Liz and she tells him what’s going on. He had been keeping the election secret so it would be a surprise for Regina when he won. Or something. I don’t really get his motives here. Anyway, he writes Regina a (really awful) letter and asks Liz to put it in Regina’s suitcase so she won’t read it until she’s left Sweet Valley. He’s suddenly very selfless and charming. Because he’s in love, you know.

The carnival is wonderful, Lila writes Jessica’s term paper and she gets a D, Regina finds Bruce’s letter and her love for him is renewed, Bruce wins the election and everyone is proud of him for being so selfless and wonderful. The end.

Setup for the next book: Lila goes to the construction site of the building her father is having built and meets a guy named Jack. Jack doesn’t seem at all impressed by her money or the fact that she’s the boss’s daughter. Lila is intrigued and convinced he’s really filthy rich.

So I didn’t imagine it. Okay, so Liz is just stupid. I hate that she just goes to school every day with his punk ass and never does anything about it. She even kisses him on the cheek in this book because she’s so proud of the way he handled the situation with Regina. UGH!

He looks as if he’s seen me before, she thought. But I don’t know who he is!

Jeez, Liz is an idiot sometimes. You have a twin sister, Liz! She looks just like you!

The Cover: Regina looks cute. Hardly the beauty everyone has been claiming she is, but cute enough. She also looks like she’s having a really fun time hugging her man. Bruce looks like every guy I ever hated in high school, right down to his freakishly plump lips.

Tags: , ,

Comments
  • nugirl77 May 5, 2009 at 8:25 am

One of my all-time favorite SVH book covers! Regina Morrow looks unbelievably beautiful, so trusting, so innocent – and even bad-boy Bruce Patman looks a little less like the predator (think back to the cover of #3 Playing With Fire) we all love to hate / hate to love, and more like a trustworthy boyfriend when paired with the lovely Regina. Love saves the day! 🙂

• dirtywingsgirl January 31, 2010 at 1:48 am

“For some reason, Mrs. Morrow chooses to tell Elizabeth how Regina lost her hearing, even though Regina herself doesn’t even know.”
    It never ceases to amaze me the stuff people tell Liz..stuff that no one else in the world knows. Her hair must be full of secrets.

“She also looks like she’s having a really fun time hugging her man.”
    Haha, she really does. It’s so cute.

• sam July 17, 2010 at 12:22 pm

It drives me nuts that they keep talking about Regina ‘losing’ & ‘restoring’ her hearing. Um, she never had hearing in the 1st place…. rmbr that guff about diet pills zeroing in her embryonic fetal ears? Even as an 8 y/o that gave me the shits.
    And what’s with a girl who’s deaf from birth having no speech issues? Oh that’s right, she can ‘distinguish tones’. Pffft.

• Kylie90210 August 2, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I really don’t think Regina is pretty on this cover, may be just me, but model worthy? I don’t think so.

That said, poor Regina! I feel for her!

• bayerngirl74 May 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm

So, I’ve always thought that Bruce looks like a young John Travolta in this picture.

Love the blog, btw. You actually have me laughing out loud at some points. Love your cynical view on it all. I think I may have a girl crush on you!

• Twisted Sister October 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Jessica got the lying gene from Samantha

• caligirl76 November 1, 2011 at 4:10 pm

“He looks as if he’s seen me before, she thought. But I don’t know who he is!”

That was so dumb and even dumber that Todd also didn’t think about it and got upset with Liz LOL!

• Kathryn Rebecca March 13, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I think Bruce looks a little like Mark Harmon.

About Regina’s being deaf- it’s been so long since I read the books, does she read lips, or what? Is she completely deaf, or just hard of hearing?

• Erica Chestnut October 24, 2012 at 8:42 am

One of my favorite parts of this story was when Jessica called the Morrow house and asked to speak to Regina and her mom is all like “She can’t talk on the phone, she can’t hear you.” and Liz is all like “Jess, you moron.” (this is paraphrased, of course.) Still, I found it pretty funny that Jessica is so stupid and even perfect Liz called her on it.

Also, Kathryn Rebecca, Regina is supposedly completely deaf but can lip read.

• Nikki July 8, 2014 at 11:51 am

Regina was one of my favorite characters. I was so mad when the author decided to kill her off. Dumb decision IMO. She was a likable character that had the potential to become a regular in the series like Lila, Bruce, Winston, etc.

“Jessica hates their relationship, as is evidenced by the fact that “her face darkens” every time she sees them together.”

Why does Jessica care? She’s obviously still salty at how their relationship ended and bitter that Bruce fell for Regina when Jess couldn’t get Bruce to give 2 shits about her when they dated.

“Jessica, as part of her plan to break up Bruce and Regina”

Again why does Jess even care enough about their relationship to make plans to break them up? Jessica is such a cock blocker. I never noticed back when I was reading these books what an annoying trait/habit that was that she had. Get a life, Jessica. She likes to play with people’s lives for no real reason other than for “fun” or to just cause trouble. It’s not like she even wanted Bruce for herself at this point.

“Elizabeth didn’t like Bruce Patman one bit. He had tried to take advantage of her after her motorcycle accident when she was suffering from memory loss and wasn’t herself.”

I always felt like the author used Regina to redeem Bruce for this incident.

• Alex Kennedy November 24, 2016 at 10:42 am

Why does Jessica always try to break up couples? She wants every guy for herself. How can she do this to her so-called friends? I know this is fiction, but what sort of persons seeks to jeopardise the happiness of other people by trying to break them up as a couple?

• anon May 13, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Jessica was deep down jealous of the fact that Bruce fell in love with someone and it wasn’t her. That’s why she did everything to break them up. It’s pretty mean how she went about doing it.